mini dashund aggresion towards kids.

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by silverfz, Jul 5, 2015.

1. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

We have a German Shepard who is aggressive toward other dogs and any stranger he deems to be dangerous. He knows his place in our pack very well and has never nipped at our children or our cats. Once someone is in our home and he knows they are ok he is the sweetest baby ever.
    Due to his aggressiveness to the unknown he stays home when we go camping. We hire a dog sitter that he knows and loves and we enjoy our trip without stressing about our dog.
    He is a part of our family and will be with us until the end. That time is unfortunately coming soon as he is 12 and having issues walking. You don't have to give up on your pet. You just have to know his limitations.

2. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

We have only boarded him once and we did not like that place.He came back a mess with some injury. His aggression also started as my wife notes with that 1 week stay.
    so he starts school this Friday. they also offer boarding services. So he going to be board there from our next camping trip.

I am also telling my 4 yr old to not run the around chasing with a toy or truck. He chases him for fun. I think the dog nips to tell him to leave him alone. He never does that with my 7 yr old as she does not do such things as my 4 yr old boy.

I live in mass so we are liable for the dog even If I give it up. One of 3 states with that law in the country.It will be a long process to rehab or else put him down. I think we love him too much do that. as I said he is the best dog when at home other than when my son chases him with a rubber sword or jumps around real loud and trys to jump on him. We are telling my son he weighs 4 times the dog and should not do such things.

I will keep all posted, a lot of great advice here.
    satz

3. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

The news of our dog did travel. A couple who have small dogs and live in a house want to do house visit with the dog. My daughter was upset but I explained everything and did not hide anything from her.she is 7 and I did not want to create a bad memory. The dog did snap at her as she was sitting next to him just enforcing my case. We will see. We know them and these 2 ladies love animals and he gets 2 small dogs to play right off the bat. They have a pet friendly home.

Maybe it will not work out but we will finish his obedience School and monitor his progress.he does everything that he was taught so far

It will sad for me as he spent more time with me.if it was me and my wife we would have kept.his unprediable behavior with kids scares us. Especially when my neighbors kids just run in .

4. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

silverfz - I cannot imagine the anguish you are going through. On one hand you adopted the dog, intending to give him a home for the entirety of his life. On the other hand you have young children, and they shouldn't be exposed to a dog that bites.

It sounds like you are doing the very best you can to work with dog on training. The possibility of a more appropriate home, would certainly be an ideal resolution.

I do agree with the other posters that bringing the dog camping, you risk the dog being aggressive to a stranger and the legal ramifications therein.

I hope you are able to rehome your dog, and know you did all that you could for him.

Good luck.

5. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I have decided to board him for the upcoming trips till we make further progress. He tends to go red zone and go after kids. I feel its a matter of time before me or my wife do not catch him in time leading to an injury.

6. BushwickBill

BushwickBill Member

this post makes me sad for the poor dog to me getting a dog is like getting married only more sacred and really till death due us part. make sure the dog not only sees you as alpha but the kids also sounds like the dog my think he is below you but equal to or above the kids in the pecking order. good luck hope it works out for you and the doggy.

7. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

We took him a therapist . I always thought it was funny but heck what the hell . It was clear from his paper work as we got him at 8-9 weeks from kennel pet store and he was in isolation for kennel cough for 3 weeks. He must have been taken from him mom at 5 weeks and the 3 week of isolation seem to have effected his socialization skills. Its a 2 way learning as I never knew such things . I am much wiser about this things now. So the fixing will take time. The only other thing I know is as they age they get better with training and attention.

8. gruss

gruss Active Member

I agree it's sad, but people get divorced all the time. If the dog is biting kids, he gotta go. Do the training thing and I hope it all works out for the OP, sounds like a good guy trying to do the right thing, but if he can re home him it might be for the best.
    I'm not cold hearted about pets, but there are limits and that is crossing one.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I go along with the get him neutered idea, it changes their disposition at least it has our Chihuahuas. Obedience training would probably help too. I raise Feist squirrel dogs and sometimes I have to use my electronic training collars to get their attention during training , this usually gives them an attitude adjustment.

10. tuna_mackeral

tuna_mackeral New Member

Sorry, know I'm a bit late on this post, but have you considered a soft muzzle? I have a 10 year old jack russell mix who is a mental case to say the least. I have no kids and knew she had issues when we adopted her. We use the soft muzzle when we need to give her a bath, and at the vet. It's made of mesh and goes on very easily. She's able to bark but not bite. This might be a good option for you when she's around the kids until you get her trained.

11. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Because so many people answered .figured an update might help. So we took him camping after a few of training both for him and us. He was excellent day 1 . No more trying to lung at everything and he got me a bit off guard.2nd some guy decided it was smart to put his hand on the dogs face. He snapped at him . He was well behaved friendly to all dog walkers and even to some kids with hockey sticks making alot of noise near him.
    We hosted 2 parties and in both over 30 people including kids were around. He was fine did not like 2 person which changes as soon they threw a treat.

So has he improved ,I say yes. He has ways to go but 4 weeks down many more to go.

12. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Excellent progress!! You're going to do great as long as the little bugger is treat oriented. He's already starting to associate good behavior gets him a treat!! Keep up the good work.:)

As far as the guy who went for the head, a LOT of breeds do not like that approach. Don't let the people ruin what you're fixing. The proper approach, and tell them, is to extend a palm and let the dog sniff them. He might allow a chin scratch, he might walk away. But always be prepared to jerk him back with a stern NO if he even looks like he's going to snap! Then make it positive for him. Walk away & make him sit or something, then treat.

Happy Camping!

:-D

Smartphone grammar SUCKS!!

13. R00

R00 Active Member

It still hasn't 100% caught on, but many dog people know that if you put a yellow ribbon or tag on the dogs leash or harness that it means its not safe to approach. Food for thought.

14. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Yup, haven't heard of that one. If I saw it, I'd have to ask!

:-D

Smartphone grammar SUCKS!!

15. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I wanted to post this so other people can maybe not give up . Bear has calm down a lot, I had to teach him along with my wife and people he used to that when people show there fingers to sniff they want to pet. He lets strangers pet him all the time. I do show them how to pet a dog . He is also loves road trips. I take him everywhere. He lays on my thigh when I am driving. We leave him alone during family and friend visit and he is doing good. He loves to learn tricks.i got a dog trick teaching book from amazon and been teaching him agility tricks. He would need a muzzle and had to restrain to get nails clipped.now I just hold him and my wife cuts them .
    He just wags his tai the whole time

Thanks I will keep working with him.i am starting to do leash less walking and he seems happy to run with me ,even among people and other dogs.

16. R00

R00 Active Member

This made my day!

17. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

That is awesome! Thank you for hanging in there. You are reaping the rewards now!!

18. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

OUTSTANDING!
    Congrats to both you and Bear!

Maybe I have been doing it wrong all these years but I was taught to hold out the BACK of my hand, not the palm, to a new acquaintance Pooch. Let them sniff it first, usually followed by a "lick" then it's ok to pet... but sometimes a "back-up and bark".
    The reason being the back of the hand shows no aggression is intended because you aren't interpreted as "grabbing" by the dog. AND it's easier to snatch back your hand if there is a problem.

19. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Just read through this thread. Part way through I was thinking, "Poor dog is fear aggressive, maybe poorly socialized. He needs a doggie behaviorist not just a trainer." Far too often people want to fall back on the dominance excuse rather than looking at the whole picture & realizing that the majority of the time aggression results from fear, not dominance. Then I get to your post quoted above & rejoiced a bit. Perhaps your initial research & breed choice were not the best for your particular situation but he's your first dog & even much more knowledgeable people make mistakes along the way. (And pet stores are never a good place to buy a dog because most have histories similar to your dog, not to mention the horrible living conditions of most of the breeding dogs. Hobby breeders with just a few dogs are usually a better choice.) However, it certainly sounds like you are doing your best, learning a lot & following through to help your dog. Thank you for sharing your story & giving follow ups. Your work is really paying off. Sounds like you may well end up with a camping friendly dog. :D

20. Babiaca

Babiaca New Member

I'm so glad the little guy is doing better! Reading all the breed bashing made me so sad. None of the dogs I've owned have ever lived up to their "breed characteristics." My first dog in life, a cocker spaniel barked twice in the 16 wonderful years she lived. I had a miniature dachshund after who was happy, but never aggressive. He barked in greeting and for notifying reasons. My Mom had a home daycare and he was so good with any and every kid (they drop food so he loved them) that there were countless pictures of him dressed in doll clothes, pushed in strollers and laid out on his back in the arms of random toddlers we kept! I had a Scottish terrier who hardly barked, was perfectly obedient to me and laid back to everyone she met, though I was her favorite person.
    All that about breeds and now I have this little rescue mutt who bucks every good dog trend in my life! Where do I find the dog therapists y'all mentioned? She has every bit of fear issue, pee, barking, skulking and has lunged at friends dogs. I commit for life but she is testing me!