Mattress Replacement

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by photios, Jun 11, 2015.

1. photios

photios New Member

We have an 11 year old Coleman Niagara, and the foam mattresses are just not comfortable any more, as I sink down through the foam to the plywood. There are lots of mods that people have applied including new foam mattresses, and memory foam toppers, etc, which seem to work for them.

I have another idea. I'm looking at replacing the mattress with this: http://www.amazon.com/Kamp-Rite-Queen-Self-Inflating-Pad/dp/B004M0YYEC/ref=sr_1_86?ie=UTF8&qid=1433969099&sr=8-86&keywords=sleeping+pad+camping

It's a 4" thick foam/air mattress. The only complaint from people who have purchased it is that it's just so hard to deflate and roll up. The nice thing for my application is that I won't have to deflate it, as I can just keep it where it is. All the reviews state how amazingly comfy it is.

Here's the one thing that's holding me back... My platform is 77x70, and the mattress is 77x60 So... We'll have a 10" of empty space. Would that be pretty inconvenient? I suppose I could cut a 10" section from the original mattress, and have the whole area covered with the coleman mattress cover... My wife is not keen on that idea, of ruining the original mattress.

Any thoughts...

Attached Files:

2. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Member

I went on foamfactory.com and ordered a king short mattress for my coleman and its awesome. Check them out.

WestTex_Nancy likes this.
  3. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We scored a pillow top inflatable mattress from a sofa bed. Better than our mattress at home. Another plus it the sheets fit much better which makes DW happy and DW is happy everyone is happy :)

HeatherTS likes this.
  4. oscrfsh

oscrfsh New Member

I would like to get my hands on some newer mattresses that are heated for my 95

5. tandt

tandt Member

We have a coleman as well and our mattress is overdue for replacement - we were thinking of getting a new one but wondering if it is worth the investment [?:~{]
    did you find it was money well spent? and how thick was the mattress that you bought? we were worried that a 6" foam would be too thick.....
    thanks [;)]

6. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Code:
    I would like to get my hands on some newer mattresses that are heated for my 95
    DW does miss the heated mattress when it's cold out, so she keeps a heated throw blanket in the pup and tucks it in between the sheet and comforter.

7. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

We swapped out our mattresses for air beds inflate on arrival deflate before take down comfy for us

8. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Member

they are 4 inch lux foam, its firmer. They sell different firmness and thickness. Its probably one of the nicer mattresses ive ever slept on.

[​IMG]

9. zuiko

zuiko New Member

I have the same problem with my Jayco - I have a 3 night trip coming up next week and am thinking about getting a 3" memory foam topper at Sam's Club and putting it over the mattress so I don't wake up sore in the mornings. I plan on getting the king instead of the queen - so it would be 6" too wide compared to the RV size king and I could cut it down, rather than having the 10" gap if I went with the queen. Sam's Club has the king for $129 which seems to be about as cheap as you can get 3" of memory foam in that size. I have used a 2.5" memory foam topper on a regular mattress in the house and it made a big difference. I think it would fold up fine with the extra 3" of foam on top... I seem to remember there being a lot of clearance over the bed and it would compress if it needed to.

10. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

We swapped out our foam mattress for air beds queen fits good full is 4" narrow but grand kids don't mind. Air up at camp site and deflate while packing up. We like the air beds.

11. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member

We used a 2" thick king size foam mattress topper from Bed, Bath & Beyond for our Sequoia PU.
    Fits perfectly w/o any cutting.
    Makes the bed way more comfortable & helps keep the temperature on cold nights.
    We leave it in place when breaking down during camping season. The weight of the roof collapses the foam enough to latch it in place after a minute & the foam pops back to original thickness when we pop up the roof the next trip.
    It comes with a zippered cover which makes it real easy slide on/off the bed if you don't want to leave it on the mattress when you break down.

12. joseph.c.lemmon@gmail.com

joseph.c.lemmon@gmail.com New Member

Looked for foamfactory.com, JeepGuy93, but found architectural foam. Guessing the site is thefoamfactory.com? Thanks,
    Joe

13. money pit

money pit What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!

14. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

That's what we use after replacing original mattresses. Very comfortable.

15. Snuffy54321

Snuffy54321 New Member

For those of you who used the LUX foam from thefoamfactory, did you find that this mattress has enough give for side sleeping? Did you bottom out at all? The LUX foam is primarily used for a bed base because of it's stiffness and very firm feel. The HD36 foam is also used as a base foam with softer foams and memory foams on the layers above it, but it has a more medium-firm feel, which is why I'm leaning towards 4" of HD36 foam for my primary mattress with no other toppers, etc. TIA

16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Another thought is to put anti fatigue foam mats under your original mattress. That’s the route I took and so much better. I no longer feel the plywood when I sleep. If what ever you choose, if it’s going to be taller than your original mattress is to do an empty tissue box test to see how much room you have to play with. Put an empty tissue box between your roof and mattress and close the camper. The amount not crushed is how much higher from stock mattress you have. I personally do not have luck with air mattresses they always seem to leave me sinking because they become flat. They also, I find, are very cold to sleep on in the colder temperatures.

HeatherTS likes this.
  17. smredinger

smredinger New Member

Hi Snuffy 54321,

I am contemplating the same question. Did you get a new mattress yet and if so, what did you go with and how is it? I think we can go with a 4.5" mattress - my hubby is a big guy so the more the merrier so to speak. We used to put a 2" topper on top of the stock mattress which is about 4" and we could get the top to close. Was going to go with the HR-33 as opposed to the LX-38 as I like a softer mattress and it'll hopefully work for both of us.

Anyone else go with a single foam mattress in their pop-up? Max height? Foam type? TIA!

18. drocks

drocks Member

colemanpopupparts.com is also selling replacement mattresses that use a higher density foam than the originals.

19. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I added a layer of 2x2 carpet squares with sticky back from LOWES on the top of the wood tent bed floor under the mattress... This really helps in both winters and summers on maintaining a pretty good temperature control in the tent bed area... I also use the 2X2x36-inch foam sections that come with window installed air conditioners (LOWES-WALMART) to seal around the tent bed ends where the window fabric material is held in place by shock cord. This closes off the drafts coming into the tent bed area from the sides big time. Also keeps things from falling out of the tent bed ends haha... I use two each of these foam sections on each side of the tent fabric area... Do the same thing for both tent bed ends...
    [​IMG]
    google image

I use the oem mattress that came with my 2008 StarCraft 14 R/T model popup. I did add a 3-inch foam on top of the mattress. It is rather comfortable for us...

We also carry the 12VDC heated lap pads that can be added to covers of the tent bed...

We also have two sleeping bags zipped together and laying just under the first layer of bedding. This is our major PLAN B to get into when necessary for keeping warm if we lose heat inside the trailer when camping off-grid...

While on the subject of cold air take a look from inside your trailer and look down where the pulled out tent bed floor meets up with the trailer end walls... I had a small rubber seal here that did not work well at all. I could actually see daylight here... Night bugs were getting into our trailer here at night haha...

I replace the simple seal with a door jam strip like this that I ordered thru AMAZON... This is glued in place over both end walls on the trailer. Had to be cut in a couple of places to fit but really works great sealing off the 1/2-inch gap I had haha... Looks like this...
    [​IMG]
    Google image

Don't see daylight looking through there anymore now...

Always trying to stay on top of things haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

20. Snuffy54321

Snuffy54321 New Member

I actually bought a 4.5" foam sofa bed mattress from Amazon and cut it down to size and bought a waterproof mattress protector for it. . I also built my own 4.5" mattress with Lux foam from thefoamfactory and it is STIFF!!! Everyone likes the 4.5" Amazon mattress much better. The Amazon mattress is 2.5" HD36 foam and 2" memory foam. I really like the HD36 foam and if I were to do it again, I would buy 4-5" of the HD36 foam from the foamfactory, cover it with a mattress protector and call it the day! The HD36 foam is VERY comfortable and also very supportive. I'm 220lbs, and I don't bottom out as long as I put the memory foam side on the bottom. Here's the link for the mattress I purchased... https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Bran...ocphy=9007255&hvtargid=pla-273259752719&psc=1
    When I purchased it, it was around $105 for the full, it's now $127.
    The same mattress is on wayfair... prices fluctuate. https://www.wayfair.com/Alwyn-Home-...azCh15OA7_EAQYAiABEgL5n_D_BwE&piid=2002528629
    and here's the mattress protector...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYHNK2Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1