Mattress replacement options

Sarah Echols

May 17, 2021
Hi everyone, my family and I were gifted a 2011 Forest River Salem 17EXL and are SO EXCITED to take it out and spend some time outdoors! However, my husband has had 2 backs fusions and a cervical spine surgery so bed comfort is paramount for us. Has anyone ordered the foam mattresses to replace the pads in there? If so what size did you get? The dimensions of the front bed are 59x74, should I order 2 pieces at 29.5x37 for easier storage? We both dislike memory foam, so looking to see what other options there are.
Any and all suggestions we welcome. TIA!

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
Another option is to keep the existing mattresses, and put 3/8" thick closed-cell foam camping pads under them.

The mattresses that come with popups are a little thin and not very firm. So for me, my hips sink through them and hit the hard plywood bunk base. By putting a 3/8" thick dense closed-cell camping foam pad (several of them side by side) under the mattresses, I reduce the pressure point sensation, and it helps a lot. I like it better than memory foam toppers; it's thinner, and does more for me.

eoleson1

Super Active Member
Jul 5, 2011
Macomb County Michigan
My son and daughter in law bought a Linenspa 10 inch memory foam and they are very happy with it. It doesn't stay on the bunk though. When the pack up, they slide it off onto the dinette.