Mattress replacement options

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Sarah Echols, May 17, 2021.

1. Sarah Echols

Sarah Echols New Member

Hi everyone, my family and I were gifted a 2011 Forest River Salem 17EXL and are SO EXCITED to take it out and spend some time outdoors! However, my husband has had 2 backs fusions and a cervical spine surgery so bed comfort is paramount for us. Has anyone ordered the foam mattresses to replace the pads in there? If so what size did you get? The dimensions of the front bed are 59x74, should I order 2 pieces at 29.5x37 for easier storage? We both dislike memory foam, so looking to see what other options there are.
    Any and all suggestions we welcome. TIA!

2. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Another option is to keep the existing mattresses, and put 3/8" thick closed-cell foam camping pads under them.

The mattresses that come with popups are a little thin and not very firm. So for me, my hips sink through them and hit the hard plywood bunk base. By putting a 3/8" thick dense closed-cell camping foam pad (several of them side by side) under the mattresses, I reduce the pressure point sensation, and it helps a lot. I like it better than memory foam toppers; it's thinner, and does more for me.

3. Sarah Echols

Sarah Echols New Member

The camper sadly did not come with any mattresses at all, so were at ground zero.

4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

My son and daughter in law bought a Linenspa 10 inch memory foam and they are very happy with it. It doesn't stay on the bunk though. When the pack up, they slide it off onto the dinette.

Sunnyside likes this.
  5. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

60X74 or 60X75 is considered RV short queen. You can get a lot of info on RV replacement mattresses HERE.