Max Rise Safety Concerns?

nwcurt

Sep 23, 2017
Good morning,

I flipped the axle on my '05 Fleetwood Tucson and need a pretty significant rise on the hitch to tow it level.

I know they sell the hitches as "drop -OR- rise", but are there any safety concerns using a hitch that's at a 10" or even 12" rise? It looks a little funny - especially since it seems almost all hitch setups are with a DROP, not a RISE at all.

Just making sure I'm not risking some kind of colossal towing failure. Any advice or input is appreciated.

Thanks!

WVhillbilly

Super Active Member
Jun 6, 2018
WV
I had a 6 inch (ish) drop hitch that I used with the big pick up and motorcycle trailer.
Truck is gone, 4Runner is shorter, pop up is taller.
Flipped the ball on it and have used it a couple years now with no issue.
What are you towing with that you'll need that much rise and why did you lift the camper so high?

Because 10-12" is a LOT of difference.
I don't think that using it flipped over is a safety or strength issue, you're only towing a light pop up.

nwcurt

Sep 23, 2017
I lifted it so I could put some real tires on it and get some more clearance on bad forest service roads. We had an almost identical popup a decade ago and went through 4 tires on a month long road trip. Wanted real radials this time. It raised it about 4".

The tow vehicle just happens to have a low-sitting hitch. It actually has a pretty high bumper and clearance itself ('08 Kia Sorento), but the hitch mounts pretty low.

Thanks for the input!

WVhillbilly

Super Active Member
Jun 6, 2018
WV
This is why I bought a tall camper to start with.
I look at older ones and can't understand how they don't drag everywhere.

generok

Super Active Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Yeah, there's no need to worry about using a drop/rise mount in the rise configuration... it's designed to be used that way (unless there are specific restrictions from the manufacturer, of course).

MNTCamper

Super Active Member
Jun 14, 2014
MN
I use a 5" lift on my minivan - always have. No issue at all. higher lift requires a bit more reinforcement of the receiver insert, but will tow just fine.

Rusty2192

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2014
Kentucky
Just check the weight capacity of the ball mount. It isn’t too common, but I have seen some with different capacities for drop vs rise. I doubt it will be an issue with a pup, but I’d check just to be sure.