Map Phone App

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Ken Lane, Apr 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

I have been looking at my OnX application here quite a bit lately for route planning and topos for next fall's hunting trips and it occurred to me it would be perfect for Boondock Camping. OnX gives you the Sat image, topo image and a hybrid mix of the two. Plus it functions better for me than GPS when you are out hiking, even if out of cell range by screen capturing your map image from cell service and then putting the GPS location overlay on it to use when you are out of cell range. Neat, not cheap around $100 for the entire US but I think an individual state is about $30. Its on the internet, I think it lets you use it free too, but I am not sure right now. For my simian brain it beats a hand held GPS for about everything except for active airplane pilots and nuclear weapon targeting stuff. As long as I have smartphone phone battery I shouldn't get lost any time soon. But never say never!

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

OnX will let you do a trial for 7 days free, then you need to subscribe/buy the maps. I tried it on my last caribou hunt. The data is only as good as the existing maps and imagery are. For Alaska, the resolution of most satellite images in remote areas just isn't fine enough to be really helpful. In short, for Alaska, I found it no better than Google Maps if I offline downloaded the maps for my area. Hence, I pitched OnX and just use Google Maps. YMMV in areas of better imagery.

3. kennedyma

kennedyma Member

Have you tried GaiaGPS? That’s what I use and love it.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  4. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

It has worked for me in WA, SC & TN. Granted they do not compare to the great state of Alaska but it still beats using a hand held GPS with a breadcrumbs display with the tiny map screen most of them have compared to my smart phone GPS. Based on risk I wouldn't recommend using OnX and maybe any other electronics either depending where your traveling. You can't beat a compass and map when you are way out there in a life threatening area. But for my home turf OnX helps me a lot. I can locate my location on the screen so I don't get lost at 4:30 PM on the way back to the truck. You know when the shadows seem to change or the sun is down and nothing looks that familiar anymore. What did you end up using in AK? BTW I like Gaia too and have it loaded as well.

5. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Very happy with Gaia GPS. No issues in fairly remote areas of Wyoming & Utah. Phone for hiking /fishing iPad for my truck. $20 and free map downloads.

6. 8lugnutz

8lugnutz Member

I use Avenza maps and download maps from the USFS and the USGS. The limit is three maps, but I have almost 30 maps downloaded and stored in my iCloud. The maps are GPS aware and can plot your position using GPS, even when you don’t have a cell signal. If I need a different map, I delete one and make sure I have the new map loaded in Avenza before I go out of cell range. Did I mention it’s free?