Martin Creek SP-Tatum, tx

Discussion in 'Texas' started by bloozeharp, Jun 2, 2013.

1. bloozeharp

bloozeharp New Member

We camp here quite often, mainly because it is close to home (Kilgore), and it is great fishing. The park is nice with roomy sites, trails for hiking and biking, and plenty of shade. The 1 thing that takes getting used to is the power plant that sits across the lake. Train whistles, etc can be somewhat annoying at night, but with all the park"s positive aspects, it is no big deal IMO. Catfishing is our thing and we do quite well on trotlines baited with live bait. Very healthy population of big blues and ops in this lake. Crowds are seldom a problem here (except on holidays) and if you come during the week, chances are you will have plenty of elbow room. We usually stay a week at a time and are never ready to leave. Very friendly staff also.
    Park is approx 20 miles south of Longview

2. Indy

Indy Member

Haven't been there in several years, but what I didn't like was the view of the power plant. Other than that, it's a pretty good park and I agree with all your assessments.

3. Roy and Janet Bowman

Roy and Janet Bowman Poppin' Up from Aggieland

Hey, now! Nothing wrong with a power plant! I want A/C when I get back home!

4. Indy

Indy Member

I want A/C at home and while I'm camping, too! Nothing against a power plant, 'cept when it's blocking my view.