might have bit off more than we can chew

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by brdprey, Aug 15, 2016.

1. brdprey

brdprey New Member

mmm kay, so i get a post from my wife.
    she wants a tt, i told her we are limited on size of trailer.
    i told her the gvwr is the max the trailer can be fully loaded.
    she sends me this....working on pic sizing so i will have to give you txt form.
    gvwr 6500lbs
    gawr 3500lbs.

i have a 99 ram 1500. she hates pop ups, she doesn't want to tent it anymore.
    i told her it would need an up grade in trucks. now. we are arguing.

will i be able to tow this 27ft empty with many issues? thought i would ask before i told her fine.
    if not, im shall inform her of my need to get a better truck.......like my feelers are hurt.

2. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

No one tows an empty travel trailer. More storage=more crap you're going to carry. My dad tows a 7800 lb TT with a 1/2 ton dodge and it does well with a weight distributing hitch.
    Personally if I didn't know what my truck could tow, I wouldn't be pushing those unknown limits.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

So, what is your 99 Ram rated to tow?

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Your Ram should be fine towing a trailer with the GVWR of 6500lbs .. You can verify by taking your trucks vin into your local Dodge dealer and have them tell you your trucks specific tow rating..

Now you will need a WDH and if your truck doesn't have one a brake controller too ..

5. brdprey

brdprey New Member

ill call the dealer ship tomorrow and find out thanks

6. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

The first thing most 1/2 tons run out of is payload. First find out how much payload you have and then calculate all the passengers and gear you will be carrying. How much capacity do you have left for the tongue weight of the trailer?

For estimating, assume that the tongue weight of any given trailer will be 15% of the trailer's GVWR. Example; for a 6,500# GVWR trailer the tongue weight could be 975#.

I wouldn't trust their info. Try this;
    http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

Keep in mind that tow ratings are for a new vehicle. We don't know the condition of your 17 year old vehicle but it isn't new anymore.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Why would you not trust the dealer running the vin number for his trucks specific tow rating, but trust a generic towing guide produced using the same convoluted info dealership sales droids use ??

As proof... Info for my 2012 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 5.7 having the dealer run the vin 8800lbs with a 6 speed auto and 3.55 according to your guide same truck only has a 5 speed auto and 3.55 with a rating of 8550 lbs ...

8. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Couple of things I towed my Utah with a 2005 Ram 5.7 and a 2011 Ford Explorer v6. the ford did a better job and the pup was like 4k. I am not sure why the ram I used was bad again it was abused by a late teen and something was wrong.

now as far as TT as no one tows at empty and very rarely you at full gvwr either. My gvwr is 9600 lbs and It came with an empty weight of 6333 lbs from the factory with propane and electric tongue etc preinstalled. It was stickered at 6876 lbs but the as leaving factory weight was 6333 lbs. Even on a 1 week trip I am never over 7500 lbs. I tow with a 5.7 Tundra now. it is over payload by few hundred but with in axle numbers.

the tundra I get 7.5-8 mpg depending on who is driving 0 me 8mpg at 60 and wife when I am snoozing at 70 or so getting 7.5 . The kids always ask for mom to tow as they get to campground early. [:(O]

I will say I have blistein 4600 HD shock, airbags running 20 psi[very low], equalizer wdh .

I think if you are around 4500 lbs loaded to camp, you will be good. You do run out of payload, ,my tundra came with 9600 lbs tow capacity and I am out of payload at 7k camper and family. I usually keep the bed empty.

9. Customer

I trust the factory specs but do not know who at the dealer is likely to advise the OP. A salesman, parts counter, the dealership secretary?

I know the Trailer Life guides are considered accurate and reliable but they are published early in the year. I would guess your Ram might be a late year build and had a mid year change but it would be obvious to anyone that there is a glitch in the specs due to the transmission discrepancy.

10. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We had a 97 Dakota V-6 towing a 3500lb hybrid...it did the job and within its tow capacity, but a bigger truck made for a better towing experience.
    If your Ram came with the Factory tow package, then you should be fine. I definitely will recommend a WDH and LT tires.

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Bought February of 2012 .. Well the person at the dealership would be the person who runs the vin.. pretty simple.. they punch it in the computer and poof.. all the info he wants will appear, specific to his truck.. Doesn't matter who punches it in...

The TL guides are just that... a guide just like Nada .. 60% useful but if you start with the wrong info it's 100% useless ..

12. Customer

Snow, so the OP has your personal guarantee that they will get accurate info from a dealer? You seem adamant about that being the only course to take. I trust no person and no source explicitly.

13. brdprey

brdprey New Member

OK GOOD and not so good news.
    first. one of the on line links said i was good to 8000lbs.
    but, the dealer after giving them the vin said
    you do not have the tow package but you do have 3.5/3.9 gear. max tow 7500.

i was some what ok with this.
    well since i really wanted a new truck.
    but, i was thinking of putting on a trany cooler. so i called the guys that build my trans and they said if i wanted to spend money they could change out the valve body
    and leave the cooler alone at a price of 400.00. i also thought maybe even change out the cam (which i think i put a stock one in it this last time)
    should be enough to ensure i do pull that. maybe even upgrade my u-joints , drive line as well.
    no it wont increase how much i can tow , just ensure i can tow it.
    all these are still cheaper than a new truck.

i did tell the dealer i would have to weigh my truck empty then the trailer.

on that note. i shall up date you on what the weights are and possible upgrades to make this pig a better tow vehicle.

14. Customer

Engine performance is only a small factor in tow ratings. A VW beetle could probably pull it down the road, at least for a while.

Some important considerations are suspension (handling) and stopping. A 1/2 ton has relatively small brakes compared to larger trucks.

I've seen it many times where someone will buy a trailer at or near the limits, spend $$$ upgrading the tow vehicle, and then ultimately replace the tow vehicle.

I'm not saying you can't successfully tow the one you are considering because I don't know. My biggest concern would be the age of your truck. You may not have the salted road rust problem we have here, I just junked a 1998 with 110,000 miles because the frame looked like Swiss cheese.

15. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

I just don't trust the heads on an older dodge gas vehicle to tow regularly with one. As a teen I had a 1998 dodge 1500 with the 5.9 in it. I never did the typical teenage bs in it, as I also had an 86 chevy that was for playing. At any rate, that dodge started acting funky one day and come to find out it had warped heads, never been hot a day in its life, I bought it from my dad who bought it new. Through the years of working as an auto mechanic I have seen several dodge vehicles, especially 90s model durangos, that have major issues with the top end.

As customer said, age can be a major factor. But only you know your truck and how well it is maintained, and how reliable it may be. Perfect example, I tow with a 1997 F250, I just rolled over 336k miles.

16. rustybronco

rustybronco Member

If it were me I would ask someone in the parts department. ;)

17. brdprey

brdprey New Member

good point customer....
    ill look into the larger dana series.
    currently got a 9.25 but a light duty 70 might be a better upgrade. especially if i can find one with 4.10 gearing.
    its amazing what you find in a junk yard.

18. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

While you are doing that, check eHarmony.com once in a while. There are plenty of women who love pups. [LOL]

19. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Hmmm, i am no mechanic by trade but I would be very skeptical of that, you need to cool down that transmission fluid that is overheating due to the extra load, not sure how a valve job will help with that. Once you burn the additives in the transmission fluid they are done for and same applies to most transmission parts, once you abuse them there is no turn back. By no means I am saying not to do the valve job if that will help you tow but I dont think one replaces the other and if I could have just one, I would go with the cooler...

New towing vehicle with a factory towing package will take care of all of your worries, that is what I just did, taking possession of my Tundra on the 27thish..

good luck!

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

No won't guarantee anything, however will go as far as saying the most accurate info anyone will ever get when it comes to their tow rating will come from having the dealer run the vin.. Like someone else mentioned, as the parts counter guys as they practically make a living using vins and will be able to not only give the tow rating, but other important weights as well (not say that the service people or even the general secretary can't do it, just that the parts guys do it all day).

Well the tow guide by trailer life had this for your truck ...

1500 2wd 5.2/5.9 v-8 8800lbs Req's: 4speed auto, 3.5/3.9 gears, no tow with 3.21's, club cab ratings lower..
    1500 4wd similar requirements and limits are 4800, 5300 7800 lbs ..

I would add the cooler for sure, not sure changing the valve body will do much for you..