Mid Sized SUVs With 6 Cylinders

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by rcpopup, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Tirebyter55

Tirebyter55 New Member Silver Supporting Member

Ditto. A year ago we got the same rig as yours to pull our 2001 Dutchman at about the same loaded weight. I've always been a Toyota person but, our Kia outpulls my 2004 3.4L Tacoma hands down. I have to say that so far I love the Sorento. We went on a 1300 mile camping trip last fall to the Oregon Coast and back and got over 20 mpg. Impressive!

2. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Since I cannot stand working on a transverse mounted V6 after working on several in minivans, a turbo 4 is fine by me. The technology is mature and the bugs have been worked out of the ones on the market now. CVT's are a different thing. Some makers such as Subaru have great CVT's that are known to be problem-free. Toyota also since their hybrid CVT really isn't a traditional CVT. No way would I ever touch a Nissan or Infiniti with a CVT. Those are designed to last a mile or a day past the powertrain warranty.

zak99b5 likes this.
  3. mtnbkr88

mtnbkr88 New Member

Hi David - Fully loaded our 2002 Aliner Expedition weighs ~2100lbs. Aliners before 2005 were made of aluminum instead of fiberglass so they weigh a lot less. Our RAV4 has absolutely no problems pulling our Aliner up the hills to Big Bear. We usually drive up Hwy 18 on the North side from Lucerne and you know those hills are extremely steep. We can fly up Sherman's Grade near Mammoth. I don't know how it would do pulling 3100lbs. I've never tried, but it's rated to tow up to 3500lbs so I wouldn't hesitate to try.

David Blackwell likes this.
  4. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

As told to me by the Mobile rep that called on the dealership I worked at. Theirs is really no synthetic oil. It is made from the same oil and what they do to make it last long and be clear when you buy it is, It is highly refined taking all of the un needed stuff then they blend different levels of the same oil back together. Synthetic oil has no rust inhibitors in it. The Feds made all all mfgs. remove the Zinc from the formula they claimed it killed the converter. All the race car teams add zinc for lubrication. Rizoline zinc additive (yellow can) can be bought in any parts store except maybe CA but I don't go there anyway. Because the oil starts cleaner it can be ran longer. That's common since right? At one time GM made you use Mobil one in Corvettes. Don't know what they do now. They are so expensive now dealers charge a fee if you glance at one walking by in the show room.

5. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

Since I love a good oil thread, I'll just recommend that anyone with a little curiosity head over to bobistheoilguy .com and read the Oil University posts. I know I sure learned a lot there.

6. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Oil now? I use what the manual says. 0w-20 for the tow vehicle, and 5w-30 for the other car. Both full synthetic. Costco has their house brand full syn for $14 a jug or so when purchased in a two-pack. Or Mobil 1 for $28 for 6 quarts. Cheap enough. I also trust the computers enough to change it when they say to and not sooner. That roughly works out to 6 month change intervals with our driving. Our tow vehicle gets cheap syn for the winter, and name brand for the summer. Figure that's good enough.

xxxapache likes this.
  7. TurboWagen

TurboWagen New Member

Don't get me wrong. I still use full synthetic in my turbo Subaru and also my non-turbo Subaru.

8. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

If you are looking for a mid-sized SUV to tow with, I recommend a Jeep GC. The 6-cylinders with the factory tow package have something like a 6K pound tow rating. We have always been a Ford family and I drove and towed with an Expedition for years. But we now have 3 GCs between the 5 of us and we all love them. An all around good vehicle for a daily driver, tows well, rugged but still pleasant to drive.

9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I was thinking the very same thing yesterday. There is a Youtube video of a GC going up to the Salt Tram relay (transfer) station on the crest of the Inyo Mountains, that road is not a sissy SUV. That location is on my todo list this summer.

10. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Those years were known to have "rubber camshafts" and went flat frequently no matter what oil you used. If this happened in the last 20 years, the lack of zinc didn't help.

1380ken likes this.
  11. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

Its a V6, EX, I think. Plenty of power for our needs.

12. davekro

davekro Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Andy, is yours AWD ( all wheel drive)? If it is, it is rated for 5,000 lb. tow capacity. If not, the rating is 3,500 lb.

13. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Not the same price range, but the Volvo XC90 is an absolute beast towing.

I have a 2016 one with the 4cyl (turbo and super) and a 2007 V8. The 2016 is the better tow car - but both are really really good

we tow a big highwall with it. Close to 4500lbs between camper and car cargo. Barely feel it. Andersen sway WDH to keep it all tame

14. Kanders

Kanders New Member

Do you have any sag or squat with this? That’s what we have but out set up looks bad with our brand new 2000# pup. There was squat with the Highlander when everything was empty!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    rescamilla likes this.
  15. hoverfish

hoverfish Member

Yes, the rear end squats a bit more than I would like, I'm planning to put some bags in the rear springs this year. The Sienna bags apparently fit.

16. Slowhandmike

Slowhandmike New Member

I have a '15 Lexus RX 450h. Pulling a Ranger 10 Aliner. It's about the same as the Highlander Hybrid. I recently got 23 mpg going from Boise down into Hells Canyon and 21 on the return trip. Has tow package. Rated to 3500. Many Highlanders have the 3rd row seat if you don't need that the RX is about the same price.