mice in the PUP: an interesting solution

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Hanne, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Hanne

Hanne New Member

2. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

A good idea and makes sense to me. Easy to make too. Seems like a good alternative if your storage is not in a heavy use area. Wonder if you could just take a 50' roll of alum. flashing and run it around the perimeter. Just roll it up when you're done if you just need it over the Winter.

3. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

We are using an electric repellant with success, for the second year. I was just out to check the power to the pup and thought about how it would be nice not to need to go out in the cold to check the power. I checked it right now because there is snow in the forecast. Then I got to thinking the wall would not be a deterrent if it is snow covered. I'll have to think about that.

I was thinking of flashing also. I bookmarked the link, thinking I'll take another look when I have time.

4. MIKE5208

MIKE5208 New Member

what a good idea. Last fall i raised my camper to find that mice had done major damage to three sections of my canvas. I just put it down and had to walk away for a while [:(]. I ve since patched most of the holes until i can afford new sections of canvas so i can get some camping in this year. I thought of taking my canvas out every year and putting it in mouse pruff containers but i'm going to give this a try. thanks for the information!

5. Alberto

Alberto New Member

I found that bounce sheets for the dryer works good,place them through out the pop bunks,floor,in cupboards everywhere and the good thing is the pop will smell good.

6. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

http://www.ratmousezapper.com/_inv/zapper_2000.html

That's been my solution to mice for many years now. The flashing idea is great and I may consider doing something like that. But mice are remarkably tenacious and will bypass everything you try if they want to. This makes sure that if they do get inside they will likely be dispatched before any major damage takes place. I leave one of these right inside the camper when it's closed up.

7. rms62003

rms62003 New Member

Man, this is news to me. I have a new Flagstaff this year, and am going to winter it in the garage. Being in farm country, we have mice galore. How in the world do the little critters get in a camper that is locked up tight?

Although the mice haven't bothered my car, I'll probably invest in an electronic repeller device for this winter.

8. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

I've been using this stuff for years and have had good luck.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mouse-Away-Concentrate-2-oz/dp/B000BBSO10
    The corral is a good idea, but I park my camper on gravel. They can dig under it. Still a good idea. I'd probably have to dig a channel around the pup, then put the corral down. Someting to think about.....I might put concrete under the carport where my pup is. It's on my to do list anyway.

9. MnCamper

MnCamper New Member

If you ever find any holes in the camper use steel wool shoved in the holes, I work in Pest Control and they will not tunnel/chew through steel wool.