Mark Twain lake campgrounds

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by rms62003, Jun 3, 2012.

1. rms62003

rms62003 New Member

I've been to two so far, and here's the scoop
    I prefer Indian Creek campground. They had nice bathroom facilities, with adequate shower facilities (although I tend to use my PUP's shower.) Also, you can access the waterfront with little trouble from any of the locations. The one that I used gave me enough of a sense of privacy, and had little view of other campers. I'm an electric only camper, and all of their sites afforded this. The campground attendants were friendly, and ready to help with any questions.

Frank Russell also had friendly attendants, but lacked on the bathroom facilities. Unlike a regular toilet, which was found at Indian Creek, it was only a pit toilet with a seat, and stank to high heaven. Also, it had no direct access to the water by hiking trails. The attendants were nice, and offered not only a map of the campground, but also of Mark Twain lake in general. My site had plenty of privacy, with trees all around. I didn't, however, have close by showers or a playground.

I'd go back to Indian Creek in a heartbeat, and would use Frank Russel as a backup, since they are an easier facility to get to, being right off Highway J.

2. gigi225

gigi225 New Member

Ray behrens campground is better. It has 3 separate campgrounds under the name ray behrens. It is closer to Monroe city if you need something from town. Indian creek is more secluded though.

bob barnes likes this.
  3. jackfrost

jackfrost Member

Was at Jack Russell about three weeks ago, as we passing thru on our to the Smoky Mountain and every thing in very good condition. The restrooms we had was clean, flush toilets and the sites were. Very private. Spent two nights there and would stop again if given the chance. People were very nice and Avery nice visitor center.

4. egapylime

egapylime Member

I just spent 5 nights at Ray Behrens so here is my review.

1st campground you come to is Deer Run and that entire loop is walk up only. Very nice area, all kinds of sites, clean restrooms and the best playground in the facility. I did notice not as many trees in this loop.

2nd campground is Blue "something" and is reservable. All spacious sites, nice restrooms, 2nd best playground in the facility. We will be staying here in September.

3rd campground at the end is Cedar Ridge. We spent 5 nights on site 123. Just enough privacy and partially shaded was nice. Only con for this site was that the hiking trail went right behind us in clear view and it got "busy" on occasion. Bathrooms were clean, multiple dumpsters for trash and yet I never really smelled anything.

Rangers were around often and the gate attendants (2 different couples) were MORE than helpful and pleasant with anything I needed. Horse flies were a nuisance, but once you got use to them dive bombing at you it wasn't an issue :) TONS of Daddy Long Legs spiders (I think I brought 6 home with me!)

Blackjack Marina is in this facility, though you have to drive to it unless you want a long bike ride. Not much to do, only has a small restaurant open on the weekends, but they have a bunch of Carp that you can feed and the kids loved it. Spalding Beach was a 10 minute drive and was a beautiful place to swim. The beach gets pretty dirty by the end of the day with people not throwing their trash away, but we were there early.

Friends of ours rented a pontoon from Indian Creek Marina since Blackjack was out of them and so we drove over there for the day on Sunday. About 25 minutes to get there and the lake was gorgeous. Swam at Indian Creek beach as well and it was very nice.

Beautiful visitors center in the area and lots of "lookouts."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. EK41

EK41 Member

Here is a sample of what the campsites look like at Indian Creek campground. The photo is taken from the road. Sites are deep and have lots of shade.
    [​IMG]

6. BoonDockerBob

BoonDockerBob Nothing better than the smell of a campfire

Ray Behrens is one that you MUST check the drop / increase in site elevation BEFORE you reserve . We reserved site 104 thinking it was a site close to the water with easy access . Well , nether was true . The site had a VERY large drop from front to back and it took forever to setup . My wife constantly had worries that we would roll backwards into the woods even AFTER it was chocked , blocked and leveled - lol . I even had to put a chain ( yes , I carry 4 - 20 foot 3/8 inch chains on a chain rack on the back of my homemade headache rack under the 3 inch roll bar which also has a 7500 lb winch on it ) to the PU to the POP-UP so if it did roll , it would take my f150 4X4 manual with 31's on it . lol ( I'll post some pics after I figure out how later )

7. BoonDockerBob

BoonDockerBob Nothing better than the smell of a campfire

pics of the site at RAY BEHRENS ... #104

[​IMG]

And yes ... the pop up IS level in these pictures ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]