Metal Detecting

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by popopK, Mar 22, 2016.

1. popopK

popopK New Member

Does anyone go metal detecting while you are camping? Do you have problems with permission to hunt areas public or private? Or do uou just hit the woods and go for it?
    Thanks
    popopK

2. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

I've seen several people out with metal detectors. Most have been near old ghost towns or along the lake shore but they're out there. I've thought about buying another detector but the DW and 3 dogs have no patience for me shooting grids. The state advocational history group recently finished looking for an old fort (late 1800s) long thought lost under I-25 but found near the campground to the west of the highway! I use to "bribe" property owners with "I'll help repair fences...." or other tasks if they would allow me to hunt for arrowheads on their property. Most said OK and a few politely declined. The answer is automatically "No" if you don't ask :)

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I used to dabble in that. The biggest problem anywhere but the beach was not detecting metal but digging it up.

4. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I just got my son a Bounty Hunter Jr MD for Christmas, it works but not that well... we found a couple bucks at the beach so far. I'll buy a better unit for myself soon...

5. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

What would that be?

I've been looking at the Garrett AT Pro; is that a good unit?

6. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

No clue yet... I'm on a facebook group for MD'ing, they have a lot of knowledge over there. There are also forums like this for it. It depends what and where you plan to hunt. I plan to do a lot of beach hunting, so some are better for wet sand than others... I don't know which to get yet, just that when I'm getting ready ti buy I'll ask them...