May 2020 - What did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, May 1, 2020.

1. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member Diamond Supporting Member

Also, tested the propane system. Some time ago I replaced the thermostat with a digital one and got the fan to blow, as I had batteries hooked up, but couldn't test the heat as I didn't have propane. So, I also turned on the stove (I read in the past it was the quickest way to make sure propane was flowing through the lines) and ran the heater to make sure it was working. Everything a-okay.
    Remaining list: Fix the leak, check/replace the bearings, check/replace the tires, and use (only with water) the cassette toilet so I can familiarize myself with filling, using, and emptying it.

2. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Finally got around to covering the 1998 floor in our Coleman Redwood toady. I have been using it as my office in the garage since late March when we were sent home to work remotely. I really hated how dated and scratched it was so a wile back I bought 45 Driftwood.99 Cent strips from Lowe’s.

2CA4AA59-67AD-4676-8FB3-21D1308287B3.jpeg BED630F3-E20E-4E64-A53B-3F2EF75E0B1B.jpeg C577E395-6CAE-4415-833F-5539AAD38ACB.jpeg 901285F7-F0EF-43CA-9250-FE38FDE588D5.jpeg

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Raycfe, bheff, Orchid and 5 others like this.
  3. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

Looks good. Did you remove the cabinets or just go around them?

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Oh yeah, that's creepy! I wouldn't have wanted a confrontation with someone exhibiting odd behavior either. I sure don't blame you! Sounds like she may be a "crazy cat lady."

Sounds like it will be very nice. Vintage camper and road trip has always been my favorite theme for just about everything in life. I would love to see it if you don't mind posting a pic when you're done. It used to be almost impossible to find vintage camper fabric or decor, I love that it's popular now so much cool stuff out there.

I don't quilt but my sister does. She has a whole quilting room with a quilting table and machine. She's going to finish a king sized Christmas one that I inherited from my MIL, unfinished. I love quilts. I like to look at the fancy, perfect show quilts but more admire the imperfect ones like my grandma did by hand. I wouldn't want one that I couldn't use and enjoy.

I do sew, but don't have the space, talent, or patience for quilts. I mostly do easy things like curtains and valances. The most complex I've ever gotten is cushion covers for our campers. I've done so many of those, that I've actually gotten really good at it. Shocked myself. [LOL] I don't like to sew, I just want what I want and don't want to pay anyone else to make it for me.

Glad you got your quilt back and was able to salvage it!

momofEAP and kitphantom like this.
  5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We have the exact same floor. It's been at least two years since we put ours down and it's holding up great.
    Love the driftwood color since we camp at the beach a lot and it doesn't show sand as easily. Still do a lot of sweeping, but looks much nicer.

6. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member Diamond Supporting Member

No good deed goes unpunished!! Lol
    Well, I decided today that I was going to fix the door. After taking a look at things yesterday I thought all I'd have to do is remove a few nuts IMG_1865.JPG and drop the steps frame, remove the washers and bolt the steps frame back into place. This, I thought, would allow me to tighten the nut thereby lowering the floor into place enough to allow the door to close unimpeded. Umm, nope. The steps frame is also welded, therefore, it wasn't going anywhere, which meant I was gonna have to remove the bench seating end wall. I don't particularly like doing these types of things cause it almost always seems to create some other problem, but I had no choice.
    IMG_1867.JPG IMG_1868.JPG IMG_1869.JPG IMG_1870.JPG IMG_1871.JPG IMG_1872.JPG
    You can see the bolt head upon which sat the bench end wall.
    I removed the washers IMG_1877.JPG and reinstalled everything and, WALA!, the door closed as it should have always done from the time of manufacture. I was proud of myself for having thought through the solution and fixing things myself. Yayyy for me!!!
    Wait, not so fast. Nothing is ever really this easy, is it?
    After patting myself on the back and cleaning things up I began to lock up as I usually do and realized the deadbolt won't lock. I couldn't understand why that was as I never had a problem previously. Apparently, pulling the floor down to create enough of a gap to allow the door to close also pulled the door frame down enough to prohibit the the deadbolt from entering the striker plate. So, it looks like I'm going to have to replace one of the washers.
    Well, I may have to fix that problem, but it won't be today. The door closes and I'm happy with that.
    Edit: I realized a quick fix were a couple of open end lock washers. Backed the nut off, slid them in, and called it a day.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Raycfe, neighbormike and kitphantom like this.
  7. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Sanitized then water system. And starting packing for Memorial Day weekend trip

bheff and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. IdahoGuy

IdahoGuy New Member

Got the trailer ready for a trip to the mountains for Mother's Day. When we got up there, we noticed we had a flat tire. Unfortunately, we had lost our spare on a previous trip and made the decision to risk it. Dumb move. We weren't too terribly far from civilization so I decided to take the wheel off and prop up the hub for the night and setup camp thinking I'd go into town the next day and get a new tire plus a spare. Starting cranking the roof up and one of the cables came lose causing the roof not to go up. Decided the RV gods had spoken and ended up packing up and heading home. Went back the next day to retrieve the trailer with fixed tire and spare and brought her home. Spent the rest of the weekend gutting it. It's something I've been wanting to do for awhile and the broken lift system gave me the incentive to tear into it. Plans are to replace the plumbing with pex and relocate the drain lines. The drains are a quick release style and I would prefer a ball valve style and relocating them will give me better storage. We're putting down a new floor and replacing the cabinetry with something more functional. We are adding an additional cabinet for laundry and additional storage. It's a big project, but I'm looking forward to the work. Here are a few photos of the gut job so far.
    20200508_190350.jpg IMG_20200511_201446.jpg IMG_20200511_201451.jpg IMG_20200511_203128.jpg IMG_20200512_184039.jpg IMG_20200512_184048.jpg IMG_20200513_221946.jpg IMG_20200513_221943.jpg IMG_20200513_221940.jpg

jackquontee, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Sorry about the trip, but it got you motivated!

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Sounds like you have a good plan ........ we want to see your progress .......we are just nosey.

11. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Ordered a gray water container. Next is to test the A/C, and check my leak fixes have worked.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Saw that cool outlet in a airstream a while ago. Love it.

13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I just dropped the clipper off at the shop. They're going to test the propane and water systems, replace the toilet (the burglars used it - gross!), and replace the entry step. Will see if anything else shows up needing repair. We are making sure we keep it below 75% of value so insurance won't total it.

Once that is done, it gets professionally cleaned and then I start restocking it.

If the weather clears up, I'll start cleaning out the FnR. Needs a good going through from the Death Valley trip - never got around to it as I've spent all this time putting the house back in order.

kitphantom, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Austin694

Austin694 Member

I finally broke down and installed the swagman roamer bars on the roof of our Taos. And got some bike carriers, so I dont have to ratchet strap my old rack down and take bike wheels off anymore. Which was the biggest headache for breaking camp. Was pretty nervous drilling holes in the roof, but sealed it up real good. It lives in the garage year round, but has been in the driveway the last couple weeks as I was cleaning it out. And of course we get un-seasonal rain in May in california. Never fails.

Attached Files:

jackquontee likes this.
  15. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

Made some DIY stabilizers that were free and work quite well (thread in stabilize camper forum). Link https://www.popupportal.com/threads/diy-stabilizers.129138/

removed one bunk end canvas that was mildew stained, sprayed it down with Zep mold & mildew stain remover (bleach), and hosed it off well. 99% better. Also cleaned off the tops of the bunk ends with Simple Green, as I realized some of the apparent stains were shadows from dirt on the outside.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. LaneG

LaneG Member

Today I was out working on mine, replacing the two front clearance lights. The DW came out to look and said; "whats that beeping?" My hearing isn't so good (even with hearing aids) so I didn't hear the high pitch sound that she did. We figured out that it was coming from inside the unit. So we hoisted it up and opened the door. Yup, it's inside. Wasn't the Smoke/O2 senor, it was coming from the LP Gas detector down near the floor. I haven't had the propane on for 3 days, and I double checked. It looks like it's got lights on it, but none were lit up. Has a mute button on it, but that did nothing to quiet it. So I unscrewed the two screws holding it in the wall and clipped the wires, figuring it was bad. Came to this forum and found a thread about the exact make and model I have. It tells me that these should be replaced every 5 years. The date on mine says Nov 2004. So, ordered a replacement off of Amazon, and a new smoke/O2 sensor too. Can't be too careful these days. Thanks again to this forum.

17. LaneG

LaneG Member

Well the new Propane Gas Detector and O2/Smoke detector came this morning from Amazon so I figured it is a good day to install them since it isn't raining.

The smoke/O2 one was easy of course.

For the Propane one I ordered A MTI 30-442-P-WT since their website says; "Recommended replacement for most CCI Controls LP Gas Leak Detectors. No additional modifications needed." Which is what I had that went bad.

I guess mine wasn't a "most" model because the screw mounting holes were off by about 1/4" smaller. And there wasn't enough wood (particle board) there to drill another screw hole. So I had to mull it over a while. I'm a guy who can't throw anything away. So I've got stuff piled in a 40 ft cargo container next to my shop/garage. It took me about 5 minutes to find a piece of black painted aluminum sheet that was a good candidate for making a new panel hole. The outside dimensions worked as is, all I had to do is make a hole in the middle to mount the gas detector. So instead of a 10 minutes job to replace it, it ended up being about 1-1/2 hour one. It turned out OK. I made some labels for it for reminder to replace it in 5 years.
    GasD.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    momofEAP, jackquontee and Sjm9911 like this.
  18. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

New tires, Walmart junk didn’t make it 6 months:(

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

You are my kinda guy!

zak99b5 and LaneG like this.
  20. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Really? What brand? I had wallmart tires on the pup and now on the TT? Went many miles on them. Sorry to here that.