Microwave, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by GWolfe, Jul 5, 2010.

1. GWolfe

GWolfe New Member

So I have this microwave that I was thinking about putting in the pup.

[​IMG]

I have two options, the 1st would be where the icebox was under the sink.

[​IMG]

I know the concerns with it being under the sink where water flows and all, I am also concerned with all of the weight being on that side of the trailer. The water tank, electric cord and converter, and the stove are all on that side all ready. The stove could be moved as it is stored under the dinette.

The 2nd option would be just inside the door on the right.

[​IMG]

This would be nice as most of the cooking we do is outside and this would be an easy reach inside the door. It would also put some weight on the side of the trailer opposite of all of the other stuff. There would be a bit more modification needed here as the cabinet would need to be cut and braced.

Electric is not a problem in either location. I don't think the tongue weight would be affected to much with the microwave at the back (opt1).

What would y'all do? Would you even use a microwave? We have a pretty even split between camping with electric and without.

I took the ice box out because we have never used it, I plan on adding some shelves in the spot with one of those elastic net things hooked across the front. That is if the microwave doesn't end up there.

2. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Even though we have a lot of conveniences (electric coffee pot, electric griddle), I don't think we would take a microwave camping. Just no need for us. We cook with charcoal and DO and use the griddle for eggs and bacon. All we ever use the inside stove for is for heating up veggies (seldom). So, a microwave taking up valuable space in the pup would be a waste for us. Just my [2C]

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We take our microwave, but is not built in, just sits on the counter.

4. GWolfe

GWolfe New Member

I have been giving that a lot of thought Nascar Fan. With just the two of us camping most of the time we never seem to use up the space we have. I wonder how much it would really get used if it was in there.

I'm really just looking for little projects to keep me close to the PUP.

5. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

We just store it on the floor and then set it on the counter. Usually use it for lunchtime leftovers. We also have more than enough space but if we were limited, the microwave would be one of the first items on the list to be left at home.
    [​IMG]

6. bjjohnstone

bjjohnstone New Member

We also store ours on the floor for traveling and set it on the counter at the campsite. Works good for the two of us, and we have plenty of space for it.

7. GWolfe

GWolfe New Member

We had thought about storing it on the floor but our counter top space is whats limited so building it in would free up that space.

I do like the shelf idea that RhinoDave pictured, hmmm.

8. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I like option 2. I've had shore power on the last 3 trips and I love having the micro.
    The weather was cool and we used it more than I thought I would.
    Great for tea, coffee, soup, etc.

9. upflying

upflying New Member

+2, microwave while camping is a necessity. Fast, easy, clean food heating, more time enjoying camping and less time in the kitchen.

10. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

I don't bring a microwave but i can REALLY appreciate wanting some mods to keep you in the pup. Both locations are on or near the floor so no difference there. I'd put it by the door, gives you the option of just reaching in from outside quickly if needed. It also solves your worries about weight etc..., and if you ever decide to put a fridge in, dorm, or 3-way, you've already got the cut-out.

Good luck and post picks

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

I agree with Raycfe and RhinoDave. We take one that was in storage and the display doesn't work anymore. But if push came to shove, I would leave it. We just put it on the counter and use it. I wouldn't permanently mount it.

12. ballard

ballard New Member

By the door without a doubt. I definitely will use my microwave (never had one camping but just purchased one). I also got a cheapo inverter that should work with it....When I camp we usually have a few special meals and the rest are simple camping staples that are light, easy, and filling. The microwave is really good for crappy food like that. Uses?...tea, popcorn, crappy microwave kids mac n cheese, soup, minute rice. Come to think of it, even if I'm throwing steaks on the grill, I think with a microwave I can precook a potato in about ten minutes wrap it in foil and throw it in the coals of the fire and have an awesome baked potato in short time. I'll admit, it certainly bastardizes camping a bit but from where I stand, I did the "roughing it" thing as a kid with my folks and also as a bachelor in the pacific northwest. Now, with a family of five and in my forties I say, "Why not a microwave right at the door." Couldn't be handier.

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I would never bring a microwave camping. Beyond that, you don't want to cook in the PUP in bear country.

14. JoeCamper

JoeCamper Eastern, Pennsylvania

we had an extra microwave that we hauled for a dozen trips and never used it. i put it on the shelf in the garage and only bring it to the big rally trips.

15. Rustyk

Rustyk New Member

We have a microwave and we use it outside on a table.

16. GWolfe

GWolfe New Member

I'm thinking by the door is where it is going to go. I'm going get things together this week and work on it next weekend. I'll post some pics here then.

Thanks for the replies.

17. ballard

ballard New Member

I couldn't agree with this statement more.

Apparently you wouldn't want anyone to even eat a small snack inside the pup in bear country and things like sinks and such should be pulled out.

We've had black bears around the pup at night in the past but since we don't have any grizzly's, I've never taken it too seriously but then last week I saw in the news that someone was attacked and killed by a black bear........

Now you have me thinking that I shouldn't have the microwave.....I've already removed the sink and stove.

18. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

We have a small green microwave that we take....the DW noticed it in her friends closet and made a comment about being such a small microwave. Called a Cube and is about 1ft square. She gave it to the DW for the camper as she was not using it. Like you...we put a rug down on the floor and just set the microwave on it when traveling. The rug has a rubber backing so the microwave does not slide all around when traveling. At the site we just set it on the counter. We basically use if to make pop-corn or to re heat left over hotdog or hamburger for late night snack.

19. spotfan

spotfan Virginia

I also like the idea of having it permanantly installed. I would go with #2. I have a small microwave we bought for $10 for our pup...we usually work the Va. State Fair and take our pup to sleep in. The microwave comes in handy when we usually get to the camper late on the first night there and just microwave us a dinner before bed. It also gets used for reheating when camping.

20. reidsd

reidsd Kelowna, B.C.

I guess I would put it in storage by the door. I wouldn't permanently install it but place it on the counter or on an outdoor table when camping. When travelling, it would be nice to be able to get at it to quickly heat up lunch or a snack. When in storage, remember that you can actually store things in the empty microwave so it may not take up too much space. Now realize that these comments come from someone who hasn't and likely won't take a microwave with them in the PU. So far, all the provincial and state parks that we have visited have not had electrical hook ups and I really don't want to drain my battery making microwave popcorn. With the inside/outside two burner stove and the RVQ, I can make just about anything I want without a toaster, microwave or other electrical device. If I know that I will have an electrical hook up and will be at the site for more than a day or two, I guess I will consider it, but that opportunity has yet to occur.

Scott