Members or club in Iowa, can't seem to locate one?

JWeible

May 11, 2015
Our favorite is maqouketa Caves. We also like Pikes Peak and just got home from our first trip to Backbone, loved it there!

jackfrost

Mar 6, 2013
How do you like Thompson Causeway? I've looked at that as a possible for us. How are the bugs? Any recommendations on time of year, site location, etc.?
Very clean,if you can get a copy of the Army corps if engineers Mississippi guide to recreation. Information of Corps campground along the river. Thompson Causeway, the area we enjoy is Pothers No
How do you like Thompson Causeway? I've looked at that as a possible for us. How are the bugs? Any recommendations on time of year, site location, etc.

jackfrost

Mar 6, 2013
Sorry for the error. Pothers North is non reservable area. we were able to back up almost in the river, but all areas are very good.

HAWKEYE71

we love to camp
Dec 22, 2015
Welcome. I know there must be more fold downs in Iowa.. What areas do camp at?
hi,we enjoy camping.we camp mainly in state parks,in state and national parks, out state. Used to stay in route in Koa's but they are getting to expensive,on my retirement income!

Dback2k4

Jul 16, 2017
Davenport, Iowa
I'm also from the Quad Cities. I frequently go to Pleasant Creek State Park northwest of Cedar Rapids. Pleasant Creek is nice as there's a large lake for kayaking and a primitive (no hookups) campground loop segregated from the main loops that are full hookup. Each site is secluded amongst the prairie grass so some privacy and not right on top of one another.

I occasionally go to Backbone State Park near Strawberry Point, IA when visiting my grandparents. It's alright, no cell reception and the sites are tightly packed together. The lake is nice for kayaking as well.

Closer to home, I also go to Scott County Park and West Lake Park frequently. West Lake, obviously for kayaking, but Scott County Park is nice for primitive sites at the Wilderness and Sac Fox campgrounds.

I haven't been to Maquoketa Caves yet but it's on my list.

I've also looked into the Hawkeye Wildlife Management area for "getaway" locations since camping outside of established campgrounds is prohibited at the State Parks. Unfortunately there's only a couple of those around and they're better suited to tent campers than popups...

Djo

Feb 3, 2014
The Iowa DNR has suffered from huge budget cuts the last few years and the state parks are really suffering. Most of the counties, on the other hand, are funding their county parks quite well. As a rule I find them in much better shape than the state parks. This website gives pretty good access to county resources - https://www.mycountyparks.com/default.aspx
David