Marine family upgrading from tent camping

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mcjclarks01, Aug 29, 2015.

1. mcjclarks01

mcjclarks01 New Member

We are a family of 4 stationed in eastern Carolina. We enjoy camping and do so about 4+ times a year as a family. Our son is in Cub Scouts so we do some additional camping with the pack. I have looked at this website on/off for a few years now and finally decided to join as we are planning on doing our first trip with a "popup" to the Chimney Rock, NC area in October. We recently purchased a new vehicle capable of towing 3500 lbs as our previous vehicle was unable to. We have the opportunity to rent an older Aliner Scout pretty cheap from the base. Albeit the unit is pretty used and is basic on features (only has A/C).

At this time we are not in the market to purchase as we can rent from the base, but renting this unit would give us an idea if we like the A-frame or if we should look at traditional popups in the future. After having looked at the Aliner and Rockwood A-frames, I really liked the ease of setup. We are not as concerned with the "limited" space in the A-frames because if it were to rain we would be stuck in our tent anyways. At least the A-frame would allow us to cook and sit at a dinette. But I can see why some would prefer the additional space that the popups would offer.

2. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

4 people in a A-frame sounds crowded to me, but whatever works for you. I have found that it's not just people and bunk space, but also gear bags and other stuff that really makes it crowded.

3. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Welcome to the portal from Central NY. :)

4. colocmpr

colocmpr Member

I've never tried an A-frame before but if you're there to be outdoors most of the time and it works well for your family for sleeping and bad weather, that sounds great. If you ever do purchase, I would consider how the space will work as the kids get bigger. We have 3 and if a friend comes along ourson (14) has often asked the CG host if he can pitch a tent somewhere else for them (if there's not a tent area in our site) and they have usually been very good about helping him out.

One thing that I wanted to mention is that we also got our popup just a few years before my son started Cub Scouts and thought it would be nice to have. He finished Cubs (5 years) and is in his 4th year of Boy Scouts and both programs ended up very focused on tent camping and we've never ended up at a site where bringing the pup was an option. That will likely vary by the CGs you visit and the local policies on campers but you might want to check that if it would be part of a decision to buy some day. We still love having the pup for family trips and it has been one of our best ways to have fun together and with friends, building great memories.

5. R00

R00 Active Member

This guy is a Marine. A rucksack will get his entire family through 3 days camping. He doesn't need space for gear bags ;-)

That, and if he's smart he will bestow his tent on the kids, leaving the A-frame for himself and the wife. Kids dig camping in their own space.

6. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Welcome to the Portal from South Central Virginia!! [8D]

If you are minimalists campers, the A-Liner could be a good choice. The fact that you can rent one to camp in and check it out is great!! A LOT of folks get smaller campers because they find themselves outside more than inside. The advantage of the smaller pups is you always have the pull out bunks to hang out on, take naps, read, just whatever...and the dinette is still free for others to sit and do their thing!

As you camp, try and meet some folks! I can't tell you how many times, once it felt comfortable to ask, I've been given the tour of whatever unit I was interested in!! Big or small, folks love to show their own off! [A]

You might put your tow vehicle (TV) information in your signature line, so when you do ask questions, at least we'll know what you're dealing with in towing capacity!

If your calendar is open, I host a rally Oct 16-18 in Wilkesboro, NC. Opposite end of the state, but the majority of our attendees are from eastern NC!! Check the link in my signature line!!

Check out the thread for A-Liners under General Discussion, A-Frame Popups. Those folks can answer specific questions about all the amenities you can get in them, weights, all kinds of stuff!

Then there's Campgrounds, US Campground Reviews so you can read about some places and see what folks thought about them!

Also, check out the Rally Info section at the top of the page for other rallies near you! I know the last Spring rally was on the Eastern side, but not the beach. You can find Spring, Fall & Winter rallies all over the US!! So you can check out the rental units AND meet some great portal members!! [A]

Good luck and happy camping!! OORAH!

[:D]

7. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Welcome from South Central Texas!

8. SiAm Traveler

SiAm Traveler Member

Welcome from Maryland and Semper Fi. Chimney rock is a nice area and is on our list to go to soon.

9. Joeswife3108

Joeswife3108 New Member

Welcome from Texas! My husband is recently medically retired Marine. We were stationed in NC also.

Chimney rock is a favorite of mine. We stayed at Hickory Nut falls campground years ago and they are very very military friendly! Also when in Chimney rock check out Lake Lure!

10. dvldog782

dvldog782 New Member

Hello, and welcome from NW Arkansas!

11. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Welcome from Raleigh (lived in Wilmington for 9 years, just down the road from where I assume you are stationed)!

I think a rental would be a great way to try out campers (even A frames). If you rent the A frame for cheap from the base and decide you like it, you can always rent a Pup too (you may have to go off-base) afterwards for comparison.

Chimney Rock is awesome! Enjoy your trip and let us know how you like the A frame.

12. barnee

barnee New Member

Thank YOU for serving our AMERICA.
    You have the best advice on this site from those in the know.

13. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Welcome to the portal and thank you for serving!

14. popuppartyof5

popuppartyof5 Are we having fun yet???

Welcome to the portal! We are also a Marine family living and stationed in eastern NC and buying a popup was one of the best things we ever did. Its a great way to take a quick weekend vacation with out much planning. As you know you can't always plan too far ahead in the Military. :)Some of our favorite campgrounds in the area are Cabin Lake in Beulaville, Medoc Mountain and our all time favorite is North Bend on Kerr lake. Happy Camping!!!

15. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Welcome from the Chimney Rock Area.....