May 2020 - What did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, May 1, 2020.

1. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Not sure and they are gone now

2. gabe V

gabe V New Member

can anybody guess what i fabbed up pretty quick for my palomino yearling

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      85.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      102.8 KB
      Views:
  3. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member Diamond Supporting Member

I really like the practice of labeling things. I have a label maker and use it fairly frequently. I have a carbon monoxide detector that, unfortunately, I can't remember if I bought it 4 years ago when I bought the camper I have now, or 7 years ago when I bought my previous camper. I wish now I had labeled its purchase date when I bought it. Live and learn.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Most have the date on the back of them.

5. LaneG

LaneG Member

Labeling is so much easier. You see it readily. If it's hidden then it's out of mind, especially in my advancing years. o_O

momofEAP and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I installed a Micro-air EasyStart 364 on my A/C.
    It's hard to tell when the compressor starts now. It'll make the A/C start more reliably and not trip the breaker at my buddy's camp this summer. I only have a 15A outlet available. It's tripped a few times in the past.
    Install was a piece of cake and took the opportunity to clean out stuff from under the cover.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member Diamond Supporting Member

I thought so, too, and removed the back and checked, but didn't see anything that resembled a date.

8. Sjm9911

I would say its older then 7 years. I cant remember off the top of my head when they required the dates be put on them, but it was more then 7 years ago. Maybe closer to 10.

DiamondGirl and jackquontee like this.
  9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

This was one of those days when camper tasks all turned out to have glitches or be more difficult than expected.
    Courtenay installed the PWM speed controller on the Fantastic Fan he installed a couple of weeks ago. He had to do some modification of the fan frame, since the knob on the speed controller wasn't long enough to extend through the frame. He also had to reroute one of the power supply wires, because the fan hit it ever so slightly. Then, the old garnish from the other roof vent he was going to use proved to be the wrong shape, so he had to cut the new one. That took experimenting with a couple of different tools to see what worked best on the plastic.
    The fan and speed control are very nice and a huge improvement over the original, good thing, after all that.
    We replaced the power cord opening cover. I thought it would be simple, pull the old one off over the plug, put new on over the plug. Nope, too tight a fit without damaging it. Courtenay had to detach the power cord from the converter/power center to pull it out, feed it through the new cover, and reattach. That required working on his side on the floor.
    Installed the new door hold open, filled in a couple of the holes with what we used to call plastic wood. All nicely done - too short to clip onto the door, have no idea why we have one that's too short.
    Finally de-winterized and sanitized the water system, which is not that difficult, jut a little time consuming. The drill pump is misplaced, but I remembered that opening the low point drains and turning the pump on speeds up the process of draining the fresh tank. I used the same Thetford sanitizing product we've used for 5 years, in fact, same container we used last year. This year, I have foamy water, even after three rinses, although it is improving. I finally just filled the fresh tank again and will work on it again tomorrow. Since I don't want to fill the waste tanks, I am filling a bucket from the faucet and shower and taking it to dump in the yard. I got a good workout, three steps up, three steps down and however many # of water I filled the bucket with each time.
    I rinsed the hot water tank, that went just fine.

jackquontee and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. IdahoGuy

IdahoGuy New Member

Looks like a riser for a dexter axle?

11. gabe V

gabe V New Member

yep! everywhere i found kits , the mounting holes were in the wrong place compared to my camper. So I made some up . Not too hard but glad they are finishind

12. IdahoGuy

IdahoGuy New Member

Busy weekend. Put down a new floor and changed out the plumbing. We chose a peel and stick vinyl plank flooring. I've installed this before in a remodel, but this time we ran into an issue where the old adhesive wouldn't come up so I ended up having to use a multi-purpose floor adhesive. Really happy with the results. New plumbing also went in. I relocated some drains and added a filter and an accumulator to the pump. Next is painting the side walls, relocating the stereo, redoing a bit of wiring, testing the water system for leaks and then building the cabinets and countertops. DW is working on new curtains for the bunk ends and a new valance for around the top. Eventually, we'll be replacing the cushion covers as well. Goal right now is to have the popup usable by the beginning of July. Lofty goal, but I think we can get there.

Attached Files:

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Fantastic progress! I added one of those surge tanks to my rig as well. But you need to make sure the pre-charge pressure is 2 PSI below the pump turn-on pressure setting. Mine said it came pre-charged, but it was at 0 psi when I checked it.
    My pump was out of whack too. ON at 30 off at 35. But that's sorted now. Everything works a lot better.

Sjm9911 and IdahoGuy like this.
  14. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I watch the water runoff the camper when it was raining. Thinking about making some changes ... The water was running off the roof> hitting the bunk latch and then directly on the taillights. Its not leaking, but I am thinking about doing something about it. Watch the rain runoff and you can see where problems could arise.

kitphantom, Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  15. Sjm9911

Yup, i always wanted to do something with mine, same on the TT , but never do. Depending how close you are to level, the water runs a diffrent direction. Especially the ac runnoff. Worst was when i had it go to the front next to the door, lol , flooded out my outdoor set up.

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Success in ridding our plumbing of the foam issue. I ran as much of another (20 gallon) tank through the lines as I could, given that the intake is on the side of it, and in our driveway, it is tilted just enough so that that is exacerbated. By the last few buckets, there was no more foam. I hauled the buckets of water over to bushes and plants in our yard, which will appreciate it. For good measure, I connected the city water up, and ran several buckets through the system that way.
    The LED bulb in the bathroom fixture had a couple of emitters blinking yesterday, which is generally a sign of soon-to-be failure. Although they settled down after a couple of hours, the blinking is crazy making. I cannot figure out what bulb we put in this one, the only empty package I found in our box of bulbs doesn't seem to match. The fixture isn't very deep bulb wise, so I'm ordering some paddle bulbs, similar to what we put in the two outdoor fixtures.
    The new fan and speed control is great, even if it did take quite a while to install over two days.

DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

DH & DS built a stand for my Porta potti. I can place it over the table post bracket which is unused because we mainly eat outside. And puts the Porta potti at the right sitting height.

Stored the table top away and will use a lifetime 30” personal table from Sam’s club. It will mainly be used outside but can be used inside if needed during inclement weather for dinning purposes.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

James Rucker and Sjm9911 like this.
  18. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

(Yesterday) Decided it was time to get the camper uncoveraged, cleaned and inventoried, my old TV was blocking it...dead battery. Tried to jump, no luck. Pulled that battery and charged it overnight at the house.

(Today) Cleaned up the terminals and re-installed. Good to go, got the ol gal out of the way and got he camper pulled down to the house.

She survived the winter well, other than some ants...shop vac took care of them. Got to use my new BAL leveler, cleaned her up, inventoried and replaced all the things pulled for the winter. Added a new memory foam mattress topper...pretty comfy, aired up the tires, replaced the battery in the tile. Just need to add the propane and battery and ready to roll.

kitphantom, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  19. mk4

mk4 Member

Where do these go?

20. gabe V

gabe V New Member

the go between the torsion axel mounting plate and the mounting spot on the frame to give it a lift. Just knew I could fab some up.. My mounts are straight up and down so a little different but same concept

Attached Files: