Mid Sized SUVs With 6 Cylinders

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by rcpopup, Dec 23, 2020.

1. rcpopup

rcpopup Member

Why not synthetic? Do seals leak?

2. yahoolee

yahoolee New Member

We pulled our 2017 Aliner Expedition with a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder V6. It did a wonderful job. We changed out to a half ton PU for additional payload. It pulled up and down the 7% grades outside of Kerrville and Junction Texas, and the Davis Mountains very well. The 2013 and up Pathfinders are unibody and have CVT transmissions.

3. Tonyk52

Tonyk52 New Member

I've been pulling my older 16ft Viking with my trusty 2004 Chevy Trailblazer. Has a tow package and the thing will go anywhere through anything. Bit of a gas hog but it's still a workhorse. Got close to 200k. Might be tough to find a Trailblazer with low miles and most have been ridden hard and put away wet. It's been a great SUV.

myride and JiffyPopJunkie like this.
  4. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey New Member

I agree with the best car ever (but keep reading). Our second RAV4 was 2009 with V6 (no tow package) and it was amazing. At 380,000 km we decided it might be time to trade it in. (A friend had the identical vehicle and blew the tranny at 400k.) Got the 2018 RAV4 Trail with 4cyl and tow package. It worked well but we hit the lease limit (96k) in only 2 years so we thought we would get a Tacoma. I've always liked that truck--until we actually took it out for a test drive. Very sluggish and felt like manual rack and pinion steering. Very disappointed. We then test drove a RAM 1500 and we were instantly sold!. I love going for a drive now (not that there's anywhere to go right now in the lockdown). It will pull our Coleman 1995 Arcadia and give us options if we want to move up to something that we don't have to crank up.

5. TurboWagen

TurboWagen New Member

Not sure, but Ford's recommendation is their own blend, which delivers some of the best of both. The key is don't wait for the oil change notification. The turbos need good clean oil.

I still had issues with several fuel injectors becoming clogged, so not sure what I could have possibly improved on there since I ran premium 100% of the time. Then one or more cracked spark plugs.

rcpopup likes this.
  6. TurboWagen

TurboWagen New Member

My 2011 Flex w/ tow package already had the 7-way. We added a Curt Echo brake controller (you use Bluetooth to control it), which worked just fine. Since replacing the Flex with a 2020 F-150, we opted for Ford's integrated brake controller.

7. rcpopup

rcpopup Member

Wow, Ford oil recommended? I knew about grades of engine oil but proprietary engine oil is real news.
    Blended oils may deliver some of the best of both or maybe deliver none of the best of either[Guitar]. Well, I guess the engines are so high tech (maybe too high tech), more complicated and so lubricants follow the trend. Engines appear to be getting more delicate and complicated, not much good news for us consumers. But we have the money to vote them down or up with our purchases[RTM].

xxxapache likes this.
  8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

The only advantage that synthetic blend oil has over fully synthetic oil is cost. Fully synthetic oil is better than any blend.

Rusty2192, zak99b5 and xxxapache like this.
  9. TurboWagen

TurboWagen New Member

"Proprietary additives" relating to the metallurgy used, so they say. I'm skeptical, but I'm opting for more simplicity, thus the non-turbo V8 in our tow vehicle now.

I'm sure Ford would sell full synthetic of their Motorcraft brand if it made them money.

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have a late model Ford V8. I use a fully synthetic that meets Fords spec. It costs about the same as Motorcraft blend.

11. TurboWagen

TurboWagen New Member

I usually change my own oil, so cost wasn't a factor. I'm curious to find again where I read about using blend vs full and why, though.

12. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I always use fully synthetic because they reportedly created less varnish on surfaces such as lifter bodies. And since said varnish (from using "Dino" oil) caused sticking lifters and a flattened cam lobe in my 69 Chevrolet Impala (327 V8) I have been using full synthetic ever since.

I pulled the pushrods on the affected cylinder and ran the Impala as a V7. It worked fine that way. It did get new lifters on the other 7 cylinders. That was the 2nd and last time that I pulled the head(s) off an automobile engine.

rcpopup likes this.
  13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

14. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Oil is one of those highly debated topics. I only use synthetic in one vehicle. I have 7 others plus an inboard boat that get dino. They range from 21 to 43 years old. None have ever had an oil related problem.

My Toyota pickup had a head gasket leak at 150k. When the head was off, I got a good look at the cylinder walls. The cross hatch marks from where it was originally bored were still visible. The valve train was exceptionally clean....Dino oil hadn't hurt it. It's got 228k miles now and is still going strong.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Ladiesman and Anthony Hitchings like this.
  15. davekro

davekro Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The Kia Sorento has a 6 speed (you want to avoid a CVT tranny like the plague for towing IMO). I REALLY Wanted the Tech Package that included the Adaptive cruise control, blind spot warning and other related features. I think that package added about $1500-ish to the used price. This 2017 Sorento SX AWD, V6, factory hitch (made by Curt) was just off a 3 year lease. We paid $25,700 (+ 2,700 for tax & Lic. was $28,400 OTD). Normally I prefer to buy private party to get lower pricing and a sense of the owner and their care of the vehicle. But we were in a hurry to get a tow vehicle so we could start shopping for a Pup!!! ;) In the SF Bay Area, there were ‘some’ 2017 AWD w/ V6‘s in the used and dealer market, but only two within a 1 1/2 hour drive that had the Tech package I really wanted. One was a 2016. The 2016’s Tech Package did not have all the features I wanted. That made the (1) 2017 the only option for me. It was either drive there and negotiate a deal on that one or some unknown amount of time for finding another 2017+ trifecta w/ AWD, V6 & Tech Pkg. This was mid August 2019. We wanted to do some camping still that season, so rare for me, I bought the only available. Even though I inspected it very closely, I realized later this car was far from pampered. With 2020 hindsight, I would have widened my search willing to drive 3+ hours to have a choice. This had 48,000 miles on it. I would prefer used w/ 25,000-ish, but I quickly realized that was dreaming to find one of those!

I am very impressed with the comfort, towing, power and gas mileage. Seems to get about 22 mpg overall (not including towing).

rcpopup likes this.
  16. davekro

davekro Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Is yours an AWD V6? EX, SX or SXL (limited).
    I got the SX. I think EX did not offer my desired Tech Pkg for all the cool speed control stuff. I just love the Adaptive Speed Control. You set your cruise control and if a car in front of you slows below you set speed, the Sorento reduces speed to match that car. If that car speed up, it goes back up to your set speed. So cool. But alas, having to remove fuses to disable my broken EPB (electric parking brake), my cruise control and related features are also not usable until I get back to the project of more trouble shooting on my EPB Issue.

rcpopup likes this.
  17. rcpopup

rcpopup Member

Am I seeing a consensus starting to form in favor of V6, non CVT transmission for us smaller size towers?

mtnbkr88 likes this.
  18. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Yup - says me - as I am in that category

rcpopup likes this.
  19. gec66

gec66 Active Member

CVT transmission. I wouldn't.

rcpopup likes this.
  20. woodentoy

woodentoy Member Silver Supporting Member

I towed my Aliner Classic from Maine as far as Montana. We went through the mountains of Colorado and Utah along with all of the states in between.
    Al together about 10,000 miles driving with probably 7-8000 towing. This was with a 2017 Subaru Outback. We found that the car did an adequate job
    but as you can imagine was under powered in the elevations. Driving sensibly the car did the job but we have since traded it for a 2019 Subaru Ascent.
    It's a great tow vehicle with decent mileage. 5000 pound towing capacity and 500 pound hitch weight. The factory 2" hitch was wired for 7 pin connector
    and the camper has brakes. We couldn't be happier. We make two long trips, 8 weeks, a year with shorter local trips here in Maine in the summer. Getting ready
    to head south next month. The Ascent has a turbo charged 4 cylinder, 260 HP

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    rcpopup likes this.