Mather Campground, Grand Canyon National Park, AZ.

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Unstable_Tripod, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

This is the largest CG on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, containing over 320 sites on seven loops. About one-third of them are pull-throughs. Roads and site pads are paved and fairly level. Maximum vehicle length is 30 feet. It is open year-around and takes reservations in the summer. It is FCFS in the winter. Campers without reservations can ask about available space at the office. There are usually cancellations and no-shows. I scored a three-night stay in a great pull-through site (Oak Loop 210) with no reservations. The fee is $18 per night.

There are no hook-ups. (Nearby Trailer Village, similar to a mall parking lot, has hook-ups for a much higher cost.) Each site has a table and fire ring. Water is available at spigots on the loop roads (in summer only). Rest rooms have flush toilets. A phone, combination laundromat and shower (both coin-operated), dump station and bus stop for the shuttle are at the campground entrance. Gathering wood is prohibited. Quiet time is 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM. Generators can be run 8:00-10:00 AM and 6:00-8:00 PM except in the Pine Loop which is tents only and generator free. Pets must stay leashed and attended at all times. The CG is heavily forested; the sites are of reasonable size and well-spaced apart. Some, like the one I had, are quite large. Privacy can be very good or acceptable depending on the specific site. Elevation is 7,000 feet so expect cool or cold nights, even in summer.

The CG is about a quarter mile from the Market Plaza in Grand Canyon Village. Market Plaza has a general store that sells groceries, clothing and wood, restaurants, an inn, a post office, a bank and numerous other services. Three shuttle bus routes (Village Route, Kaibab/Rim Route and Hermit Route) allow you to get around the park without having to drive and look for parking. The buses start early, run late and come often so they are convenient.

Here’s shot of my campsite.
    [​IMG]

2. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

Thanks for the review- I have been reading all your posts since we really want to plan a "grand tour" of the southwest next year. And of course the Grand Canyon is one of the places we want to take our boys!

3. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Thank, UT for posting this info and picture. I want to go there someday so this will be valuable.

4. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

Mather Campground, Grand Canyon National Park, AZ.

Wow, great looking place!

DH '70
    DW '67
    DS1.0 '98
    DS2.0 '02
    And Solomon, our inside Cavalier Spaniel

5. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I quite enjoyed Mather CG. For being a very large CG, it is quite comfortable and I found most sites to be of acceptable (surprisingly so) size and separation. Hope you don't mind UT...here's a couple pics from our visit:

[​IMG]
    Site 179; our site for 3 nights.

[​IMG]
    Elk passing through the CG; this is site 180 just across the loop road from us.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Not at all! This section is to review CGs and the more input and images there are for a particular CG the better able someone will be to make a decision about whether they want to try it or not.

7. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

For such a large CG, it appears that CSs are a decent size with nice tree cover. Got to go sometime.

8. gjamamama

gjamamama Member

We just visited the Grand Canyon and stayed 3 nights at Mather. It was a wonderful trip. Here's our YouTube review!

DiamondGirl likes this.