Memorial Day Weekend...Where is everyone camping?

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by jmcclung11, May 12, 2010.

1. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Well we did camp clean up at Tamworth Camping area in Tamworth, NH last weekend, this weekend we'll be doing the same at Whit's End CG in W Ossipee, NH, she will be working next weekend, and we haven't made any plans at all for Memorial Day Weekend. So I'm thinking we might just slip into one of out favorites from last year, Potters Place in Lebanon, ME. I'm sure we can get in last minute without a reservation, and it will be nice to see some of the regulars, and seasonal folks we met last year. I think if we have a chance we might try to sneak over to Bunganut CG about 15 miles away and check it out, for those who don't know that is where the Maine Popup Portal rally will be held, and we still haven't committed to it yet, so we'll see.
    http://tamworthcamping.com/
    http://www.whitsendcampground.com/index.htm
    http://www.pottersplacecampground.com/index.html
    http://www.bunganut.com/

2. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Basin Campground in the White Mountain national forest. We go every year, decent fishing in a mountain pond that is stocked with trout, nearby hiking and best of all they have flush toilets [LOL]

3. Gumbias

Gumbias New Member

Unfortunately I work every Memorial Day. We are going on the Maiden Voyage with the new pup next weekend though.

4. Camp Addict

Camp Addict Member

Hopefully, if all goes as planned, we will be on the Colorado River. I can't think of anything better than boondocking in the middle of nowhere.

5. Red Rebels

Red Rebels New Member

6. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

7. JT2

JT2 Member

We'll be at Lime Rock Park in NW Connecticut for the Rolex races. The Daytona 24 Hrs cars run on Monday. Woo-hoo!

JT

8. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

Ouabache State Park in Indiana along with some of our Great Lakes Pop Up Club friends. We like Ouabache for holidays since it's a smaller park to begin with and doesn't feel overly crowded even when it's full. We're going down on Thursday and make a nice extended weekend of it.

9. kentuckyrascal

kentuckyrascal Member

I normally don't do hoildays.... but if for some reason it DOESN'T rain that weekend I will be looking for a spot.

10. Vernon

Vernon New Member

Sweetwater Forest on Cape Cod!

11. KateTheKamper

KateTheKamper Member

Staying close to home and camping at Old Orchard CG on the beautiful AuSable River. It's a girls weekend. First trip of the season and I'm stoked! [8D]

12. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Lake Hudson Rec Area, A good 1/2 way point for Sweetie from Ft. Wayne and me from Metro Detroit. Semi primitive - (vault toilet no running water but electric if you have a really long cord) Kayaking, biking, reading [RTM], 'sleeping' [SNZ]. Both taking off Friday so we can have a four day weekend :)

13. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

We don't camp on holiday weekends.
    Most of the time we try to avoid regular weekends too. [:D]

14. eve104

eve104 Ol'Bessie

We are going to Ft Myers/Pine Island. Staying at a KOA. Its looks really big. have 3 little lakes and a pool. Plus they are going to be planning activities for the kiddos to kick off the summer season. We are excited. I ordered a prtable AC unit, it should be here by then as well as a BAL Level and gonna get new tires and wheels next week. I hope everyone has a great time while camping. [8D]

15. Wheat

Wheat New Member

No can do on holiday weekends. Too many drunks and people for my taste. Camp Backyard for me...

16. TheWunders

TheWunders Parkville, Maryland

Usually, we go to Cedarville State Forest in southern Maryland, but this year we not going because our younger son "teenager" graduates high school on Friday. :)

Also, since I'm starting a summer course this week I'll be studying and doing homework most of the weekend. [RTM]

17. candleems

candleems Member

We are headed to Fredericksburg, PA for a nice, non-alcoholic, 90-100 unit camping trip. Here's the details. May 28-31. details below:

It is held at a Fireman's Park in Fredericksburg, PA (Northern Lebanon Co). The camping club in charge is The Hershey Roamers. They are a small group, but work really hard at putting on a nice weekend. Other groups have run it over the years. The price really hasn't changed much since I was in high school for attending. Units are parked in the field. It is dry-camping. There are restrooms, but not real fancy, just flush toilets and running cold water for washing hands. There is a small playground, sandbox (which the kids practically live in all weekend), baseball field, band shell, and some outbuildings which the club running the show uses for a concession stand and raffle ticket booth. Really nice raffle prizes too, about 40 of them. Entertainment on Saturday and Sunday nights. One night entertainment is geared for the 30-50 age range, other night is for the 60 and above crowd. They try to please all. Sunday church service. They rig up a PA system so announcements can be heard by everyone.

Itinerary generally looks like this:
    Friday
    Registration, set up and hospitality at 8:30pm (generally cookies and punch/coffee). No entertainment on Friday.

When you send in your mail registration, if you want to camp with others, you either send them all at the same time, or put the group/club name that you'd like to be parked with. When you arrive, the registration family gives you a welcome packet full of freebies, a trash bag and event itinerary and your Chicken BBQ tickets if you ordered them. They will take you to your site/area if you are unfamiliar. They do generally put your group in the same spot every year unless you request somewhere else.

Saturday
    Registration for all games
    Games begin at 9:30 or so. Go all day. Generally volleyball competition is Sunday unless there are a lot of teams. In recent years it has not been a problem.
    7pm: Entertainment till 9:30 or 10 w/ a break for hospitality at 8:30.

The neighborhood across the street (about 80 homes, maybe less) do a big yard sale on Saturday. We normally walk over there to check it out. Sometimes the games start before we get back. Too much lolligagging on our parts [:D]

Sunday
    10am: Church service (You can smell the chicken BBQ all during the service as it cooks away. Yum!!)
    12 noon: Chicken BBQ is ready for lunch.
    1pm: Volleyball competition starts. Games from previous day are completed if necessary.
    2pm: Bingo in pavillion
    5pm: End of Raffle ticket buying.
    6pm: Raffle announcements (they've gone to drawing the tickets and taping them up on poster board and hanging them on one of the buildings. It's much faster than calling all the numbers).
    7pm: Entertainment till 10pm
    8:30pm: hospitality

Monday
    Pack up and go home.

Honey dipper available for a small fee on way out of park.
    Trash dumpster located behind the baseball back stop for putting trash bags. Hopefully they will have a recycle area soon.

We have a great time. I've been going to that campout since I was 4 or 5. We now camp with friends we met way back then. And I think (I hope anyway), that my DD has as much fun there as I always did.

If you are interested in camping with us, let me know. As soon as I get the registration form in the mail, I will scan it and forward it to anyone that wants to go.

18. RotHappens

RotHappens New Member

Camp Driveway! Woohoo! Can't wait to check out the pool! (I hear the showers are great, too!)

19. Cmprmom

Cmprmom New Member

Hi new here, I've been reading a lot of the post's and have gotten some great ideas thanks! We live in Fort Worth TX so we are doing our first camp out in our ntu pu at cedar hill state park about 45 min. away.

20. IGYPup

IGYPup New Member

We are taking our ,new to us, pup out for it's maiden voyage this memorial day weekend. Having just finished some major repairs, we are now filling the cabinets and other last minute touches.