Mildew/Mold on interrior fabric of Jayco

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by athread678, Sep 8, 2014.

1. athread678

athread678 Member

Hi everyone. I know there are LOTS of posts regarding cleaning of tenting fabrics on the portal. However, I'm having trouble with a stubborn area and I'm a bit hesitant to use anything too strong.

We have a 2007 Jayco 1007 that apparently had a clogged AC drain when we last took it camping. Little did we know, on the trip home the water from the unit leaked all over our small bunk end and mattress [:!].

We just popped her back up for a trip (didn't camp much this summer with the heat) and there is now a substantial blackish area on the interior tent fabric at the small bunk end [:(!]. Nothing on the outside, so we know it was the AC. We've fixed the issue with the drain, but now we're left with this ugly stain!

I've checked the owners manual and all it says to use to clean the interior fabric is warm soapy water... yeah, that's not doing anything to make this go away. My husband (not knowing any better) did used a mild bleach and water mixture - which did help lighten some of the area. He rinsed the area very well, but I've read that this is the LAST thing you want to use on your fabric.

We also purchased a bleach free mold & mildew cleaner from Camping World that we were told would take care of it. We might as well have just used water because it made no impact on the stain.

Does anyone know of anything we can use that will get rid of the staining and clean this area without damage? Any help would be great!

2. gerryrobinson

gerryrobinson New Member

3. pckeen

pckeen New Member

Ditto on Starbrite - we have used it on both campers and another problem area with great success.

The bad news is when you use it, it smells like bleach.

When we used this, we rinsed very well afterwards. We found that after we had used it, the waterproofing was not as good as before, so we ended up re-waterproofing the camper. Having said that, nothing else worked to deal with the problem

4. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

5. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

6. Strut

Strut Member

7. athread678

athread678 Member

Thank you all for the great feedback. We picked up the Bass Pro Shop Mildew cleaner this weekend and hopefully will get some time to work on it this week. I'll be sure to post some pics of the process :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. darrenandmelissa

darrenandmelissa Member

I assume the mold was on the inside, which I am having a problem with. Just curious how cleaning the inside would affect the water proofing on the out side.

9. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Just FYI, there's no problem with using chlorine as long as you use it in a diluted solution and rinse it out thoroughly. Sunbrella, which isn't your fabric, recommends 1 gal water, 1 cup bleach, 1/4 cup dishwater detergent. Why don't you check with Jayco and see what they have to say?

10. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

It can soak through the fabric and affect the waterproof coating from "underneath".
    Nothing that a quick shot of 303 or NeverWet Fabric won't fix. :)

11. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Aren't most pups vinyl covered canvas, almost entirely? (I'm thinking within the last 20 yrs or so) On ours' only the end windows are bare canvas! [A]