Memorial Day camping Ideas

Taxus812

Jun 1, 2010
It is a bit late but I was looking for Memeorial Day camping in the CT area that wont break the bank. The place I wanted was booked (prospect mountin and I am on a waitning list if there are cancleations)

I have two kids (age 7 and 8) and two greyhounds. I wanted to go somewhere that has things gong on (like a good parade). Figured CT, MA, RI and lower VT area

Any good ideas experiances ?

apachejeep

Feb 16, 2009
Santa Ynez, California
Memorial Day camping, are you kidding me. The roads will be jammed, the Campgrounds will be jammed.
Better I say, to camp locally, the kids won't know the difference how far you are from home. Its still an adventure to them.

DanMistyMiller

Apr 29, 2008
We have gone to Townsend, TN (Smoky Mountains) the last 8 or 10 years on Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day. We usually extend the 3 day into 5 or 6. We do so pool swimming, fishing, hiking, tubing, Hillbilly Golfing, etc.

benfrench

Woodbridge, VA
Jun 19, 2008
King George, VA
How old are your greyhounds? I have a greyhound as do my parents. We don't have any kids just the dog (he can be enough) What kind of Campground are you looking for?

Taxus812

Jun 1, 2010
Our boys are 7 and 8 now. We have had them a few years. I am looking for any local camping but need some sort of local memorial day activity for the kids.

cwolfman13

Super Active Member
Feb 9, 2011
Pretty tough on short notice for state parks and the like, I'd try to get on as many stand by/waiting lists as you can for areas that might be of interest to you. If you do find something, I hope you can tollerate the masses. Personally, I stear clear of developed CGs, state parks, recreational areas within spitting distance of major population centers, etc on holiday weekends. Heck....even some of my favorite boondocking sites near Albuquerque start to look like tent cities on holiday week,ends. I frequently camp on holiday weekends as I'm a working stiff and holiday weekends provide me with time to take more than a 1-2 night trip to the woods. I usually seek out an area that is little known, down some bumpy forest road and a good few hours from a major population center. That may be easier said than done on the east coast.

Good luck to you!