Mattress replacement

Xjsport95

May 19, 2022
My camper was stripped of all soft goods when I got it… no cushions, mattresses, dinette seats, curtains, nothing…
My question: Are air mattresses a good choice for a pop up? I can do upholstery no problem but, the cost of the foam is crazy… has anyone used air mattresses as a replacement mattress in their pop up?
Any pros or cons?
My pro is the price and availability my con is having to pump up and deflate each time… also the chip board bed base, thinking I would have to put either contact paper or some sort of pad to keep the rough chip board from puncturing the mattress

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Well, some bed frames have metal part on the inside so protect the air Matt from those. And I would deflate the air mattresses before closing the camper.

Xjsport95

May 19, 2022
Definitely have to deflate… I have a battery powered, ac powered and 12v powered air pumps, shouldnt have an issue inflating and deflating…

Jkoht

Aug 10, 2020
I don't know what your experience with air mattresses has been, but in mine they don't seem to last. I've had half a dozen or so through the years, they work a few times and then they develop pinhole leaks and start deflating on you in the middle of the night. I'd say a better recommendation would be a 4" memory foam mattress topper from Amazon or some such, maybe through a foam floor tile puzzle mat underneath.

Xjsport95

May 19, 2022
I don't know what your experience with air mattresses has been, but in mine they don't seem to last. I've had half a dozen or so through the years, they work a few times and then they develop pinhole leaks and start deflating on you in the middle of the night. I'd say a better recommendation would be a 4" memory foam mattress topper from Amazon or some such, maybe through a foam floor tile puzzle mat underneath.
My only experience with them is when my rv broke down and had to tent for awhile… they’re not permanent solutions but for a summer when finances are tight is what I’m thinking for this year

Jkoht

Aug 10, 2020
My only experience with them is when my rv broke down and had to tent for awhile… they’re not permanent solutions but for a summer when finances are tight is what I’m thinking for this year
As a temporary solution my next recommendation would be personal self inflating sleeping pads for camping for whoever is going to be sleeping. They are built stronger and will last longer. Camping world has a coleman made one for $29.99.

98Roamer

Oct 5, 2012
we tried an air mattress as a topper to our old mattress and all the deflating issues pushed us to buy a 4" topper and use that as the mattress. It's a little too soft for my likings but way better than an air mattress.
I've been trying to find the nice box spring camper system that has floating like disc to prevent the mattress from hitting the OBS bed ends boards.
I've looked into building my own mattress with a firm layer below and softer layer, but prices are crazy as mentioned.

hayyward

Silver Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2006
Packerland
We bought a Camp King self-inflating mattress which was / is more comfortable but the self-inflating ones don't deflate like you need them to. You can't just pull the plug and let the air out, you have to perform aerobic exercises on them to squeeze the air out and then they don't lay flat. We used ours maybe twice then gave it up. When breaking camp, I didn't want to spend an hour wrestling that dang mattress.

bruce wayne

Jun 16, 2020
i'm on my second air mattress this season as the first developed a leak, and i was like the guy above. i did have four inch memory foam over the seat cushions and it was pretty comfy, but a real booger to change sheets, and the foam is fairy heavy.

Fern Dweller

Jul 16, 2021
Memphis TN
We ended up finding that the mattress in the pup was the biggest upside to the whole thing. Not sleeping on an air mattress is a game changer for me while camping. I didn’t realize the foam prices were so high, but I wonder if as a workaround you could find an old sleeper sofa on Facebook marketplace (or the curb if you’re lucky) and just take the mattress off that. As a bonus the cushions could maybe be cut down to size and recovered for your dinette etc. good luck and hope you can find a solution that leads to a good night’s rest!

Olivine

Sep 6, 2015
We ended up finding that the mattress in the pup was the biggest upside to the whole thing. Not sleeping on an air mattress is a game changer for me while camping. I didn’t realize the foam prices were so high, but I wonder if as a workaround you could find an old sleeper sofa on Facebook marketplace (or the curb if you’re lucky) and just take the mattress off that. As a bonus the cushions could maybe be cut down to size and recovered for your dinette etc. good luck and hope you can find a solution that leads to a good night’s rest!
Ewwww.

Karey

Apr 3, 2021
Colorado
We find air mattresses take on the air temperature. So if chilly, then it's chilly below us and we get chilled, and vice-versa. The pin-holes have been addressed.

Apr 4, 2017
I second the suggestion to look on Amazon for a memory foam mattress. Depending on what size you need for the bed end(s) you may be able to buy a bigger size, cut it down (an electric knife works great!) and use the extra for some of your seat cushions. I recently bought a queen size for under $300 for my guest room bed - it's super comfy!

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I've found classic air mattresses are cold. The ones that are bed-mattress thicknesses would have been too close to the tenting roof in either of our popups. (I have one of those around here, only good for one person, but some of the newer ones have baffles, etc.
We had plans to use our Therm-a-rest mattresses, under a memory foam topper, when we needed to replace the original foam in the last popup we had. (We had to change to the travel trailer before we had to do that.) The Therm-a-rest mattresses have the advantage of being foam and air, and can be adjusted to very firm or less, as one needs.

Jim Keeling

Jul 22, 2021
Georgetown, Tx
My camper was stripped of all soft goods when I got it… no cushions, mattresses, dinette seats, curtains, nothing…
My question: Are air mattresses a good choice for a pop up? I can do upholstery no problem but, the cost of the foam is crazy… has anyone used air mattresses as a replacement mattress in their pop up?
Any pros or cons?
My pro is the price and availability my con is having to pump up and deflate each time… also the chip board bed base, thinking I would have to put either contact paper or some sort of pad to keep the rough chip board from puncturing the mattress
I suggest looking for used discarded sofas in neighborhood. These are usually better than camper cushions. Cheap! Free!

Jul 20, 2014
Our foam is now 26 years old, and not as firm as we'd like. We've now added the interlocking floor pads under the foam mattresses, which helps tremendously, but since we used to put the various poles under the mattresses for fold-down, we needed to find a new place for those, as we didn't want to create permanent dents in the pads!

Depending on your bunk size, air mattresses might not fit. They would be too long for our bunks.

That said, we extended our bed over the first bench, and now sleep with our heads over the hitch and our feet near the door. We were able to fit two twin air mattresses side by side in that space, and did not experience any leaks, but climbing onto them can be a chore. And you'd probably need the foam pads I mentioned above to protect the air mattress(es) from the metal retaining bar (if there is one). (We had ours over the foam when we did that, so didn't need to worry about that.)

So, the air mattress(es) might work, if they fit, but I would not depend upon them long term.

It occurs to me that a mattress topper over a couple layers of the interlocking foam floor pads might work well. I found them reasonably-priced at Harbor Freight, and cut them to fit the space. A couple strips of foam mounting tape should keep the upper layers in place. (I used a regular scissors to cut the floor mats to fit.)

DandLBack

May 2, 2016
Woodinville, WA
Any pros or cons?
Our foam is now 26 years old, and not as firm as we'd like. We've now added the interlocking floor pads under the foam mattresses, which helps tremendously, but since we used to put the various poles under the mattresses for fold-down, we needed to find a new place for those, as we didn't want to create permanent dents in the pads!

Depending on your bunk size, air mattresses might not fit. They would be too long for our bunks.

That said, we extended our bed over the first bench, and now sleep with our heads over the hitch and our feet near the door. We were able to fit two twin air mattresses side by side in that space, and did not experience any leaks, but climbing onto them can be a chore. And you'd probably need the foam pads I mentioned above to protect the air mattress(es) from the metal retaining bar (if there is one). (We had ours over the foam when we did that, so didn't need to worry about that.)

So, the air mattress(es) might work, if they fit, but I would not depend upon them long term.

It occurs to me that a mattress topper over a couple layers of the interlocking foam floor pads might work well. I found them reasonably-priced at Harbor Freight, and cut them to fit the space. A couple strips of foam mounting tape should keep the upper layers in place. (I used a regular scissors to cut the floor mats to fit.)

Like MichelleRowell, our camper bed mattresses are 20+ years old and are not so supportive as they should be, so we would "bottom out" when sleepiing on our side.
We did two things:
1) installed foam tile under the mattress. These are interlocking foam tiles used for excercize room padding. They not only somewhat soften the base, but also add insulation. These would be a good base under any air mattress.

2) We use a high quality inflatable sleeping pad between the foam tile and the foam mattress. This is really the key for comfort as the foam tiles are not all THAT soft. The one we use is a KLYMIT Double V sleeping pad, turned so it extends from head to below the hips on our 75" wide pull out bunk end. This is our third season using this sleeping pad, so its turned out to be quite durable. We used it 4 nights over the 4th of July weekend and it stayed fully inflated. Can be inflated using the storage bag, but we just use a 12v air pump. It has a pretty good one-way valve in the inflation port, so it does not deflate before you can plug it.

Last edited:

karen Hoffmeister

Nov 6, 2021
Any pros or cons?
Wall mart has "bed in a box. "
Not as expensive as individual foam pieces. Get one, try on bed. If ok. Get another and cut to fit as cusions.
Then, considrer for bench seats, this upholsterer.
Any pros or cons?
I would consider walmart's bed in a bag for yhe bed. Then, if that works, get another and cut dinette cushions from it and get them upholstered.
Lots of on line upholsterers.
Ours did very well by us. True, we had the cushions to reupholster.
Please let us know how it comes out.
But would forget the air mattress.
K.H.