Mill Creek - Sam Rayburn - Corps of Engineers

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Arsonal, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Arsonal

Arsonal New Member

Anyone ever stayed here, or have any reviews? We are going there in July since some of my wife's cousins are making a big trip out of it. This will probably be one of our first outings in our popup.

2. jpetrey

jpetrey New Member

3. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

We've stayed here. It's a fairly nice park. The restrooms were clean and had several playgrounds. Our only real complaint was that it didn't have any bike or hiking trails. We stayed in site #74. It has a nice big pecan tree for shade even though it's pretty close to site #76. It sits on a bluff and overlooks the swimming area. We'd get #76 next time because a big rig in #76 blocks the view of #74. Some sites are more shady that others. Site #67 is a real challenge to back into for an inexperienced camper. It backs down a fairly steep hill then dog-legs to the left if you're backing in. If you could get in it, it's nice and roomy. But, we wouldn't even attempt it. :) We stayed here during the big Texas drought last year. The lake was down about 11 ft when we camped here. So there was a lot of sandy beaches and we could walk way out into the lake on dry sand. Right now the lake is about 2 ft below capacity. So there should be more boaters and better fishing. Even the boat ramps were high and dry when we were there. Some sites are separated by a low metal barrier and it was nice because it kept someone from parking a boat in our site (if there had been water in the lake it might have been more of an issue). That has happened, but more at San Augustine Park.

I'll try to upload my pictures to Webshots so you'll get an idea of what the park is like. Overall it's a decent park.

4. apesydaisy

apesydaisy New Member

I was just there last weekend and will be there again tonight, in case anyone new on here wants to know. It's still very nice. We stayed on the right hand side of the park right across from the water. The only problem that I had was that our picnic table didn't have a cover, but that was ok for us since our parents were next door and we mostly hung out with them. Tonight we'll be in a different spot across from the old one and it's table is not broken and is in the trees a little more so it's a little more shaded. We like Mill Creek and will probably be staying here more often.