Mattress Sizes

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by BadLarry, Feb 10, 2014.

1. BadLarry

BadLarry New Member

Confused here, Maybe its because I am a guy ? I am looking for new bedding for my PUP.. but it seems that the "Full" and the "King" size mattress on the bunk ends are not the same sizes as the standard king and full sizes.. any ideas? I don't want to get out there and find that the sheets don't fit, the advertised sizes for bedding at walmart doesn't match the PUP mattress..???

2. wapwap

wapwap New Member

We have "king" beds in our pup and got king fitted sheets to go on them. They're a little loose, but work fine. We use a duvet-style blanket/comforter as a cover, also regular king sized, and it has enough size to work well. I think the differences in mattress thickness help to make up the difference in size pretty well.

I'm not much help with the "full" bed though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

3. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Might help if you give us the make & model of your PUP. Different manufacturer's have different definitions of a king, queen, or double. For example Coleman/Fleetwood king beds are 70x77 (the largest I've seen in a PUP) while the '06 Starcraft Centennial line is 67x78. Others are shorter. Your best bet is to check the Sales Brochere for your PUP if you can find it or just measure the mattresses and compare to the size on the covers. Our "king size" mattress cover from Bed, Bath, & Beyond works fine. A bit larger than our mattress but definitely workable.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Please do add the make, model and year of your pup to your signature line, you can do that on your profile page. It helps a lot, for all sorts of questions and comments.

Yes, bed sizes in campers seem to be "sort of", rather than standard. Add that to the fact that most are not as thick as the home mattresses of today, with the related bedding with deep pockets, and confusion abounds.

Various fixes exist. Some people just use sleeping bags and avoid the whole issue. DH and I prefer real bedding for the pup, it is much more adjustable to current conditions than the sleeping bags. [As ground campers of more than 2 decades, we have plenty of time in sleeping bags; DH uses one when he backpacks.]
    Our Cobalt has a "full" bed. We have managed to use full/double sheets on it, though they do tuck way underneath the mattress/foam topper combination. We bought a double electric mattress pad with dual controls (that part was not easy to find) for cold weather camping with power, and it is a bit loose, but works. I have thought about altering the sheets so they fit a bit more snugly, but so far we've coped with them as is. BTW, we use flannel sheets most of the year and found fleece sheets for cold weather; our blankets are Polartec throws and yardage. http://www.milldirecttextiles.com/ has good prices for throws and remnants; a couple of times a year they do sales. I made a wool-filled quilt for the pup, too.
    Some have had success using knit sheets, in a size down from their bed size, e.g. queen used on a king bunk.
    If you get actual measurements on your bunk, including thickness, you may be able to find bedding that fits the best. There is actual RV bedding, but it seems a bit pricey, especially when we have had success with other things.
    There are older threads on the subject here:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=79.0

EmilyW likes this.
  5. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Our pup has one king-sized mattress and one queen-sized mattress....then the dbl"s on the "table" beds. I went to Walmart for king-size bedsheets and they fit fine; a little big but they worked. We have a 3" memory foam on the queen bed and fit queen sheets over it just fine as well. A tight fit, but it'll do.

Melissa

6. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Rule of thumb, RV sizes are slightly to significantly smaller. I've never had an issue with using the designated sheets for the "name" size. As people have noted it just means there is extra fabric under the mattress.

7. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

Steveo4090 likes this.
  8. BadLarry

BadLarry New Member

at work now, all my specs are at home. I have the mfgr spec sheet and I just compared them to the bedding sets at Walmart and I saw that they are different.

I'll post my specs when I get home, thanks !

9. BadLarry

BadLarry New Member

Here are my bed sizes..

FRONT BUNK: KING 70X80
    REAR BUNK: DOUBLE 48X80
    DINETTE: 44X72
    BENCH: 34X72

they don't seem to match the standard sizes....

10. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

They won't match. The choice is to buy or make custom sheets or use the slightly larger standard sheets and deal with the extra fabric. Personally I like fitted sheets that fit easily and don't come loose.

11. BadLarry

BadLarry New Member

yea, I agree. I hate sheets that come undone in the middle of the night.

thanks for all the info

12. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Ours have both bed are a Queen size and the sheets work fine.

13. PopUpLarge

PopUpLarge Member

Bump to old thread: hoping to get memory foam toppers to make beds more comfy. I took measurements of my pup's mattresses. The end beds are 68" x 54" and the table bed is 68" x 41". Are these normal sizes? Any place I could get affordable toppers or replacement mattresses or should I just get something close and cut it down?

14. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

I would get something close and cut it down.

EmilyW likes this.
  15. macaddict

macaddict New Member

I get my pop up mattresses from https://www.thefoamfactory.com/. You can put the size of your beds and they cut them for you.

16. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I was going to recommend the same thing. They have them with metal clips as well. Either way they'll help take up the slack in the oversized sheets.

17. traveljunkie

traveljunkie New Member

I have done a lot of research on this and here is what I’ve found. For king size use California king fitted sheets, you can wrap under the mattress. You can used a king/queen flat sheet on top, as well as a queen duvet. This allows the duvet to stretch out fully without any overlap since the mattresses are thin, unlike a regular king mattress. Hope this helps!

18. Anjie

Anjie New Member

Most campers use what is called a short queen size or short full size. Overstock sells RV mattresses in several sizes and thicknesses. There are different firmness as well. My 98 Coleman Redwood has a Short Full on both ends. So 48" wide by 77" long. I have a short full mattress that we acquired for our big camper that is 75" long X 48" wide by 6" thick. I am going to give it a try in my pup this spring. Not sure if it will close or night.