1. silar31

silar31 New Member

Well, tried doing Camp Driveway last night and learned that severe arthritis + fibromyalgia + the standard pop-up mattress = fail. After 3 hours of sleeping in 20 minute increments because I was in too much pain to stay asleep we threw in the towel. Just now having a little snack with the pain meds before hitting the super-comfy mattress in my bed!. We will try again tonight with the air mattress, as long as it's not too cold out. I may need a step stool to get on the air matress up o the platform though - we bought one of the extra thick ones because it was on the floor of our tent up to now!

2. R00

R00 Active Member

Two words: Memory foam

3. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

Agreed. We put a memory foam topper on ours and it's really very comfortable. We're not small people (we're not that large, either) and the addition if the foam topper has made all the difference!

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Finding the right mattress combo can be a challenge for home and camping. My funky back has always done well on the ground or floor, as long as I have a Therm-A-Rest. (Combination air and foam, so it is adjustable). I do well with a firm underlay, with something providing sink space to keep the spine straight.
    In the pup, we ended up with 2" memory foam over the original mattress. If we had kept the pup, our plan was to replace the original mattress with a Therm-A-Rest, one of the luxury models, in the next year or 2, used with the memory foam.
    In the TT, the original mattress was definitely interesting. It was supposed to be different firmness levels depending on which way was up. Did not work for either of us. We first put a 3" memory foam (we have the space for it in the TT) on that mattress. Then we replaced the original mattress with foam I bought locally at an upholstery/foam place - they had about a dozen thickness and resiliency choices, and had samples I could stretch out on.

5. Katydid

Katydid New Member

We have a 1 1/2" memory foam mattress on top of the standard bed. It came with a cover which fits on the bed, and I tuck it under the cushions. I leave that in place, we have no problem closing the top down.

We do use a little stool to get into bed, it's one of the folding ones, which is easy to store.

6. Luvin Life

Luvin Life Member

Mattress

I have no disc left in my lumbar vertebrae and my spine is in the process of fusing itself. The self fusing is a long process that is painful for me because the bone is trapping nerves already trapped between my vertebrae. My nerves do not like this process at all. We moved to a pup because I can no longer do an air mattress. The best bed set up I have found after much trial and error from the bottom up is:
    - Plywood base of the pup
    -Anti fatigue interlocking mats from Menards- these I cut down to size using my electric carving knife. These help with not only reducing pressure but also to keep the temperature stable by keeping the cold from seeping up through from under the mattress.
    -pup mattress that came with our camper
    -2" memory foam topper
    -waterproof mattress pad
    -fitted sheet
    -flat sheet
    - cotton waffle weave blanket
    - down comforter in either cotton, fleece, or flannel duvet depending on the temperature where we are going.
    Fortunately we have enough clearance so our bed can remain made even when the pup is closed. I would definitely be reconsidering if I had to unmake and remake the bed every time we closed/opened the pup.

I have found this is the best combination for my health needs. I need to keep the pressure points to a minimum as much as possible. I also need to keep warm because the cold makes my back hurt more than normal.
    There are many options to play with and find what works best for you and your needs. I think the biggest changes that helped the most are the foam between the wood and mattress and the memory foam topper. Reducing pressure points made camping a hobby I can still do even with my physical limitations. I have lost so much function and my activities are so limited it really helps me mentally to get out with the family and enjoy nature!

Keep working to find a combination best suited to your needs. It is so worth the effort to keep the ability to do something you enjoy. Please let us know what you discover in your trials. I am always looking for tweaks and modifications to make camping easier on my body.

Sent from my iPhone

mountaineerFAN1 likes this.
  7. silar31

silar31 New Member

Update: After a few weekends on the air mattress, which wasn't wonderful, we went to Bob's Discount Furniture and spend the money on their best queen size hide-a-bed mattress - 5 inch memory foam. It's exactly the right size for the pup and at $200 considerably cheaper than the "rv mattresses" we looked at. Seems like the second you tack "rv" onto anything the price jumps! While it's not the same as our wonderful gel memory foam mattress at home, it's miles better than the old dead mattress we had or the air mattress. We're in the middle of our second week of camping and we've had very little trouble sleeping - last night it was a hunting coyote pack keeping us awake, not being in pain from a bad mattress!

8. Lathrop Bob

Lathrop Bob New Member

Memory foam is a life saver with popup beds. On our first trip I just used the factory mattress and thought I would be crippled for life. After the two weeks it took me a month to recover from that rack. Our next trip was a week in the redwoods. My wife got me a 1 1/2" foam topper. It wasn't quite enough but I was able to fold it over and sleeping was fine. I have now picked up a 3" topper.

9. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Another vote for memory foam. But find a quality product. 2 inches is all we could get away with and still have the top close but...that's all we needed. We tried it on top of the OEM mattress but I found that I didn't like how it felt. I wasn't used to sleeping on memory foam. So we slipped it under the mattress and aaaahhhhhh just right. Our pup beds are real comfy now.

10. colocmpr

colocmpr Member

For those that have added memory foam, do you leave it on the bed when you close up and does everything shut down okay? Or do you add it when you set up and pull it back off before you shut down?

11. R00

R00 Active Member

Mine plus mattress is just barely closable, so I fold it, bag it, and throw it under the dinette table. Plus side, odd sized items are held well by this setup, the foam conforms to the item well. Fans, chairs, weird shaped boxes, etc.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@colocmpr
    The answer to whether the pup will close with memory foam on the bed is "it all depends" - on thickness of foam, space under the roof, even type of tenting fabric, etc.
    For us, in our first pup, 1" memory foam was all we could add. Even then, we had to removed most bedding. That pup had vinyl tenting, which did not compress well. In cold weather the canvas and foam for stiffer and it took linger for it to settle so we could latch the roof.
    In our Cobalt, we added 2" memory foam, but again had to remove most bedding. We use actual bedding, and were able to leave the mattress pad (an electric one in cold weather if we camped with power hook-ups) and bottom sheet on the bed. The rest of the bedding got stuffed into the top of the galley and dinette storage spaces; space for the bedding was easier to find than a larger space for the entire memory foam.
    In cold weather, it took a bit for the foam to agree to settle to latch the roof, but it was better when we could keep the heater going as long as possible as we prepared to break camp. That pup had Sunbrella tenting with a few inches of vinyl at the base, so it folded better on top of the bed than the vinyl of our first pup.
    In neither pup did we have room to remove the foam and stash it anywhere in the pup. First one had a 6' box and the Cobalt had an 8' one. What little floor space we had was taken up with clothing and pillow duffels, folded tables, Lynx blocks, etc.

You can do the "Kleenex box" test to determine how much space you have between bed and roof. Set a Kleenex box or something similar on top of the bed. Close the pup completely (latches and all) then re-open. The amount that is left of the box is how much space there is between roof and bed when closed.

13. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

[quote author=silar31 - we bought one of the extra thick ones because it was on the floor of our tent up to now!
    [/quote]We have a double thick mattress from tenting as well. The DW and I used it the first night in our PUP. It was nice and comfie but it also a bit to close to the roof. I am not claustrophobic but it was stuffy up there.

14. BlueLine

BlueLine New Member

Followed suit, 2" memory foam from Amazon.com. Was a little concerned when it came in a small carton, but when I opened it it jumped out like a Jack in the Box. Been resting easy ever since. Highly recommend a try. [SNZ]

15. colocmpr

colocmpr Member

Thanks for the detail kitphantom. Looks like we're done camping for this year but I'll have to look into adding the foam next year.

16. colocmpr

colocmpr Member

Thanks for the detail kitphantom. Looks like we're done camping for this year but I'll have to look into adding the foam next year.