Microwave or toaster oven?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by chof2018, May 4, 2020.

Microwave or toaster oven

1. Microwave

25 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Toaster oven

27 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

That is what the toaster is for..

2. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

NEITHER-- like spouses, they work great when new, then over time they wear out & you have to replace them...the wife will never see this post...

PaThacker likes this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

It depends.
    If not built in, I'd go with the toaster oven, because it's lighter and a bit more flexible. We took one a few times in the pups and TT, though with the space we've had in our pups (6' & 8') and 17' TT, finding space inside to use it was interesting. We still have one we can take, but space to transport it, as well as using it, lowers it on the priority list.
    Our TT came with some standard options, including the microwave, which had been on our "don't want" list. However, it has proven very handy, especially for overnight stops and my solo trips; we take meals we've cooked at home so can just zap those. Because it's built in, it acts as a storage space for some light items when not it use.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

We had brought neither until the last 3 years or so. My wife has decided that she wanted to bring along a toaster oven to bake cakes .... yes, cakes, while camping. Far be it for me to complain about having a freshly baked cake or cinnamon rolls while camping. Also can do hashbrowns, muffins, pizza, (especially if its raining). My sister has started bringing one along for them as well. She was just taking cake mixes along, but now measures and mixes all of the dry ingredients into a mason jar at home and only has to throw an egg and milk into it at the campsite. We always camp on or around my birthday. Here's my birthday cake last year. Hehehe!

20180730_213414.jpg

FARfetched, 1380ken, momofEAP and 3 others like this.
  5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

The toaster oven we've taken isn't really large enough to bake a cake or muffins, etc.
    I bought an Omnia Oven last year, so I can bake inside if I want, unlike the Outback Oven we used for years and the Coleman oven. It is used a lot in the boating and van camper communities. We don't bake a lot anymore camping, and I want to do a bit more, so need to practice with the Omnia, and maybe Coleman. The nice thing with these over a toaster oven is we can use them when dry camping, which is usually the majority of the time.

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

1976, mom gets microwave, Dad, sis and I make 3 layer cake in minutes!

I vote microwave, toaster ovens seem to get too hot, someone just offered me one, "you could cook bacon on top", me: why would I want one, I barely use the oven unless the furnace is already on.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

WOW, dude. I hope for your sake, she never does. [LOL][LOL][LOL]
    Of course I introduce my wife as "my first wife" when meeting new people.

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Nope, in fact our toaster oven has a rounded pop out in the rear to accommodate a pizza and two shelves inside. Normal sized microwave, too.

Not the best photo, but the most recent one I have that sort of shows our kitchen set up. The appliances are on a shelf to the right. The wire baskets hold dry food. The microwave is on the bottom. You can see the handle of the toaster/convection oven sticking out on the middle shelf, and the knobs, but hard to see the size from pic.

Sink is to the left of appliances and has a vanity made that swings down above it with a couple smalls shelves, mirror, and paper towel holder. No real counter space to speak of unless I put the cutting board top over the sink, which I store behind it when not in use. Don't need it often.

I use the top shelf for dry food and/or dish drying rack, but usually remove everything when the toaster oven is in use due to the heat rising from it.

We have two TVs (a big one and personal size one with built in DVD and a separate dvd player for the larger tv) stored in the lowest cabinet under where the fridge is on the counter. On trips we need it, the tv sits on top the fridge.

This particular trip, we were camping at Disney, as you can see by the Magic band on my son's arm. LOL. Even though they have cable, which our camper is wired for, we didn't spend enough time in the camper to bring the tv out.

The top drawer under the fridge is full of clothing, as well as containers under the bench seats. We have more than enough storage, even with a bathroom, no slide out and a 10' box. As you can see, we even have a couple junk counters. One on each side of the door where my son is standing.

I will never buy anything bigger, God willing. I love our little pup and it has plenty of space. We have had 7 of us spend a week at the beach before and had a great time! Three were children. During that trip, the top shelf of the appliance shelves held the crock pot, which made our supper most days while we were away at the beach.

Also, not the "too fat for our dinette" mod, that was my own original invention. There is a thread on it here on the portal. It makes a huge difference in the usability of the dinette.
    20191201_213332 (2).jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

10. Orchid

Pommom70 and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I have both, oven for solo trips and microwave for guests. Solo I am less likely to have a fire so I can bring mini pizzas and things like that.
    With company I’m more likely to reheat left overs.

12. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

we camp with both, but if forced to choose, toaster oven.

1380ken likes this.
  13. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

The new pup has a built in microwave AND an oven. I'm looking forward to microwave popcorn for a snack. The kids are insistent on fresh chocolate chip cookies out of the oven. Too much luxury, I may have to go back to a tent for awhile.

Natureangel likes this.
  14. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

I had to vote microwave, simply because our PUP has one built in. We've decided our camping style for this time of life (kids, weekend trips) is to use what's built in. I have used it a few times to warm things up. If it weren't built in, I definitely wouldn't bring one along. Later when we are rving for longer times, I definitely want a toaster oven. We have one at home and use it often!

15. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

The cake in the picture is from an 8" pan. The pan just barely fits into the oven. Good thing the question wasn't about an Easy Bake Oven. My Mom-in-law still has my wife's from the mid-60's. I'll need to start dragging that thing along too.

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  16. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

You haven't lived til you've almost died [8D]...if I'm not on here next week, you'll know she saw it lol...microwave came w/ the teardrop, a sack of Jolly Time will keep her calm...

17. Sjm9911

Hope so, or it will be a sack of money in the divorce!

Rik Peery likes this.
  18. Orchid

Toaster oven does get hot on top, but does not heat up the environment. I only remove things on the shelf directly above it. A gas oven or stove heats up the camper like crazy, which is why we will never use our indoor stove. I suppose it has something to do with gas having a flame. The difference in gas and electric is night and day as far as putting off heat.

We live in Florida and it's almost always a/c weather. If anything heated up the inside of the pup, we definitely would not use it. Even one burner on our stove canceled out the coolness of the a/c. We just decided to use outdoor stove only.

Pommom70 likes this.
  19. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

For those who like pizza - no microwave or toaster needed.

Get a lidded frying pan to fit the pizza. Put pan on stovetop. Add some olive oil to the pan and place the pizza in the pan. Cover with lid and heat until cheese is melted and crust is your preferred "doneness". Works great for reheating the pizza too!

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  20. Sjm9911

Guy at work does this with freshly made pizza. How can you make greasy pizza worse? Answer fry it in butter on the stovetop. Lol.