Minnesota's North Shore Campgrounds on Lake Superior

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by hiker74, Jul 28, 2015.

1. hiker74

hiker74 Member

Now that we've been to the East side of the UP along Lake Superior we want to see more of Lake Superior. We are in love with Gitche Gumee! Is anyone familiar with North Shore campgrounds in Minnesota? We would be looking for something close to lighthouses, good agate hunting, hiking, etc. Also looking for a campground with electric service and good bathrooms/showers.

2. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

Virtually all of the State Parks along the North Shore are great. I would encourage you to look at them. Split rock, Tettegouche, Gooseberry, Temperance, Crosby Manitou....

Lots of great places there. MN DNR has a good website on them.

3. hiker74

hiker74 Member

Thanks...I was just told about Thompsonite hunting...so now I'll have more rocks to haul back home [A]

4. Steph

Steph Member

St. Croix River Valley - Indianhead Region
    I agree with MN Campers. You will not be disappointed at any of the parks along the North Shore.
    You will also be near Split Rock Lighthouse. It's an interesting place to visit and some simple hiking trails.
    Gooseberry falls is beautiful this time of year with great hiking.
    Enjoy your trip, just don't forget the sweatshirt, after all, it is the North Shore.

5. hiker74

hiker74 Member

Thank you all
    Lake Superior in general is a magical place. People who haven't been to it don't understand

6. vmswilliamson

vmswilliamson Member

I want to recommend Lamb's. It is a private campground, but one of our favorites on the North Shore. The campground is on the water side of the highway with Rocky shoreline. Rustic and plenty of room between campsites.

7. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

Stayed more inland in MN a couple years ago. Visited Gooseberry SP. very scenic, but when driving through the loops, the sites looked very close together. Did not look like any electrical hookups at the sites.

8. Wingo

Wingo New Member

Can't go wrong with any of the state parks on the shore.

9. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Friends of our recently returned from the North Shore, and their nature photos were fabulous. They stayed at a couple of state parks. It's their annual big vacation each year. DH & I just haven't had the chance to get up there. BTW, the North Shore is lovingly referred to as the "Norwegian Riveria" due to the high Scandanavian population in MN (me included).