Mattress Help

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by ktharmon1, Apr 15, 2015.

1. ktharmon1

ktharmon1 New Member

Hi Everyone. We are going to be purchasing our first, new to us, used pop up this weekend. I am beyond psyched and have been reviewing this portal like crazy and gathering ideas on remodeling from pinterest. My question is this. Not sure what size mattress comes on either side, but I get easily sceeved out by sleeping on someone else's bed. I have been online looking at mattress costs but am finding the costs WAY more than I want to spend. I thought about a plastic cover over the old one and then adding in a mattress pad to give it a little umph. Thoughts? Has anyone tried a blow up mattress? Please help! Thanks so much.

2. jman1200

jman1200 http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/jmanotas/

Hi

The reason I bought a PUP was to get away from air mattresses... [:(O]
    The mattress covers can be removed and machine washed, if you want new foam you can get it at a very reasonable price at www.foambymail.com
    I do not recommend using plastic on a mattress, it could accumulate moisture and then mold.

3. betancourtfamily6

betancourtfamily6 New Member

sceeved out... lol my wife does too...

After we bought our NTU pup, we removed the mattresses from the pup, sprayed them down with Lysol and let them air dry.. they were both in great condition for being 28 years old so not replacing them. Placed anti fatigue pads under them and mattress topper above... done.

4. ktharmon1

ktharmon1 New Member

Thank you. I like that idea as well. Trying not to spend a ton of money as we have a small budget. I have a feeling I am going to need to redo the fabric inside. Even though I haven't seen the inside....something keeps telling me I need to. But really I just want to get rid of extra smells, bodily fluids (GROSS!!!), or what have you. That was my thinking behind the plastic mattress protector. But if it holds moisture, forget it. I'll try the lysol trick. I have two weeks before our first trip in May. So psyched!

5. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Here's our set up after trying a few. This is the most comfortable for us and easy to fit the budget: One inch insulation foam boards from Home Depot, cut to take the bottom off and lay it to the side of the 4'x8' sheet. This covers a queen size bed and insulates for sound and temperature changes under the bed end. Next, we have a queen size air mattress that we inflate onsite, deflate before leaving so our roof closes! The layer on which we sleep (before sheets are put on) is the original mattress cover filled with a 3" memory foam mattress cover. If the story of "The Princess and the Pea" comes to mind, that's us. [LOL]

6. betancourtfamily6

betancourtfamily6 New Member

^^^ that sounds like it would work great too.... we just aren't into all that air mattress stuff....

Hey ktharmon1... what make/model pup are you getting this weekend?

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Camper bed sizes tend to be not exactly like home mattresses.

Air-only mattresses tend to be cold. Some have used Therm-a-rests alone, or on combination with memory foam in pups. That is the route we were going to take if we kept our pup; the original mattress, used with a memory foam topper, would have needed replacing in the next year or tow.

Good quality foam is not cheap. We bought foam for new cushions and mattress in our first pup, and it cost somewhere around $300, from a local upholstery and foam place. (The foam usually carried at fabric stores is not usually of the correct density and resiliency.) I returned to the same place last fall, when we had to replace the mattress in our brand new TT, since it was not good for either of us. IIRC, that one was about $150-200, we had already purchased a made in USA memory foam topper trying to make the TT's one work.
    This is where we have bought memory foam for home and campers:
    http://stores.ebay.com/USA-MADE-Sleepy-Mtn-Mattress?_rdc=1

Another section to look at:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=79.0

8. ktharmon1

ktharmon1 New Member

@betancourt, it is a 1993 Fleetwood Pioneer Arcadia