Mattress alternatives?

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by chadjill2016, Jun 15, 2016.

1. chadjill2016

chadjill2016 New Member

We are borrowing my cousin's popup camper next week. We are taking a month long trip to the Blackhills, Yellowstone and Glacier. A mouse got in the camper and ate their mattresses. What are your recommendations to creating a comfortable sleeping space without purchasing $450 mattresses?

2. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We added full sized thermarests in under our PUP's mattress. That helped much and these were about 1.5 inches thick.

3. p

p Active Member

4. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Air mattresses. I know some people find them more comfortable than rv mattresses. I just bought two queens that you can use separately or attached one on top of the other for about $20 at Walmart.

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

You can certainly buy new foam at pretty much any fabric store, or you can measure the mattresses and match up new foam mattresses from IKEA.

Or, you can try laying a mattress topper over what's left of the original mattresses.

6. 91Starcraft

91Starcraft Member

Amazon has memory foam mattresses that a lot of people like for the best prices I've seen.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GP4REKY/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_69?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AOFIBMXVIVCJ6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. gonefishingdude

gonefishingdude Member

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Most campers have beds that do not match home size, at least until the big RVs. Camping mattresses such as Thermarests come in a number of camping sizes too. We trimmed new foam for our first pup & TT, and the memory foam toppers for both pups and our TT. I've used good sized craft shears and an electric knife, as well as multiple passes with a utility knife. Depends on what's available and how important a perfect edge is.

9. 91Starcraft

91Starcraft Member

Yes we did cut it down.

10. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Air Mattress for sure , way more comfy than pads and foam etc. and you get to keep it afterwards . [A]

11. 91Starcraft

91Starcraft Member

We tried the air mattress thing but because our beds are so awkwardly sized it was either too big or too small.

12. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I added three inch foam to my OEM mattress in my POPUP just on the bed we use for sleeping. The other tent bed is our day time catch all place...

The three inch foam brought everything up to almost touching the ceiling when packing up for transport... You definitely want to make sure your ceiling lights disconnect switch is working in case you would leave the lights on when lowering the roof. I know how hot the Automotive type light bulbs really really get hot and this would be a fire hazard for sure.

I also lined both bed ends with those two foot square carpet pieces from Lowes. This itself helps get some cold air away from the bottom of the mattress...

We also tried the air mattress but did not like the changing of air pressure from evening to morning and having to wake up all sunk way down into the air mattress when trying to wake up haha...

Everything has it quirks - Even the Foam Toppers will become solid as a rock if you let it get below freeing inside the POPUP. As well as the foam pillows. Woke up another morning and was laying in my frozen body-print left in the foam and foam pillow. Hard as a rock haha... It had gotten down below freezing where we was at and we didn't have the heat turned on. As soon as it warmed up inside the trailer they become soft again.

Strange things happen I reckon...

Roy Ken