Mirror Mod

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by ffnptown, Apr 29, 2010.

1. ffnptown

ffnptown Every vacation is another adventure!

Maybe a stupis question, but has anyone come up with a way to install a small mirror (permanent or otherwise) in a camper. We have a small mirror we hang from the coil of our bunk light, but it is always in the way.

2. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

I will have to take pics to share but we put ours on our door, used industrial strength double side tape and have no problems.

3. 4U2NV

4U2NV Back from the darkside!

I thought about replacing one of the sliding windows on the door with a plexiglass mirror mounted into the window frame. I had an 80s Coleman that had this and it came in handy.

4. outdoorxman

outdoorxman The mountains are calling me and I must go.

Our 2000 Coleman had a fold down paper towel and mirror rack that folded up to the ceiling when closed. The mirror was made from a reflective coating over cardboard. I planned on replacing it with an actual glass mirror. Check with your local Coleman/Fleetwood dealer. It was an option.

Phil

5. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

Be careful with the mirror mod in the door panel as you could scare yourself to death when you wake up in the morning [}:)]

HeatherTS likes this.
  6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Our pup has a mirrored panel in the door. Not the clearest to look at, but we do have to watch the reflection of the sun, it can be blinding to swing the door open if things are at just the right angles.

7. RotHappens

RotHappens New Member

A mirror mod... that is a GREAT idea! I think I might have to add a little more framing to Project Phoenix so I can get some backing for some screws in the ceiling, and add a fold-down mirror.

Thanks so much for the idea!

8. Crazycoleman

Crazycoleman It is so much better when you wake up IN the pup!

Our Scamper has a cabinet that is accessed from a door on the top. The cabinet has a false bottom in it, and the power cord stores under that. But the door folds up and lays against the side of the camper, and has a mirror mounted to the bottom of it. It was there when we got the trailer, and when I replaced that door last summer in our minor rebuild, I put the mirror back on. Seemed like a good idea.

ROb

9. ffnptown

ffnptown Every vacation is another adventure!

Great ideas....my wife and I have been banging out heads trying to figure out a solution. I am not really confortable screw anything in the roof, but why didn't we think about the back of the door.....duh! [:O]

10. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Just another IDEA for you. Years ago you could buy Stick-on mirrors that had an adhesive backing that would grab onto almost on any surface. There is probably a surface somewhere inside your PUP where these would work. Can't direct you to any place to still get them though. Maybe a local glass shop that has plexiglass mirrors if you're worried about breaking them ---7 years Bad luck.
    We use just a small stainless mirror available at any Camping store.

11. Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot New Member

I agree that not having the mirrow can be as nice as not having television (but probably ends up being kinda scary for neighbouring campers).

The back of the door mirror is prbably our next mod. DW will love it!

Thanks!

12. pinecone

pinecone New Member

We just have a hand held mirror, the kind you'd use to look into, at the bathroom mirror, in order to see the back of your head in the main mirror. (did that make ANY sense?) lol

It has some fishing line (about 12") through the eye hole at the base of the handle where you'd hang it for storage, with a big swivel tied to the other end. I then put a stick-on type hook up near the roof of the pup high enough that it is hidden under the roof ruffle thing. The swivel at the end of the fishing line hooks onto the hidden hook and the mirror then hangs above the sink.

Here is a picture where you can see it (sort of) hanging above the sink:
    [​IMG]

It doesn't get used a lot, but it is handy to do a quick face check after washing up, or for checking that all your hair made it into the hair elastic or clip.

When we pack up it stores in a drawer.

13. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

Thats exactly what we do pinecone, nice pup BTW. [{:)]

14. pinecone

pinecone New Member

Thanks! [:D]

You do the same? heh, cool! :) I like that the mirror is then removable if you should happen to need it else where.

15. jmullan99

jmullan99 New Member

I have built the shower-rod-wire-rack shelf mod (2, one on each side of the pup). I use a magnetic lock mirror that sticks itself to the wire rack. While there may be better methods, it stays in one orientation. I thought about hanging a mirror with a string, but it doesn't stay put in one spot for hands-free operation.

Cheers,
    John

16. Ernesto

Ernesto New Member

DGF thinks this is a great idea and is on way to wally
    world now [LOL]

17. jkmk1725

jkmk1725 New Member

You could do a mirror with a frame and use hinges and a lock to flip it up and lock it to the ceiling much like the door. A piano hinge or longer hinges would work great......might have to do this in ours.