Media Center in my camper

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by griffin55, Apr 21, 2014.

1. griffin55

griffin55 It always works sometimes

:)

2. stef234237

stef234237 Member

I'm a geek girl lol I put gps engines in tough books that didn't come with them and make them work. The kids have there laptops . I found a dvd tv combo at good will for 18 bucks. It was nice to watch the movie Gettysburg while we had down time there. It made the kids appreciate the trip and what they saw even more.

3. COdreaming

COdreaming New Member

Nice! Awfully tempting once I'm done building my Wi-Fi repeater with external antennae on my pup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Hutch85

Hutch85 Member

Nice write-up, thanks! Have been thinking of playing around with a Raspberry Pi, this might be the project to give me the initiative. :)

5. wraenking

wraenking New Member

I just use a western digital tvlive box with a usb stick. Hook to tv and have all the movies we need. I have it connected in the minivan now for trips. Very easy to setup and use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Indy

Indy Member

Help me understand. Not a techie. What's the benefit of this setup over using a tablet for streaming movies?

7. chrisxs5

chrisxs5 Test

In this case it can be setup for about 150 bucks or less vs the cost of a $400 laptop. Besides the "look what I did" bragging rights. Thats about it. Its cheap and can be left in the camper for future use.

8. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Do you always have a LAN at your camp site to stream movies with? Can't cat wire as tablets don't have a LAN port. I never do a LAN unless I set up the router to the external wifi antenna. Don't do that all to often as open wifi is more rare at typical camp spots.

There is a lot of ways to "skin a cat" here...get content onto a T.V. I used to simply employ a laptop via HDMI for my media center however, with limited interior trailer space and 120 volt power from my dual 6 volt batteries via a inverter, I found the laptop was just not as friendly or handy as this playing card size complete media center that runs XBMC. Also got tired of dragging the laptop out on trips. Didn't mind having my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 along as that was already up front in the truck dash running GPS. The Note is easy to toss around and I could stream from it if I had the LAN going I suppose...but why...Pi to the rescue!! [8D]

9. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

And that's just it...it lives in the camper, stuck on the back of the lil T.V. where the remote is velcroed too and it's one less thing I think about. I take a small flash drive in my pocket that I have been loading new content onto over time and its awesome, easy and just plain better than anything else this kid has used. (hee hee hee not to mention, it's phawkin kewl)

10. chrisxs5

chrisxs5 Test

[LOL] [LOL]

11. MsJayne

MsJayne Member

I received a Raspberry Pi for Christmas and have wanted to do something like this. We have a similar setup for home that uses the Pi as a media server. Works great! Now to build a small one for the camper!

12. chiefsou

chiefsou Member

When I first read the OP post I was like "whuut???" " I don't understand what the heck he's talking about." [?:~{] But then I went back and read it again, carefully, and things started to click. I've researched this Raspberry Pi thing and I think I get it now. I'm very excited to get one for our pup.

I have a few questions. I'm not a techie, just a mommy who's DD has autism and she needs her movies [{}=] or [SUN]! That's just the way it is! [A]

So....
    [list type=decimal]
    [*]What program can I use to rip DVDs to my laptop, which runs Windows7?
    [*]The OP listed using a 32GB USB Flash Drive. I saw on Best Buy that there is a 2.0 and a 3.0. Which one should I get?
    [*]How many DVDs can I rip into a 32GB Flash Drive?
    [/list]

Thank you all in advance! :)
    ~the chief's wife