mattress topper storage..

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Puppylove, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

For those of you that fortify your mattress with some kind of topper...How do you store it in the pup? Is there room for keeping it in place when you slide the bed back in?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Check it. Use a tissure box and close the top. Move the box around. Take a measurement of the box. Thats how high you can go.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  3. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

Brilliant thank you!!!

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Not my idea, just passing it along. [:D]

5. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

We can, and do leave the topper on in our Santa Fe. We always put the sheets on at the end of the season and before camping. We cannot have any blankets on the bed but the top will close with the topper and sheets on there. At the end of the season, we cover the mattress, topper, and sheets with a waterproof mattress cover and close her up. We often loosen up the top latches a bit before closing it up so there is little extra strain on the latches, then stop a few miles down the road (usually to gas up) and tighten the locks up a bit after the topper has sunk down. It works for us.

The blankets are kept in a waterproof bag (the one that goes on a bumper cargo rack) which also contains our towels and other linens. This goes in the aisle and comes out and under the rear bunk, outside, when we get set up.

6. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

This is exactly what I'm hoping to do. We'll have a Fleetwood 'Yuma', which may be similar clearance to your Santa Fe. Interesting that you find the topper settles some down the road.

7. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

We expeirmented by adding the cheap 1 in foam wal mart toppers on top of our factory mattresses..we ended up with three 1 in toppers to be super comfortable while still being able to leave them on and close the top.
    Once it was dialed in we bought the good 3 inch memory foam toppers for each bunk.
    I use the cheap wal mart foam toppers now for foam when i am repairing my hunting tree stand seats.

campfire Joe likes this.
  8. kristy obryan

kristy obryan Member

We put 1/2" anti fatigue matts under our mattress on our Fleetwood Avalon and a 1" mattress topper. That extra 1 1/2" made it harder to close. So I just bought some of those storage bags that you can suck all the air out and stored the toppers in the bathroom or under the couch.

9. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I have a 3 inch memory foam topper that goes on the Queen bed where Mrs. Wrench and I sleep. The top will not go down all the way with that topper on the bed. I've tried many times loosening up the roof latches and making sure all the bedding is out of there, but its no use, I have to take it off the bed before popping down. With the dinette down and ready to close up, I slide the topper onto the dinette benches and table top. It hangs over the side and onto the floor a little, but at least I don't have to take it all the way out and try to fit it in the truck somehow. For the winter, it comes in the house and stays in the spare bedroom.

10. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

We don't use a topper, but there's plenty of room in our Pony. I have anti-fatigue mats under each matters, PLUS I store my solar suitcase under one of the matteresses. It's around 3" thick.

11. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

This sounds like a good option, as there's plenty of room for the topper on the benches. Less SQUISH SQUASH1

12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I leave mine on the beds. There is no room to store it anyway since I have the dinette slide on mine. I am at max height though, so I have to unmake the bed every time we pack up.

13. swissgma

swissgma New Member

we got some large zip bags from Ikea..then fold mattress foam and stuff it in the bag and zip. Store in the shower/bath.