May buy Viking this week- tips or concerns welcome

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Joemo, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Joemo

Joemo New Member

2008 Viking 1906 510 epic. Not sure if that's all necessary in the name.
    Never owned one, read the "what to look for" posts, but I'm cautious as Viking seems not as prevalent on boards and CL postings. Should I worry, is it really a Coleman in dicquise, is it the ugly ill behaved cousin to steer clear of?
    Once we hand over 4000 or so, I gotta love it, or act like I do. By the by, is that too high if in good condition, garage stored and well maintained? I did the NADA search and its in that ballpark. But is that reality pricing?
    Nervous Nelly asking for reassurance.

2. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

We love our viking. The 1906 looks a little small, but we are 4 and a dog. And we normally bring friends of the kids as well.

The roof is fiber glass and not the abs plastic you hear about with coleman.

HTH

FL Bill

3. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

I wouldn't be concerned about a Viking pup any more than any other brand. It all comes down to how it was maintained by the previous owners. Pop-ups are pretty much the same build wise and use the same parts etc. My previous pup was a 2000 Dutchmen. It was average as far as things go......no furnace, no electric brakes. But it was a great trailer. No complaints whatsoever. We had 7 great years of camping in all kinds of weather and never had a drop of rain get in. No matter what brand you purchase, just make sure you do a thorough inspection beforehand, especially the side and end boards of the roof. These are the areas most common for water intrusion/rot issues.

4. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

Viking is a reputable company, nothing fly by night or red-headed stepchild....
    Ya know, the owners manual is available right HERE on this very forum.... As well as the '08 sales brochure HERE... Check it out . [;)]
    Looks to be a decent floor plan on the 1906. Says the normal optional equipment is available such as a cassette toilet and furnace, but I am rather surprised the Refer is an option. Might want to make sure the one you are looking at has a "Fridge" or an "Ice Box".
    How many of you are there? The bunks are Full and Double, no Queen. So if you like to "spoon" your in like Flynn.

5. Joemo

Joemo New Member

You guys are great! Thanks for the feedback. We went, we saw, we may buy. It's in great shape. Stored inside the garage. Viking Epic 1906, 2008.
    Possible issues:
    1. Never winterized but no drippage or signs of weathering. Roof is clear of seal issues by appearance, and the undercarriage is still painted black and relatively road-wear free.
    2. The awning was a mystery as they had never used it. We pulled it out and it's still cean and solid. Just didn't figure out the 3 support posts.
    3. Tires are original but appear in good shape. Spare is never used. All 2008 vintage.
    4. The mattresses are paper thin. I hope to put the eggshell pads below, wonder if closing the top when stowing it may require we roll them up. It's a tight closure.
    5. A few rips in the plastic Windows. I read in one of these million posts that a special tape exists that really works well and doesn't get brittle or gooey over time. Any brain trust out there with this tid bit of trivia?
    6. The door wouldn't line up at the top and the owner then broke the plastic flip at the top that secures it in place. Two holes show this has occurred before. It was not level for the showing so my bet is the door wasn't closing properly as a result. In the door process, the tab at the bottom of the upper halve's frame side broke off. That's an issue as it doesn't hold in place on that mid point corner where top and bottom door halves connect. I couldn't tell if it requires an entire side replacement or a plug at the end.
    7. Last issue is its price. $4300. By review of national RV listings of similar small size (8'ft. Box, 12' closed tongue to bumper) it's over by about $800 -vs- dealer sales. The NADA supports the price less a few hundred for a few items.
    So, door repair, old but good tires, plastic window taping..?, and price. Am I nuts to press for a price reduction, or is it one worth jumping on? By the by, I'm 6'3' head and feet nearly touch sides when laying down. I assume this is expected in these units.
    Nervous Nelly again saying- jump in, or run away?
    Thanks for any tips.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Tear-aid, vinyl version seems to do well for many - we never had to use it on our vinyl windows, though, so can't comment from experience. (They make a fabric one too)
    http://www.amazon.com/Tear-Aid-Repair-Type-Vinyl-Kit/dp/B001DZDCNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450650919&sr=8-1&keywords=tear-aid\

2008 tires- replace no matter how great they look

Yes, touching canvas or close to it is to be expected if you're sleeping cross-wise (relative to the road). My 6' DH did touch canvas in our tiny first pup, and almost did in the slightly larger 8' box one.
    Search for Klennex or tissue box test to see how much space you have for new foam, memory or egg crate foam topper or foam underlay on the mattress.

7. Hoosier Daddy

Just my [2C]...
    Keep looking. Why would an 08 have cracked plastic windows?
    My 2000 were nice and soft still.
    Climate?

8. Joemo

Joemo New Member

Windows are still soft, just looks like it got caught in the closing of the trailer. I'm actually pleased with the rest of the windows condition. It's the overall cost and the few items as noted. I do heed your two cents. Worth throwing In. Thanks.

9. Stevo

Stevo New Member

We love our Viking legend. All pups have quarks. If it has a front storage check for soft spots in the front corners. Other than that its a great camper. I would also agree about replacing the tires.

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I would see if you can talk them down a few hundred or so. As it sounds like there are a few things that need to be fixed. If tires are original I would replace them even if tred looks good. If overall you like the trailer and feel comfortable except for the price try to see if they will budge on the price. Having cash in hand usually talks as well. Good luck.

11. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

Crank it up yourself. If it is hard to crank, don't accept any excuses about airconditioners or anything else. The lift systems are known for not beeing mounted wqell, which leads to misalignment, which leads to all sorts of issues. search the forums for "electric winch installed" to see what a mess it can be. I went through it myself. I still have the PUP (1996 model) but I sure wouldn't go through it again. By the way, Viking also made the Coachmen pups in the 90s.

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Price seems high for something with damage (window tears... you'll be looking at that tape every time) and possible winterization damage (if there's an electric pump, it could be damaged). You said the price is $800 above *dealer* pricing, but it's a private sale?

You also should replace the tires which will be $200 or so.

I think you're $800-$1K too high. I'd negotiate or walk.

For comparison we paid $3500 for our 2005 Palomino which is a 2' longer box, had brand new tires, and was in perfect condition other than a bit of repaired screen damage caused by a carpenter ant incident.

13. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Re: clear window repair tape- Frost king makes a clear uv resistant tape that is used on greenhouses. You should be able to easily find it. ( have not purchased in a while but it was in hardware type store.)

14. Joemo

Joemo New Member

Great news from the Newbee. Great price, fully covered price of bearing repack, split the cost of tires and I can manage the odd door issues and found the special tape to repair the plastic. I just winterized the pump and water system. The pump worked fine and with a bit of research found the drain **** at the bottom of the water container end its emptied. It's clean, roof is spotless as it was garaged and after a check with the tire shop, I have a good year or more to roll around. You all were very helpful in offering comments and advice. I had a solid set of concerns that when compared to the price brought us to a fair price. That and I had just looked at a 2011 Viking for $4,000. It was a rental and showed the wear. It did have a few nice aspects, but the 2008 was just better. So they beat the 2011'price and now were pop campers. Thanks gang. Joemo

Kimmykim1 likes this.
  15. Hoosier Daddy

CONGRATS!
    Glad you came to an agreement you are happy with, after all that is what counts.

Now, post up some pics if you can!

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new-to-pup.

Maybe we'll see you at the Colorado Rally in July (follow the link in my sig line, currently polling for site)

17. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

My Niagara has ABS without any issues... FYI [:)C]