May 2019 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, May 2, 2019.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Given the strange weather, who knows? We knew that some roads in the park had issues, such as the scenic drive that goes to Point Imperial and Cape Royal, which was partially closed last week. The section going to Cape Royal had winter damage, and they weren't sure when it would open due to "saturated repair materials" - not clear if that was the piles of material or already in place as repair. The roads (W-1 and W-4) Courtenay was going to ride his bike on were closed due to downed trees and muddy conditions - and that was before this week's snow.
    Kaibab Lodge, the one near DeMotte campground canceled a bunch of reservations due to winter damage to cabins.

I spent a lot of time yesterday and today trying to arrange other possible trips, either to Colorado to visit brothers (one lives there) or to actually get to North Rim this year, to no avail. We could find a couple of possibilities for North Rim, but we'd either have to cancel our Labor Day week trip to CO, or make ourselves crazy shoehorning a trip in Sept. between that and our trip to South Rim.

Now, we need to unpack the fridge in the trailer, as well as the stacks of food and clothing we hadn't yet moved to the trailer.

2. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

got the pup ready for the first camping of the season, when checking the lights, I noticed a burned bulb, now all is good, leaving in a few hours, got to finish packing everything in the Jeep

3. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

5F5A26DA-5F9A-4E40-BFE7-8CBF7ECF08A2.jpeg Just added a new bumper

Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Well, I'm almost done with the table. Really!!! I have cut it to size and stained it. Now I have to print out one of my photos to size and then seal it onto the table top. The top part will be removed from the photo, so the sky will be the grey stained wood. Am ordering the photo tonight.

Have most everything bought for the trailer, so starting this weekend, I will be putting everything away in its place. Then double checking everything that will be kept in the suv.

Next trip will be September. Then the "big trip" to Death Valley in December. I'm hoping some friends might decide to come along for that one.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

Crazy weather out here on the west coast has been the norm this year. Central California has had more tornadoes (though usually EF0, maybe an EF1) this year than I can remember. We've had above average rainfall (9.31" vs 7.54") in the Valley, and it's been some crazy wet snow pack in the Sierras (Tioga Pass is 176% of normal). I'm just hoping we have some dry weather next weekend. Rain on Sat & Sun this weekend. I have a new tongue jack waiting to install.

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Nice! Did you make that? We had to replace our bumper, but bought a used one off eBay that is as ugly as the one that got rear ended. Yours is awesome!

Eric Webber and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. kitphantom

Have started the process of unloading the fridge, though some food can just stay in there until my weekend trip in a couple of weeks. Will do the same with the dry food boxes and my clothing over the weekend.
    Finally came up with a replacement plan for the canceled North Rim trip. We managed to cobble together plans to add onto the front of an Oct. trip already scheduled for South Rim of Grand Canyon. Having to get creative with the openings we could find has made up what should be an interesting trip - including 4 nights at North Rim, a couple at Wahweap (my husband will try for a permit to hike "The Wave").

8. Eric Webber

I wish I could say I did. It’s bought from Mount-n-lock. I did have to adapt it for the crank mechanism and the bunk supports (and had to cut those bars shorter) but it was mostly off the shelf.

Will add a lot of capability since the bumper mounts are the main frame.

Orchid likes this.
  9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

In my world, modifying it counts as making it. [LOL] Anyway, it's a huge improvement from the original, I would love to have one on our camper.

Eric Webber likes this.
  10. Eric Webber

I accept the compliment:)

Orchid likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Its a cool bumper. I was toying with the idea of adding some pipe and such to bold stuff to mine. Im always looking for more space, but that leads to getting more stuff. Its a vicious cycle........

Eric Webber likes this.
  12. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

just got back from our first trip, everything went well, but got a nice thunderstorm last night, at least no water in the pup

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

After months of rain, I have finally dewinterized and sanitized the water system. Washed and waxed and water proofed. Packed her up and I am ready to go!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. kitphantom

Spent some time in it, using it as a work space to decoupage a hat (yes, really). Good place to work and let it dry without feline interference, and nice to hang out there since we're not camping. Wind advisory and red flag warning for today, and the winds have been gusting into the 40s - so happy to have the TT well stabilized! While the pups always managed this type of wind, it's bad enough to feel the TT vibrate, I would not have been working on my hat in them though.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I worked on my table today. I decided to do the photo transfer process. Unfortunately, I didn't work as well as I hoped. I love how the big tree turned out and the back part of the forest, but the front part looked awful. So I made a quick decision to paint the front. Luckily, I had some sample jars of green paint. IMG_20190526_144743.jpg IMG_20190526_145724.jpg

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. momofEAP

momofEAP Member

We did a little work on the outside yesterday. Cleaned up the tongue a bit, trying to get a bike rack onto it. Hoping to a little less rain for our camping trip next month.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Member

Took the PUp to a friend’s garage where we replaced the lift system. Well, my friend replaced it, but I helped (watched), checked the battery and propane, and gave it a much needed bath.

Thursday after work I will open it and make sure the inside is clean, check the canvas, and stock it for NEXT Thursday’s Portal Rally.

momofEAP, Eric Webber and Sjm9911 like this.
  18. kitphantom

Tested the LP/CO detector - I had to look up something in its owner's manual the other day, and found that we are supposed to test the thing weekly, for it "to perform correctly" - oops, haven't been doing that. The test/reset button came off and fell into the sealed works, another oops. End of a pen works to trigger the test now.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

Installed the new tongue jack. Went on easy. Usually things that people say "takes 15 minutes" end up taking hours. This didn't. came with just barely enough wire to make it to the battery and I had a piece of wire loom to cover the wire. Wish it had positive and negative wires, but I guess we'll deal. Add a tool box (48"W, 19"D, 18"H or so) to the front of the deck. I only have the one quad and rarely take it. Putting the fresh water hoses, cable locks and antenna coax (I'm a ham radio operator and I've forgotten coax more than I remembered it.) The one hatch to access any inside storage is a total pain to get hoses, out of. The power cord works ok. Trying to decide if I want to locate the waste adapters up there and section it off. Then I look at the top and thought, you know I could put a 50W panel up there for storage. Forgot the 7-pin cord holder I bought for the tongue jack. So that will go on next weekend at the So-Cal rally.

I bought one of those snazzy Silhouette Cameo 3 cutters and keep thinking about the trailer. We'll see what I can come up with.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  20. 8lugnutz

8lugnutz Member

Try, and then try again. Sometimes on my PUP, the gas line just needs propane pushed from the tank all the way to the appliance. Found that out after giving up too soon on my heater last September. Had it in the garage preparing for spring break and one of my kids kicked it on accidentally, and it lit. If we had only kicked it on one more time we wouldn't have froze our tails off!