Mice repellents

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Krazyk1879, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Krazyk1879

Krazyk1879 New Member

what is a good repellent iv heard that Irish spring bar soap is good what do u think or use

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Snake

3. Krazyk1879

Krazyk1879 New Member

Man wasn’t talk about snakes but them too I was more talking about mice and such

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

To heck with repelling. I eliminate. I keep a snap trap or two in the area to test the waters and keep poison bait block enclosures close by to knock them out before they make home in the trailer. I just checked my enclosures this week. Mice have been nibbling on the blocks lately.

Last year, I wasn't as vigilant. I used my TT Labor Day. Two weeks later, I checked it and found thousands of poke berry seeds in nooks and crannies. A field mouse was storing in the TT, but not living there. He got the snap trap.

5. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I've been using Fresh Cab packets in our pup for the last three years, our pup is parked in what is essentially a pasture. No mice in 3 years, either the stuff works, or I've been incredibly lucky, I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    jackquontee, Rik Peery and kcsa75 like this.
  6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Mice will eat the Irish Spring.

Fresh Cab is the way to go. We've been using it for years and it works like a champ.

HappyTraveler and Rik Peery like this.
  7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mice like Irish Spring soap. With it they will have clean teeth and fresh breath

HappyTraveler, kcsa75 and Rik Peery like this.
  8. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Semi wild cat roaming the ridge perimeter, does a number on 'em, any that make it near the house i have bait blocks & snap traps in likely avenues of approach, Fresh Cab in a storage area built into the house as well as the camper; as mentioned, I've seen pics of rodent chewed soap...***Gonna try some peppermint oil as an experiment this year in the storage area as well...

9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Proof mice eat Irish Spring:
    Irish Spring.jpg
    The above bar of soap was found at my mother's house last year next to the mouse traps.

Best deterrent that I have found is peppermint oil. I use a small bowl containing about 10 cotton balls. Add approximately 10 drops of peppermint oil (NOT extract, must be oil). reload the cotton balls every month or so if possible.

This video convinced me:

Rik Peery likes this.
  10. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

11. Rik Peery

[LOL][LOL] be my luck I'd zap myself lol...gonna use the peppermint oil the wife has along w/ Fresh Cab, worked great last year...

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I was informed by my electrician, the bottom plate would require insulators... fwiw [:D]

13. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

Moth balls. In a mesh bag and you may need two or three bags depending on how big an area. Never had an issue either with snowmobile stored outside or our full sized camper.

14. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

The metal plate does not need insulators…. its connected to the neutral wire and to the ground wire. I do have issues that you can kill anything that touches that Black wire, your kid, your dog or cat and etc. I would never use a death trap.

15. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I hate the smell of mothballs, and have seen that debunked on youtube as well. Man those things stink, and the smell never seems to go away. I would rather have the mint oil smell all summer long.

Heres a blurb that I have posted many times before, I'll post it again, this works for me.....
    As I have said many times before, seal up all entry points and you don’t have to worry. A few years ago, on a warm sunny day, I laid underneath the Pup with a caulking gun of silicone and a bright light. I spent an hour under there looking at every corner, seam, area where a wire or propane line goes through the floor, and every place else that looked suspicious. Also around the plastic inner fenders and such. I pumped every opening full of silicone, including even the smallest cracks just to make sure.

I have screens behind my fridge vents to keep bees (and mice) out. I made a cover that very easily goes on over the furnace exhaust, again for the bees.

I also make sure that the seal between the roof and the top of the walls contacts snugly all the way around when the roof is closed.

When I park it for the winter, I take out all food, and vacuum the corners and under the dinette seats. I do nothing more. No dryer sheets, No mothballs, No Irish Spring soap (none of those work anyway, youtube is full of people debunking them), No traps inside, No glue boards inside, No nothing. It’s best to keep the mice out in the first place. Mice aren’t a concern for me at all. I live in a country setting where mice run around here all year long. I do have unbaited snap traps set up at strategic spots around my property. I don’t want to attract mice to those areas, so the traps are unbaited. If a mouse runs behind an area where a trap is, he’ll run right into it. That’s the first line of defence. I know that others have continuously struggled with mice over the years, but so far so good for me, (10 years so far), (knock on wood).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  16. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

You can prove anything on You Tube, remember Myth Busters? I have used moth balls for years and so has my son after having his new truck ravaged (he lives in farm country) and never had an issue afterward. I did also use De Con, traps and sticky traps in our permanent 42 foot camper at the lake,

Ladiesman likes this.
  17. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

If moth balls repelled mice, you would think they would be called mouse balls....lol

18. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

All I can tell you is this, when I started putting moth balls under the hood of my snowmobiles over the summer I had no more mouse chewing wires. Same on my RV's where there is wiring. Do what you want.

https://insectcop.net/do-mothballs-keep-mice-away/

19. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

If you want to use mothballs inside your Pup, go for it, don't let me convince you different, I'm just giving my 2 cents. I for one can't stand the smell of them, (maybe I'm a mouse), but I remember when I was a kid, all old people's clothing smelled like mothballs. I hated it. I don't want to smell that stuff all night long while lying in bed. You might think that you get the smell out, but I can guarantee you that on a super hot humid day, with the sun beating down on the Pup, the smell of mothballs will rear it's ugly head. I would rather keep them out physically with barricades, rather than hoping they stay out because of a smell to deter them.

HappyTraveler and neighbormike like this.
  20. Rik Peery

Lol, for dang sure true, as a kid in the 50s, seemed everybody had a cedar chest fill w/ mothballs & mothball products; aunt had some type of hanger w/ a pocket in a closet that you could put a MB disk in, reminded me of one of those round "pi$$ cakes" they put in public urinals years ago...Mom put wool stuff in a heavy plastic garment zippered bag & used cedar blocks & put 'em in a cedar wardrobe & chests instead of using mothballs, never did thank her for that...I do use 'em in old cut off nylon stockings for the lawn tractor under the hood & snowblower cover, so far so good...