Making the bed.

JimPH

Jul 19, 2018
Apple Valley, MN
We have the 2016 classic. Full bed that lifts up. We have a foam 3 inch topper on the mattress as well. Sleeps great. But putting the clean sheets on before the next trip is a pain. Anyone have a secret way?

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I feel your pain. They do make something called zip sheets but they are crazy expensIve and probably won’t fit the camper bed as well as it would a regular one.

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
I use an ultra thin fleece zippered sleep sack, spread it out & use whatever thickness camp quilt I need as a cover, easy & fast...

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I use an ultra thin fleece zippered sleep sack, spread it out & use whatever thickness camp quilt I need as a cover, easy & fast...
This actually reminds me of something my mom made my little side kick. She sowed two flat sheets together on two sides and made something similar to a bed size sleep sack. Little side kick was a freight train when she slept and having the top sheep permanently attached prevented it from landing on the floor. Something like this could work in making beds the two closed sides could be against the wall. That would make it way easier.

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
We washable sleeping bags, and put a bottom sheet on at the beginning of the season, washing it when it needs it. Because we're using sleeping bags that get washed after the trips, the bottom sheet will last us a few trips.

Sleeping bags have their own inconveniences; stuff sacks that they never want to fit into again, and the space they take up. But they're warm and easy to remove to wash.

jonkquil

Super Active Member
Jul 20, 2009
We have the 2016 classic. Full bed that lifts up. We have a foam 3 inch topper on the mattress as well. Sleeps great. But putting the clean sheets on before the next trip is a pain. Anyone have a secret way?
This is the one thing that could send me to the dark side. Every time I climb around on my HW bed to put the sheets & bedding on, I always end up saying "I won't be doing this when I'm 60" and it's at that moment I envy dark siders! It takes me just as long to make up one bed, as it does to set up the whole pop-up, I assumed it would be a little easier in an A-frame, but I guess from your post it is not.
This actually reminds me of something my mom made my little side kick. She sowed two flat sheets together on two sides and made something similar to a bed size sleep sack. Little side kick was a freight train when she slept and having the top sheep permanently attached prevented it from landing on the floor. Something like this could work in making beds the two closed sides could be against the wall. That would make it way easier.
That's actually a pretty good idea, I'm wondering if I can attach my top sheet to the fitted sheet on the sides, this will eliminate one step at least.

Altho it would make set-up a little easier, I will not go back to sleeping bags!!

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
Compared to making the bed in our teardrop the Aliner is a piece of cake. We've got the permanent bed though and I upgraded to a real mattress; I guess the ones where you're using a bunch of pillows would be more of a challenge.
So we just use regular queen sheets. My wife brings the clean spare and swaps it before I break camp.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
When we switched from the popup to the small travel trailer, one of my husband's requests was for a bed that stayed made up. It's his job to make the bed, and in the popup, we could leave nothing on it except the mattress pad and bottom sheet, so it had to be dealt with every time we broke down and set up.
We, in fact, ended up with a walk-around bed. In our Retro, it's still a bit of a challenge, because the head of the bed is between the two closets and cupboard sets, with cupboards over the bed too. On the rare occasion that I make the bed, I pull the mattress forward to get the bedding on the top section, then slide it back into place to finish.
Some swear by Beddys or the like, but they don't seem like an improvement to us, especially since we're a little fussy over the sheets we use. We use good flannel, year-round, but even that doesn't cost nearly as much as the Beddys do.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
2016 classic. Full bed that lifts up. We have a foam 3 inch topper . But putting the clean sheets on before the next trip is a pain

2014 Expedition Basic here. For ultra clarity sake you have the mattress edition and not the sofa bed.

We have the mattress edition too. The mattress is a 13" thick real mattress from a mattress shop.It sits on the plwood covers that is raised by gas cylinders. That's what I think you have. (I see you have a Scout. Not sure what your interior is.)

DW requires a bottom sheet in ours. We abandoned the top sheet and anything "fancy" above it. I manhandle the mattress and set it in the cabinets on either side of the aisle. it is balanced on the counters then . She puts the bottom sheet on . I crawl on my back and fit the back half of the bottom sheet. Slide back into position . For the "top sheet" We have a summer and winter weight sleeping bags depending on the season.

We boondock. I've been down to 22*F and still married.

Last edited:

Scififan

Jan 23, 2022
Montana
I sewed flat sheets together to make a sort of big pillowcase for the gel pad. Actually that one protects the gel pad and I made a second one that serves as a removable bottom sheet. So there are 2 of them on the gel pad. Then we cover it with a top sheet and quilt. The top sheet and quilt aren’t always placed “perfectly” on the bed….but we are camping so that’s ok by us!

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I never make up a bed on my camper. I always use a large Coleman sleeping bag. It takes just too much energy that I don't have to make a proper bed. If there are two of you, you can zip two sleeping bags together. It so much easier than making up a home-style bed.

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
Who remembers water bed sheets? Good sets of waterbed sheets were fitted with the top sheet sewed on at the foot. Worked like a charm back in the day. Might try doing that for your pup. We are like Grandpa Don, throw our double sleeping bag on the mattress pad, cover up with a sheet, sleep like a baby. In cold weather we climb in the bag, and put a old fashion quilt on top, sleep like a baby. See you on the trail.

KeepsakePaps

Apr 14, 2019
Newport News, VA
I feel your pain. Like many, I thought there has to be a better way. I use normal fitted sheets but attached those elastic corner strips to each corner. I reinforced the idea by attaching the clips to the sheet corners with large safety pins so they wouldn't slip off. (When I launder my sheets, I just leave them attached.) Now, I throw the 'head' of the sheet toward the 'head' of the bed and climb up to make sure the corners go completely under the mattress. This is the first and last time I crawl up onto the bed! Then I make sure the corners at the foot of the bed are engaged. Now is where I came up with something different: Instead of crawling all over the bed, I stand beside it and tuck the corners of the top sheet in at the foot of the bed just like normal. Then, I tuck the head of the top sheet over my broom's handle and push it up into the proper place at the head of the bed. I repeat the process for the center of the bed and finally for the left-hand head of the bed, all using my broom's handle to extend my reach and avoid crawling onto the bed. I use the broom handle to push the bed spread into place and even use it to push my pillows where I want them. Only time I have to crawl on the bed is to position the bottom sheet's corners at the head of the bed. All the rest of the time, I use my broom's handle to push the sheets and spread where I want them while I stand next to the bed. Even use the broom handle to smooth out the bed surface at the end. The next morning, I use the broom handle to make the bed completely. Knew there had to be a better way! Works for me!