MI - Ludington SP

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by bols2Dawall, May 19, 2010.

1. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Hi all . I understand the kids get out of school in Michigan around the 11th of June ( slackers - LOL) . How hard do you think it would be for us to get a site on Tues. the 15 th.?
    Are there quite a few 1st come 1st serve sites ? If not could you recommend another CG that might have more 1st come sites . Thanks

2. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

MI State Parks operate on a reservation system. If you are talking about one or two nights midweek, mid June - you may not have a problem. If want to stay over the weekend, you are probably out of luck. MI reservation system does not show any openings for the weekend of June 18. And I don't think Ludington has any modern campsites that reserved for first come first serve campers. And Ludington is one of the most popular parks on the west coast of MI. They do have some hike in rustic sites and I don't know if those operate by reservation or not.

3. travler

travler New Member

Try midnrreservations.com this should help.

4. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

You might want to call the park directly to find out how many 1st come or local sale sites they have. The problem with the Mi. reservation system is that these local sale sites are simply listed as "not available" in the reservation system so there is no way of knowing if they are really available or not. They are just not available for reserving.

5. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

Which raises a great question Dave - Most of the parks I have been to don't keep any walk in sites off the system, but Van Buren SP does have a pretty good number of them and some of them are the best sites. Is there any listing of the parks that do and don't that you know of?

6. rocketspen

rocketspen New Member

Remembering back when I worked in Parks and Rec, most parks only reserve 90% of the sites. The rest are first come first serve. There is a two week max stay and then you can't come back for 5 days. The problem is if those 10% site fill up with walk-ins and it can be full for the whole two weeks. I worked Grand Haven MI, and they were pretty much full July and the beginning of August. I am not sure about Ludington. Calling ahead would not hurt, but there is still no guarantee especially given you distance. Another good park not too far is P.J. Hoffmaster in Muskegon, they usually have openings. It is the best SP in Western MI in my opinion. Good luck!

7. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Steve, You raise a great question. I have tried wading through the DNR website for information and it's like any government site, way too much information with no good way of finding it. I can use one example because I went and checked it out personally, Pinckney Bruin Lake campground has 40 local sites out of 184 that are listed as unavailable in the reservation system. These include most of the sites directly on the water and along the woods in back. I got this information off of the campground map provided at the park. I have not found the information anywhere online. Example site numbers are 101,103, 144, 146, 148, 150, 152, 154, 156, 158, 160, 162. All listed on the map as local sale sites.
    This is over 20% of all sites in the modern area. I have no clue as to what the percentages are in other parks.
    This link has some interesting facts and figures for Michigan Parks. Check out page 23.
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/IC1999_2008-2012_SCORP_224981_7.pdf