Make Repairs Before Selling?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Marcy512, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Marcy512

Marcy512 New Member

I have a 2004 Fleetwood Bayside. It appears that the roof has been leaking - there are wrinkles on the ceiling, rust in one of the lights, and mildew around the perimeter of the ceiling. There are mold/mildew stains on the canvas, which have been there for a few years. (I tried scrubbing it, using Dreft as the instruction manual says, but it didn't come out.) I want to sell it and am wondering if it's worth replacing the canvas and repairing/replacing the roof, or should I sell it as is for a lower price? Can I seal the seams on the roof without causing more damage by trapping the moisture inside? Thank you!

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Sell as is

Marcy512 and kcsa75 like this.
  3. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

As is. You won't get your money back on repairs.

Marcy512 likes this.
  4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Best to sell as is and disclose the issues. It will be a fair amount of work to fix if the roof structure is rotted. People are buying campers left and right these days, odds are someone will buy it pretty quick.

Rik Peery and Marcy512 like this.
  5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

As if this has never happened with other AlumiTite a.k.a. AlumiLeak roof! [LOL]

Do that and there's not a chance you'll recover your full investment as the roof itself will need a complete rebuild. Full tenting replacement will likely be ~ $1200 USD and it won't be Sunbrella.

Unfortunately what you're selling is a project so advertise it as such and price it accordingly.

Marcy512 likes this.
  6. Danny and Liza

Danny and Liza New Member

Sell it as is. Maybe throw a coat of Klenz paint over the areas that are paintable so to make it look nicer. But still disclose all that is going on with it. Very unlikely you will recover the money you put into it if you were to fix it and then try to sell. Good luck!

Marcy512 likes this.
  7. Marcy512

Marcy512 New Member

Thanks everyone!! Any opinions on a fair price? [:D]

8. Danny and Liza

So hard to say without having seen the whole camper and knowing the full history on it. I know that campers are selling like crazy right now due to all the stuff going on, so that’s another factor.
    I would check NADA and see what it’s saying first. But then just look around on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace to see if you can find any similar campers and the prices they’re going for. The little I know, your selling range could be anywhere between 3 to 4 thousand. Good luck!

Marcy512 likes this.
  9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Try cleaning the canvas with Tilex bleach bathroom cleaner. Clean it up as good as you can and then say it has water damage and the roof needs to be sealed

Marcy512 likes this.
  10. GreyFox

Wow - generous! I wouldn't go any more than $1500 USD for a "project". The roof simply can't be sealed, with this much damage it needs a complete rebuild from inside out.

Marcy512 likes this.
  11. Danny and Liza

I’m going off what I’ve seen in my area. I’ve seen some PUPs in my area go for ridiculous prices right now. A camper I would have never thought going for more than 2000 selling for 3500. People are out there looking for those projects and fixer uppers because that’s the only way they can travel and still be social distanced. Just my opinion from what I’m seeing.

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

If anyone would pay $3-4K for this I want to meet them so I can sell them some stuff as well.

$1500 tops. Probably less.

You have a new canvas at ~$1300, plus a roof rebuild (requires special skills, probably would cost $1500-2000 if you *could* hire it out).

And it's a 16 year old camper made by a company which has been out of business for 10 years.

Marcy512 likes this.
  13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I think that it is hard to say how much it is worth without knowing the extent of the roof damage. Could be a very slight leak that just started or the whole roof could be junk. I would clean it up and just tell the truth. Ask for 2500 - 3000 and see what people are willing to pay. Possibly refuse to sell it to someone that is too stupid to see what they are getting into.

Rik Peery and Marcy512 like this.
  14. GreyFox

The OP's Bayside has an AlumiLeak roof and as indicated by the ceiling wrinkles there's no way this is a "slight leak" :( - repairing it properly would require a full roof rebuild from the inside out. It's not as if this is any secret, there's plenty of online accounts describing this exact failure with this type of roof and the work required to rebuild it.

15. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Regardless of how bad the repair/repairs may or not be, honesty in disclosure as stated by several above is the way to go, a trait sometimes hard to find these days, & everything comes around full circle...get what you can & have a clear conscience, post your results & good luck...

16. Marcy512

Marcy512 New Member

Absolutely! I couldn't sell it to someone without full disclosure. Thanks for your input!

Rik Peery likes this.
  17. Marcy512

Marcy512 New Member

Thank you all for your input. I'm happy to say that I sold the camper yesterday for $1,500 with full disclosure!

myride, 1380ken and Rik Peery like this.