Making an offer?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Lowcountry, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Lowcountry

Lowcountry New Member

My wife and I are looking to purchase a new popup and thought we would seek the wisdom from you veterans. When making an offer, what kind of markup do you anticipate there being on the rv and and what do you expect the dealer to come off?

2. Yacoma99

Yacoma99 Member

Do as much research as you can on the pup & the dealer. I have bought 6 different campers through the years and each purchase has been slightly different. Factors to consider are: popularity of the model you want, time of year, dealer stock, financing, negotiation skills, etc. I am sure other members will chime in with many more things to consider. I am also not afraid to travel to get what I want for the price I want. I traveled over 12 hrs to buy a camper that a local dealer would not negotiate on. The local guy only had one of that model & the out of state dealer had two. Doing your homework before you buy might save you some money. I also plan on camping at least one night somewhere near the dealer. That way if there is a problem I can get it fixed easier than finding it after I have traveled back home. Most pup manufacturers only have a 1yr or so warranty period and in my experience most of the issues become apparent during the first trip or two.

BBQdave, Lowcountry and Byrd_Huntr like this.
  3. Lowcountry

Lowcountry New Member

Thanks for the info. We have no problem traveling to get the right rv and we plan on paying cash for it so hopefully we can bargain a little better with financing not being an issue. We have Had a real hard time finding dealers with pups available.

4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

We just bought a brand new TT from a dealer. It was a left over 2018 taking up space that the dealer want to put a 2020 model in. We offered 25% off of asking as an out the door price, and ended up getting about 20% off out the door and had a power jack included.

On the other hand, we looked at a used hybrid. When we offered 10% off of asking out the door, he came back with 20% over asking out the door. Guess he wasn't interested in moving that unit.

You just really have to decide what the popup is worth to you and go from there. Since you're having a hard time finding popups, the dealers may not want to negotiate much. Like Yacoma said, think about expanding your search radius, but still be prepared to walk away if the deal doesn't feel right, even if you're 100 miles from home.

Lowcountry likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Also agree about doing all the research you can before buying. The dealers don’t have your best interest only theirs. Read your Tow vehicle manual regarding towing get the payload numbers on the door jamb of the car. Get an estimate of how much you are going to haul in the car including passenger weight. Then you can estimate how much you can truly haul using the payload numbers. Also something to realize about the dry weight numbers of the popup. Dryweight is not the true weight of the popup. Dry weight numbers do not include the weight of some options, or the weight of battery and propane. So even if you don’t plan to haul the popup at the gross weight sometimes those numbers are the best numbers to use so you know you have plenty of room. You really want a lot of play in your numbers if your going to be towing in the mountains. Not trying to scare you away from dealers, but as you start to get out, you may find you know more about popups than what the dealer does.

Lowcountry likes this.
  6. rjniles

rjniles Member

Actually most dealers (RV or auto) prefer you finance and will give you a better deal if you finance thru them. Reason, they get a kick back from the lender. Go for dealer financing without prepayment penalty (prepayment penalties are illegal in many states) and pay off in the first month. My wife bought a van with dealer financing and immediately refinanced thru her credit union for a better rate.

Lowcountry likes this.
  7. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

I live in NC but am considering an independent RV dealership in Coldwater, MI. One of the dealership staff was explaining that because of their location to where the PUP's are made, low cost on shipping to dealership. And they purchase as many as they can for a bulk shipment - supposedly saves them money. So it would be cheaper for me to travel to MI, than purchase locally with higher (shipping) price.

I have to say, the local dealerships have the PUP's 1k to 2k higher than the MI dealership. Might be able to negotiate that down. But I like the MI dealership's starting price already down 2k and can negotiate from that lower point.

This would work for me, because I have family and friends in Ohio. Would visit them while purchasing.

I have monitored their site for awhile and they do move a lot of Forest River Rockwoods. They have a low price and claim no hidden fees or dealership prep fees. Their thought, not going to make a lot on a PUP - but you'll be back, down the road when you want to upgrade.

If I do this, like Yacoma99, I would camp a few days in MI - in case there was warranty needs.

Yacoma99 likes this.