Mid Sized SUVs With 6 Cylinders

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by rcpopup, Dec 23, 2020.

1. seano3ca

seano3ca No. Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Honda Pilot? not cheap where I live, but checks the other boxes.

rcpopup likes this.
  2. rcpopup

rcpopup Member

Deleted

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  3. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

Usually AWD will lower the amount your vehicle can haul, not increase it, because of the added weight and drivetrain losses. Not sure how Kia managed this feat.

If you really want to tow without worries, get a body--on-frame truck like a Tahoe or Suburban. You won't have to worry about the weight of any pop up and gear as you'll be under the limits no matter what, and these vehicles were designed to tow. Even the tranny has a tow/haul mode, and it's pre wired for a brake controller. The right tool for the job. That said, you can get by with a lesser tow vehicle of course. But with a full-size ute you won't have to give it a second thought.

rcpopup likes this.
  4. rcpopup

rcpopup Member

Thanks for the reply. Have found very attractive prices and strangely low mileage for 2017 Kia Sorento models. How has your experience been with it?

Andy G. likes this.
  5. rcpopup

rcpopup Member

A little too expensive but certainly a very good reputation.

6. davekro

davekro Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I like it a lot. The driving comfort, the bells and whistles (SX w/ Tech Pkg.) I do have one significant problem develop. The EPB (electronic parking brake stuck on and I was not able to trace the problem (yet). I found a small amount of discussion about the issue, but no one has come back to say what the fix was. If it was the WAY more popular and plentiful Ford or GM Brands there would be Tons of forums and YouTubes to learn from. I have not wanted to spend big bucks going to a dealership (not in warranty) and not inconvenienced enough to buy an $800 EPB actuator ‘in case that is the problem’, as the EPB may not be getting a signal.

EPB issue tbd...later

rcpopup likes this.
  7. rcpopup

rcpopup Member

Well, that is not too bad of a problem as long as it is not the engine or transmission-related, my greatest fear. Your transmission is not a CVT-Continuous Variable Transmission? How many miles did it have, when purchased? Dealer or private party owner? Would you mind stating what price, if you don't mind?
    My 2008 Chevy Equinox LTZ AWD 3.4L 6 cyl, 101k miles has a non-functioning Person Presence Switch that activates, or not, the passenger airbag deployment and it would cost $500 for the part plus me taking the whole seat cover off to install.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

CVT- Continuous Variable Transmission

rcpopup likes this.
  9. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

Hi MtnBkr88 - thanks for your comments. I'm a Aliner Explorer and very familiar with the Big Bear area. I've been thinking about another tow vehicle and trying to make the best long term "green" choice. How does your Rav4 do pulling your trailer up those hills? Does it seem to you the engine and trans are adequate or struggling? Any chance you know the approximate weight of your trailer all up (i.e. all your gear included)? The reason I'm curious is that my current vehicle is great off-road but towing not so much. All up plus 10 gallons of water, my trailer is at 3100 lbs. Aliner's GVWR for the larger Expeditions/Explorers is 3500.

rcpopup likes this.
  10. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

We have a 2017 Kia Sorento also. It pulls our old Starcraft effortlessly.

davekro likes this.
  11. daduruguay1961

daduruguay1961 New Member

I am looking to trade up tp a Nissan Pathfinder 4wd rated at 6,000 lbs.... any thoughts?

12. rescamilla

rescamilla Member

We used to pull our PUP with my wife's 2001 Toyota Highlander. It pulled fine on flats, struggled a bit on the uphill. We eventually sold it when the rear main motor seal had to be replaced. When the cost to repair exceeded the value of the vehicle.

13. brettstoner

brettstoner Member

I would look for a body on frame such as a Tahoe. I have a 14 Explorer with the 3.5 twin turbo, 365hp, and AWD. It has plenty of power and pulls nice. It is rated for 5k. I do have to be careful as I hit the GVWR before I hit the 5k tow rating with a family of 4.

TurboWagen likes this.
  14. TurboWagen

TurboWagen New Member

We enjoyed our 2011 Ford Flex with the Ecoboost V6 (twin turbo-charged for 355 hp). It was great for towing our camper. Just be sure to properly maintain the engine above & beyond Ford's recommendation. Don't use synthetic, just semi-synthetic. Change your oil every 3-4k miles. We only burned premium fuel, but in theory you can use 87 octane in it and the computer will adjust accordingly. Mileage hauling our Starcraft high wall was excellent at 65mph or below.

Alas, I didn't maintain the engine as well as I should in retrospect, but our V8 F-150 is doing a great job now.

15. TurboWagen

TurboWagen New Member

We considered a body-on-frame SUV, but found a crew-cab half-ton was perfect for our family of five and costs less. Worth looking at both, as I think reliability is worth more money than is mileage when it comes to $$$ in the end.

16. TurboWagen

TurboWagen New Member

For towing ability for a pop-up, I think that would be great. Do some research on the Nissan reliability overall, but that depends upon how long you own the thing, I'm sure.

17. Slowhandmike

Slowhandmike New Member

I just traded my BMW X3 for a 2015 Lexus 450h. Haven’t used it to pull my Aliner Ranger 10 yet. Any experience out there?
    Will I need electric brakes. It has the tow package but not the brakes.
    Thanks

18. VacayOnMyMind

VacayOnMyMind New Member

I have a 2017 Pathfinder Platinum with the tow package and we've had no problems towing our ~3500 lb pup in these NC mountains! I would totally feel comfortable towing up to 5000lb, especially in the mountains.

19. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If your trailer is brake equipped, you need and want the brakes to work, so a controller on your vehicle. Most if not all of the factory tow packages these days come wired for brakes, or the controller is OEM with the package. My Explorer was totally plug and play for the controller. my F150 and 250’s just needed the controller, relays and 7way plug installed, the wiring was there.

20. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

The only 2 mid sized current vehicles are the 4 runner or grand Cherokee. You want 5000lb minimum rating on any 3500 gvw trailer