Mildew Cleanup & Caulk

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by jdmerf, Jan 12, 2017.

1. jdmerf

jdmerf New Member

Hello,

Just bought a used pop-up and am starting to clean her up.

Some mildew has built up on both the vinyl and canvas surfaces. What's the preferred way to clean these surfaces with out damaging the finish or causing permanent discoloring? Do the surfaces need to be re-conditioned after a thorough cleaning? Can I expect to get rid of all the mildew stains or do the become somewhat permanent?

Also, any advice for re-caulking the two seams that run front-to-back along the left and right caps that attach to the roof segment?

Appreciate any advice.

2. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

there is a lot of advice on this under the search, but it would help if you would list what you have in the signature box in profile settings :)

3. jdmerf

jdmerf New Member

Thanks. I'll start there.

4. countrymom

countrymom Member

we just bought a pup from dealer and they did show us the basic so we don't look to dumb.very helpful, now the salesman didnt know much,but the guy doing the run through was very knowledegable. sorry wrong post don't know how to delete

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

A lot of people swear by Bass Pro Lemon Marine cleaner - or something like that. Do a search for Bass Pro and see what comes up.

I know what I did, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. I was prepared to replace my canvas in the event that I ruined it. I just couldn't chance any remaining mold or mildew, due to asthma and allergies. I used bleach in a spray bottle with a brush. Got all nice and clean. [LOL] I only did that on the inside.

On the outside, we used some cleaner we got at Dollar Tree, with a brush. Less harsh than bleach, but still not recommended as I'm sure it wasn't the best thing for it. We may have shortened the life span of our canvas, but that is yet to be seen. She has been through two hurricanes and a monsoon since then, with no issues.

After it was dry from cleaning, I did apply two coats of waterproofing to the outside of the canvas.