Mice are the worsssttt....

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Jeepguy93, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Active Member

Ive discovered that all my campers have had mice damage. My Shenandoah is completely ruined, my sun valley is repairable. Mean while my Jayco which "had" a pretty sweet original canvas now has a large hole in the screening. Im glad it wasnt the other way around [V] I took some pictures along with my repair process in case anyone is dealing with the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After cleaning and sanitizing and cleaning again it dried it in the sun

[​IMG]

I covered each hole with wax paper, drew how I wanted the patch. Transferred that to the cloth canvas. I used TEAR MENDER for the adhesive. I really like this stuff. I got both touching surfaced wet with tear mender. For 45-60 sec or so I lightly worked the glued surfaced into each other. After doing that, I covered with a book and stood on it for 2 min. Once the canvas was back up I recoated with 303 fabric guard. good to go!!
    [​IMG]

5 patches in this picture the 1 on the bunk end.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

What a bummer! Nice repairs though, hats off! We have mice AND pack rats here. The pack rats for us are MUCH worse. They surely are the spawn of the devil. A few years back I went on the offense however, between live cage traps, strychnine bait in all the key runways and a scoped pellet rifle, I've beat them back but its something I must religiously keep up with or..."they're baaaaaack".

3. Aunt Ness

Aunt Ness Member

Oh my. So sorry, that is my worst fear.

4. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

WOW, that is a lot of damage. Nice job fixing it though.

I always fear getting mice and load my trailer with moth balls, not sure if it is just dumb luck or coincidence but they have seemed to work so far.

5. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Active Member

Im dreading next spring now hahah. I used a can of foam and filled any holes. I swear they get in my frame and climb the lift post cables.

6. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

Kind of related to your issue. I had roof rot in the corners and it got to the canvas. I sewed canvas in. Worked well for several years before I put that Cobra Flagstaff to rest.

[​IMG]

Phoodieman

7. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

I have the Fresh-cab and sticky traps everywhere in mine since I got the new canvas a year ago. The old canvas was heavily damaged by mice. I feel for you. It's like a like a carnival of mishaps trying to re-open the pop-up now. I always forget a couple and come out with sticky traps on my shoes or pant legs.

8. utah steve

utah steve New Member

Great idea using wax paper.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

9. sdn40

sdn40 Member

Tear Mender is magical.

10. jschway

jschway Member

Wow great work on the repair job! Sooo... how does one keep mice out of camper?

2007 Palimno Yearling 4125
    2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
    2004 Ford Expedition

11. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Active Member

An act of god hahahah I will take the canvas off my campers at the end of every season from now on. I wont take any chances. It takes like 30 min to remove them well worth the no stressing over the winter...

12. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Excellent job on the patching, I must say. They really did some damage, I feel fortunate that mine was nowhere near that bad when we got it. Well they ate most of the interior valence, but that was pretty ugly anyway, to be perfectly honest. [:D]

13. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Active Member

Thank you! I have this weird thing for Original equipment, so I wanna keep the original canvas as long as possible. But I understand what you mean by the ugly colors haha. When I finally get a new canvas I will update the interior to modern colors. I have had it setup for 4 weeks straight now with rain almost everyday and not one leak. Thanks to 303 fabric guard. I think I figured out where they got in. Behind my spare tire there are 2 holes for the mounting bracket. I took out the converter directly on the other side.... what do you know nest material. Cleaned and covered the holes. However I WILL remove the canvas at the end of the season on the campers.

14. DCL_CT

DCL_CT Member

You have my sympathy. I had mice over the winter as well, although only two 1 1/2" holes and a ruined curtain. Looks like you're pretty adept at repairing the canvas, though.

15. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Active Member

Thanks, my other camper I had to throw the entire canvas out it was so bad. [V] I wasnt very happy about that. I would have to say the ate 25% of it lol. Ive been on a mission to figure out how they got in. Ive narrowed it down to the front cover frame cutouts, the foam is deteriorated on both my colemans. Ill have to order a canvas over the winter for it.

16. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

Looks good.

Check your wheel wells, on mine there is a piece of foam glued between the wall and plastic wheel well but had what looked liked mouse holes through it. I found a nest next to the converter on mine as well when I first got it and was checking things out. I caulked up between the front panel and where the frame goes though, and same thing with the rear panel and bumper. If you just have the bumper caps, they can be removed and then caulked up around the frame and panel. Mice are the worse!