March 2020 - What did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Mar 1, 2020.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Spring is beginning here in the high desert, which means windy days, allergies (the city actually began posting pollen counts early in Feb.), and temps bounding all over the place. My first trip is near the end of the month, so the trailer is now uncovered, which certainly makes access a lot easier.
    Today, I have the door and largest window open, to help dissipate the last of the new mattress odor. Going to work on the new closet shelves and a few other things today. I've also begun to buy supplies to restock OTC meds & first aid items, and staple foods, we try to start fresh at the beginning of the season.

akriot likes this.
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

10 degrees this morning, Quincy even didn't want to out.

akriot, Strawhouse and kitphantom like this.
  3. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

Bought new bungee buttons to hold the canvas down right, it was missing most of them when we got it. Bought new shock cord.

Rebuilding the roof, so sanded off the foam and wood that was stuck to the metal skin, it had hail damage so I tried to flatten those out. Will get the rest of the supplies this week and try and have it all done next weekend.

After the last 2 years of rebuilding this camper, I'm beginning to wonder what I have left to do, we have added all the upgrades as we've gone, my want list is pretty empty now...guess that just means more time to camp!

Edit: roof finished and reinstalled, new solar panel charges the battery, new fan-tastic fan works...finally the end of the rebuild! Now just needs sealants redone and new tires (one bubbled sitting in our garage...)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  4. kitphantom

Closet project was mostly done yesterday. I bought a set of cube shelves from Amazon, the type with wire grids assembled with connectors at the corners, for try #3 at putting shelves in my closet. Courtenay was able to assemble the squares to make 2 cubes, the top off-set towards the curved back of the closet.
    He also used zip ties to make it more stable and not jiggle apart on the road. We think it will work well, with baskets to act as drawers - the aisles are so small it's difficult to reach anything in the bottom of the closet. It was an interesting job for Courtenay, I do even less well with making myself into a pretzel and reaching into a space at odd angles, so was happy he did it.
    We have enough grids left over to make one cube in his closet, so we'll buy another basket to slide in and out with footwear.
    We cut down the foam slab that had been the base of the main bed mattress for the last couple of seasons, to be a topper for the dinette bed. (The topper I bought from Costco last year was too soft for that, and will be cut up into pet beds when I get a chance.) Compressed into a heavy plastic bag, it was easy to move into the house until it's needed.
    I started replacing batteries in flashlights, thermometers, etc.

akriot and Strawhouse like this.
  5. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

1) Setup my brand new popup for the 1st time, in the driveway, as a dry run to test everything out.
    2) Installed motion sensing lights in a couple of the cupboards.
    3) Installed a couple touch on/off dimmable lights under the dinette table and counter top overhang.
    4) Measure up and purchased bins for underneath the dinette seat.
    5) Did a complete function check on all appliances, canvas, moving parts, etc. Identified a couple small issues to address.
    6) Discovered I want a bigger battery!
    7) Had a blast camping out in my very first rv/camper.

6. dabsond

dabsond Member

Paid my storage lot fee...

akriot, Strawhouse and Georjean like this.
  7. Limmer

Limmer Member

Bought a ProRac bike rack off of Kijiji for $100!!! :D If you can't tell I am pretty happy! We had been thinking about it but we weren't sure if it was worth it for how often we may use it, but couldn't beat the price.

akriot and kitphantom like this.
  8. kitphantom

I used the trailer as workspace to cut the binding for the throw rugs I'm making for it. (Portable) work surface was still in there from cutting the foam, light was great, no felines to help - took me no time at all. Using the TT as extra project workspace is a great excuse for spending time in it between trips.

akriot likes this.
  9. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

When I took the wheels off, most of the lug nuts were rusted onto their lugs enough that the whole thing came out:
    lugged.JPG

Undaunted, I do have the new tires ready to put on, after I look at the bearings:
    new_tires.JPG

Any advice about the lugs? Use some Threadloc and put them back on? Replace them?

Those tires hadn't been off in a loooong time. I'm expecting the bearings to be ugly.

akriot likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ouch. You need to separate and clean them first, if you cant get the lug nuts off you would need new ones. Loctight is a good idea, just get the correct rated stuff. Good luck!

11. Buckmaster81

Buckmaster81 Active Member

I yanked it out from the side yard and put it in the driveway to prepare to prepare it for the season. Need to pull the wheels and give the brakes a look. I May, maybe might perhaps may, consider rebuilding the slide out dinette this spring, perhaps maybe.....or maybe just use it the way it is. Almost definitely going to replace a frayed lift cable, if not all of them. I will not be beaten again this year by lift system failures.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Got new shoes!! 20200303_215549.jpg

akriot, tcbrady and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I have never seen a lug come out like that! Actually I've never seen any that screw in. All I have ever seen are ones that press in from the back of the hub. There is no way those are coming out with the lugnuts unless the backs are rusted off. (Which I've never seen either)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  14. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

I am brand new to pup up camping, but have worked in the automotive industry for decades. This experience tells me that open top lug nuts are often a nightmare. As the top of the wheel stud corrodes slightly the lug nut can and will become difficult if not impossible to remove.

Before I even got my new camper home I had in had a set of standard (not open top) lug nuts and locking lugs to install and promptly put them on the moment I got home. I would advise you to pick up a set at your local auto parts store and install them promptly after replacing your wheel studs. Do not use any type of threadlocking product on lug nuts. Use anti-seize or a similar product. The torque is what keeps your lug nuts on. Come time to remove them you want them to break loose and then come off nicely.

New wheel studs, and a setup of standard lug nuts. This will prevent the top of the wheel stud from corroding my enclosing it and thus not exposing it to the elements. Same stuff you see on most cars. Most trailers are 1/2 x 20 but double check yours before purchasing new lug nuts.

I've attached a photo of the lug nuts you are after.

Attached Files:

15. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

Thanks. Any suggestions for getting the other studs out?

16. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

I wouldn't even try to re-use the studs, or even replace them. I'd replace the wheel hub. Shouldn't be very costly. Even with new studs they are very difficult to install. They are machine installed and take a great deal of torque to install, which you likely experienced removing them. In order to install new ones you have to double nut them to drive them in. Zero chance of this re-using yours, and it'll be a headache with new studs. I'd save yourself the pain and replace the hub as it'll have new studs already installed. Then get some quality lug nuts like above, use anti-seize when installing, and enjoy good wheel lug and stud life likely for the life of your trailer.

17. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

18. tcbrady

tcbrady Active Member

I've been MIA from here for a few months due to winter/work. Luckily, work has slowed up a little and spring is right around the corner here in PA. UNFORTUNATELY, I haven't gotten any of the projects done I wanted to over the winter!

So starting this week I'll be working on installing the ProRac roof rack on the roof of my pup. Excited we'll be able to load our bikes and kayaks on the roof of the camper now! My other project I need to do this week is find a replacement tongue jack, as the handle for ours broke off last year. Luckily, it was while unloading the camper into the garage after our last trip. Talk about luck! Of course, the wife wants to upgrade to an electric tongue jack so if anyone has any recommendations on that without spending an arm and a leg... I'm all ears! I'll post up pictures later this week once the roof rack is installed.

19. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

I was peeking at these at campingworld the last few days. They have a couple options in the $150 neighborhood. Doesn't seem too bad.

20. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Just keep clearing the snow off the shelter for my Aliner....and hoping for an early spring.

Econ likes this.