Michigan and Firewood, whats the latest?

Discussion in 'Campfires and Firewood' started by ArcticCat, May 19, 2010.

1. ArcticCat

ArcticCat Camping is Living!

I know for a fact that taking firewood north of the bridge is flat out a no no...

But how are the State campgrounds in the mitten treating the emerald ash borer... I know that didn't want the wood transported across county lines and such when it was first introduced, but what about lately?

I'd like to purchase a face cord of wood and take some with me on each trip. Is this going to fly? I just hate to spend $5 for a small armload of wood that lasts all of 2 hours...

Thanks,

Ken

2. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

I would call the camp ground you are going to. I recently Called the CG where we are having the Wisconsin Rally here's the link for the rally

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=32947.0

When I spoke to the lady at the CG asking about bringing firewood in she told me it was fine as long as you weren't reselling it.

As for the 5.00 bundles...sometimes lasting 2 hours is stretching it unless you are considering the coals that are left [V]

3. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

It was interesting that I had not seen one hint of an emerald ash borer problem in Texas before my last camping trip. We have not had any restrictions on transporting firewood, and no one has said one thing about an emerald ash borer problem here. However, I camped out the first week of May, and while I was out in the woods I came across a number of purple box like things hanging in the trees. These were large “glue boards”. Finally, I had to know what was up and I made my way over to one and it had a tag on it stating that it had been put there by the US Forest Service and it was there as a test for emerald ash borer.

4. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

The EAB is just making its' way into north east Iowa. This past weekend, I witnessed the Iowa DNR fining a large number of Wisconsin equestrian campers who had brought wood across the state line. They also confiscated and burned all the wood. I don't know how much the fine was.

5. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

I think the campers were capable of burning the wood themselves and I don't think the campers should have been fined. Just my [2C]

6. travler

travler New Member

According to the Michigan DNR there is still a firewood quarantine here in Michigan. The quarantine states that it is illegal to move any ash trees or ash wood larger than 1" diameter out of these 6 counties... Livingston,Macomb,Oakland,Washtenaw,Monroe,and Wayne..It also states if you have brought firewood from home to burn it ,do not take it home or leave it.

7. KateTheKamper

KateTheKamper Member

More from the Michigan Dept of Agriculture:

"Buy firewood when you reach your destination and burn it all on site". It is legal to sell firewood in Michigan, however it is illegal to transport hardwood firewood in violation of the MDA Quarantine. To protect against further spread of the Emerald Ash Borer, as well as other forest pests such as Oak Wilt and Beech bark disease, the MDA does not recommend that anyone move firewood out of their county. Purchase firewood local to the area where you will be using it. "

8. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Member

9. Aladin Sane

The intent of the DNR in confiscating and burning the wood was to kill any EAB larvae that may have been in the illegally transported wood before they had a chance to spread. The campers would have burned this wood over the course of several days, or even longer. I am curious as to why you think the campers should not have been fined. They clearly where breaking the law.

I have approximately 1000 ash trees located in NW Iowa. I want the spread of the EAB slowed as much as possible. The longer it takes to reach my tree farm, the better the defense that can be developed.

10. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

Aladin, Thanks for bringing my misguided and also not thought out post.

You're right they did violate the law.

11. Aladin Sane

It wasn't my intent to pick on you. I just wondered what point of view you held that would have made the confiscation and fine unwarranted.

12. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

Aladin,
    I didn't consider for a second that I was being picked on. If I make an error in judgement I would hope to be called on it and either defend my position or admit I was wrong.

My original thought was more of a knee jerk reaction as I felt/feel most campers to not set out to break laws and may have brought firewood without even giving the law a thought. Having said that, not thinking about the law or not knowing the law does not excuse someone from breaking it.

I probably also thought that the wood was confiscated and hauled away and then not burned immediately which would defeat the purpose of confiscating it in the first place.

13. Aladin Sane

No problem barb/dave. BTW, the wood was thrown in a big pile, doused with gas and set ablaze right in the middle of the campground as soon as it was found. It burned all afternoon and into the night.