Making an opened camper less bouncy?

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by raindog308, May 9, 2015.

1. raindog308

raindog308 New Member

Just came back from our first trip in a new-to-us 1982 Coleman Sun Valley. Great time but one thing we noticed is that the camper was very bouncy.

Whenever one of us would change sleeping positions, or our dog would pant on the floor, etc. the whole camper would rock.

This is the first popup I've owned so maybe that's completely normal...and it's really not a big deal. Maybe we just need to go on a diet [LOL]

Just wondering if this is normal/to be expected or if there is some trick to minimizing bounce?

2. clydee

clydee Member

I have 3 kids, wife, and a dog.

no risky business the wife says, its too bouncy. :(

I fixed it (on my camper) wife says still no risky business WHATEVER!!!

First, I purchased extra wheel chocks, so I chock BOTH wheels. one will rock even one side is "locked" in,so I chock both.

it helped but...

I put 4 stabilizer jacks (http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44560-Olympian-Aluminum-Stack/dp/B000760FWU/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1431229713&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=camper+stablizer+alumium)

a world of difference in bouncy, but it still has slight slight bounce, or whatever we call it - but its MAJORLY better, when the wife moves while sleeping on other end, it didn't wake me up like last time.

but again, new memory foam mattresses really helped the sleep too..

3. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Chock both wheels front and back....lower stabs so they are snug

4. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

I use a Valterra RV Stabilizer. It does not mount permanently -- you just put it in place when you set up camp.

My little PUP doesn't have front stabilizers, so it is especially "rocky" when moving around on the front bed. This has completely solved that problem.
    [​IMG]

5. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

I put all ofr stabilizers down, and chock both wheels front and back and sinch them together with a ratcheting strap.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Well-chocked and stabilized (4 stabilizers) helps immensely, but we always notice some transferred vibrations - footfalls, rolling over, standing or sitting.
    We realized that, for us, part of it is the fact that we live in a house on a slab foundation. I notice movement in houses and buildings that are built on cellars or crawl spaces more than I used to.
    Our first pup did not have a full set of useable stabilizers when we first used it, and we really noticed movements. Once we renovated it and were able to use all 4 (stack-jack) stabilizers, things were better. Repairing a portion of a side wall so that it was re-attached to the floor helped some of the flex when someone was at the outer edge of the bunk, but that is less likely, unless you have an older camper.
    We also noticed movement in the second pup, but less so - built-in stabilizers, and tires that were better to chock. [The first pup was tiny, so jamming a chock under the tire was interesting, second pup much better, and we learned to use a rubber hammer as needed to firm up the chock.] Now with the TT, movement is still less, but I do notice vibrations as we walk around.

BTW, if you add the make, model and year of your pup to your signature line (through the "forum profile" section), it helps the rest of us.

7. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Here are the things that helped our Sun Valley...

When chocking the high wheel, back up onto the rear chock and hold the brake while DW puts the front chock in place. Let off the brake and the camper settles into the chocks. This really secures the high wheel. You'll have to reverse the process to remove the chocks when packing up.

Use a BAL leveler on the low wheel.

Just using the stabilizers isn't enough because they can still "wiggle" side to side. I installed a telescoping corner brace on the front stabs. It helped immensely!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JR

Mamie likes this.
  8. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

That is a great idea. I like that.

Were the braces home made? You have a link?

Vin.

9. raindog308

raindog308 New Member

Wow, thanks for all the helpful advice!

We chocked though didn't really hammer them in...will do next time. We do get the stab jacks in solid. In this case, we were on pavement.

I suspect some of it is just newbies getting used to the trailer but we will definitely check out some of the advice here. Thanks again.

10. E3 Junkie

E3 Junkie Greetings from Granada Hills, CA.

I added a BAL 94-1214 to the center section of my E3, and it made all the difference in the world. The frame no longer flexes.

11. tigerflier

tigerflier Member

I don't think anyone mentioned this but if your tire pressure is low it will allow much more bounce in the pup

12. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of adding a stabilizer just in front of and just behind each tire. The wife gets up every 2 hrs to use the backroom. We bounce a lot.

13. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

Seriously, try the Valterra... No installation to the pup, and you can move it around to find the proper location. It is lightweight aluminum and folds down to about the size of a small folding chair.

Somewhere I had a pic of it set up under my pup, but I can't find it now.

Because it is trapezoidal, it helps to brace against movement.

14. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

McBrew I saw the pic of it posted earlier in this thread and I am thinking of using those. I think they would be perfect for what I want

15. turborich

turborich Active Member

This is all it takes. It works for me, my pup is pretty darn solid.

16. bluegrassfan76

bluegrassfan76 Member

I looked these up on Amazon and am considering purchasing a set for our popup that only has stabilizer jacks on the rear but have a couple questions for you. Do you put blocks of wood under the these jacks and do you put any on top of the jack between the jack and trailer frame? I'm just wondering if you had this in place and the trailer rocked and the jack slipped off of the frame if it could accidentally go through the wood floor on your popup? Maybe that's a dumb question but I could see it happening to me with my luck. Thanks!

MIKE

17. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Basically the same, except I have a BAL leveler on one side which is just like a wheel chock. No problems, even with 2-100 lbs dogs running back and forth.

18. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

My stabilizers have the sand feet on the ends which helps stabilization some, but I found if they were fully extended [as in the back legs are down a slope] they wobble. To void extending them down so far I put a couple Linx levelers under them and it helps a lot .

Also, if the ground is loose gravel, or soft, they sink in and get loose with time. I put Linx levelers, or small plywood squares under the sand feet to act as a snow shoe.

All the time, I find there is a little settling that goes on. Before bed, a circle around the pup and make sure they are all snug. Rarely, I have to go around a second time the next morning or evening. After that, it is rock solid.

19. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I use a set of 4 of those with my pup and they do work great, just a little time and space consuming vs other options, namely screw down jacks. I've only had to put boards under my stabs when they weren't tall enough due to an unlevel site. And there isn't any worry about going through the floor since they should just be snug against the frame, not holding anything up. The wheels and tongue Jack hold everything at the proper level.

20. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Chocks and stabs are fine but when someone moves in one bunk the canvas will transfer the movement to the other bunk.