Make your own Awning Track Hangers

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by instructorbill, Aug 12, 2012.

1. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

You can also check at www.campmor.com, I bought my poles for the 20' tarp when I solo canoe camp. reasonable and they have several types as well as lots of camping gear. I have bought from them for years..

2. Winchested

Winchested Member

Actually found World Famous brand extending tent poles at home hardware they are only $11 a pc. Will go and order a couple tomorrow. How many should I use for a 10-12 foot tarp?

3. elkmontb10

elkmontb10 Member

Three poles will give you better support with less sagging in the middle.

4. Nedula

Nedula New Member

In Alberta I found poles from wholesale sports are $12 each [ http://www.wholesalesports.com/store/wsoo/en/Categories/Camping/Camping-Accessories/Camping-Accessories/418-Steel-Extension-Pole/p/132923 ]

5. CDBailey

CDBailey New Member

Far be from a tent camper to tell you RV guys how to do things, but I would think the solution for the gap between the tarp and roof is easy to fix.

Instead of hooking the hangers through the grommets on the end of the tarp, go to the next grommet in from the end on each side of the tarp. This gives you a flap that will go up over the edge of your roof. With 4 of these hangers made few feet long, you then secure the edge grommets to the rain channel on the opposite edge of the roof. Just remember when buying a tarp for this purpose that you will have to go asize bigger to make up forwhat you lose in surface area putting a flap on the roof.

Austin Fry likes this.
  6. Crialin

Crialin New Member

Does anyone know if this size tubing will also fit into the retractable type awning track?

7. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I was just messing with my awning track a few days ago trying to figure out how to mount a light without being invasive!!!

8. jazw33

jazw33 New Member

1. Where do you buy the spacers?
    2. What size are the spacers?
    :) Thanks!

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

9. ST Dog

ST Dog Member

10. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Also depends on what size track you have...
    The Colemans have/had what appears to be a 3/8" track opposed to the 1/4"-5/16" tracks that seem to be the norm.
    This I know because my new Shademaker awning, with the 1/4" bead wants to pull out of my current track...

11. ThePupmeiers

ThePupmeiers New Member

IMG_0316.JPG I just wanted to share that we bought the parts from the eBay shop and setup the awning for the first time today! Worked like a charm.

Karen in Iowa and Silly hummer like this.
  12. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

I made an awning , similar to Pupmeiers' pic above, hangers like in the OP, with clips I made from 1/4x1" steel spacers and washers from the local small-town hardware store. The spacers have "soft" edges and were actually cheaper than nylon or aluminum (whaa..?). Heavy duty tarp and paracord from eBay. Already had poles, rope & pegs from tent camping. Works great, no issues with stiff breeze upon first use. Total cost, roughly $15. Cha-ching!

13. Hop-Up Camper

Hop-Up Camper New Member

I know this is an older post, but the PUP we just bought doesn't have an awning...only the c-channel. I found these on Amazon and will be buying the tarp trackers as well.

Looks to be about a $80 investment, I hope it works.

Tarp:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FU8GS2...olid=1QIMT1ROJB8YI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Poles:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HYUNYG...colid=1QIMT1ROJB8YI&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Tarp Trackers:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tarp-Track...ights-hooks-/251934547549?hash=item3aa8781e5d

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  14. LeighAnnD

LeighAnnD New Member

I was pointed to this thread from another, I realized it’s an old thread... but, has anyone come up with a solution to close the gap?

15. mytaxis

mytaxis New Member

9 posts above this is a possible solution :)

16. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

If you are going to spend near $80, wouldn’t it be better to buy the replacement canvas they sell for the roll up awnings and just get one of those grommet kits from HF to put 3 grommets in the outer edge for the poles?
    The replacement material already comes with the cord sewn in that slides into the track

17. myrnagarcia

myrnagarcia New Member

Nice i like it!

18. v1ru5879

v1ru5879 Member

I know this a an old post but does anyone have the details on these stops? I just got my trackers in but I would like to also add these but I don't see them offered anymore on his ebay

19. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

You can make your own with a couple of small eye bolts and nuts. Choose the eye bolts that correspond with the nut that best fits the awning rail. You can see how it works in my picture below.

IMG_20190525_151343_compress87.jpg IMG_20190525_151322_compress52.jpg

v1ru5879 likes this.
  20. v1ru5879

v1ru5879 Member

Awesome! Thanks for the pictures, will hit the hardware store tomorrow. Also need to get some replacement tips for the poles inside that go over the beds. Any solution for a diy for these tent pole tips? Found some on eBay for $15