Miserable failure of coals...

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by dbhost, Jul 28, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I was getting in some practice with my do yesterday and had something odd happen.

Doing the -3, +3 method on a batch of biscuits, my top coals burned out super fast and of course I didn't have more started...

Note for reference, get more coals going when you put the food in...

Sjm9911 and Dusty road like this.
  2. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

Sounds like it was a little windy. The wind break on my Camp Chef table is lower than the top of the DO lid, so I wired old license plates together standing on end and that helps a lot.

3. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Yes it was actually a bit windy. I think I know what I did wrong. I'm using a weber kettle and a pizza pan as an improvised DO table. I usually use it on the coal grate, this time I was on the cooking grate exposing the DO to the ambient winds....

Dusty road likes this.
  4. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

What's really strange about this whole thing and it's probably just where food has been in contact with the Dutch oven but the seasoning on the lower half is pitch black and slicker then Teflon. The upper half not so much it's getting there but there is a distinct 2 tone effect going on inside the Dutch oven.

5. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I have the Dutch Oven Helper app on my phone - pretty nifty coal calculator!

hayyward likes this.
  7. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I haven't even considered an app.

It seems that there are a number of apps and several fairly reputable websites that are recommending a 3:1ratio so for example for 350゚ in my 12" oven they want 18 coals on top and 8 on the bottom. Which I get that's a 3 to 1 + 2 which means basically the additional 2 are supposed to push it to 350゚ instead of 325.

I can't find the Dutch Oven Helper in the Google play store so I'm assuming it's probably something for IOS which I don't have. However there's a large selection of the chevon calculators for android

neighbormike likes this.
  8. neighbormike

I tried to send a link to the app but not sure how.
    IMG_1158.PNG

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    hayyward likes this.
  9. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

How very strange...

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Wow, thats almost too much adding for me! Thats why i dont bake, too much dependent on exact temps.

Rik Peery and neighbormike like this.
  11. neighbormike

Hence the "app" [:D] I don't do a lot of DO cooking, but it's a handy little tool when I do!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

So I did some digging around, and that Dutch Oven Helper is an app for Apple, no Android version exists. However there are Dutch Oven temp apps out there...

I am seeing in the charts a LOT of variation between methods for temp control, I have in the past used the +/-3 method with some success, but this weekend was the first time I did it not in a fire pit with a tall fire ring, OR in one of those tall campground grills where the grate swings away and makes a 3 sided wind break / fire table...

I am also seeing the 3 to 1 method which is what Easy Dutch Oven Calculator. I have not tried that one, but with the +/- 3 method sometimes, more often than I care for, the top is undercooked... I might just have to try the 3 to 1 method and see how it works out.

13. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Easy way to remember. Take the diameter of your oven and double it. That's how many coals it takes to get your oven to 325 degrees. Every two more coals raises the temp about 25 degrees. If you are baking, 2 thirds go on top, 1 third underneath. So if you have a 12" oven, you need 24 coals, 16 on top, 8 underneath. If you need higher temp, add the extra coals to the top. Very easy!

Sjm9911, dbhost and neighbormike like this.
  14. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

If you don't mind math, DO diameter times 2 = number of coals for 325f, supposedly 1/3 on bottom 2/3 on top for baking, 1/2 on bottom 1/2 on top for roasting, all on bottom for boiling or frying but I use 1/3-2/3 when roasting also, I usually add 4 coals to the top to get about 400. If you add coals to increase temp always add to the top. If the biscuits aren't done in 20 minutes I move the bottom coals to the top and give it another 5.

15. neighbormike

Glad I have the app... by the time I am thinking about dinner at the campsite, my mathing ability is more than likely going to be, well, impaired :grin:

Dusty road, Sjm9911 and Rik Peery like this.
  16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

He's the expert!

17. billbillbillbill

billbillbillbill Active Member

I had never thought about using an app. Thanks for sharing.

To never be out of coals, I usually light a few extra in the chimney and then when I have my initial coals on the ovens, throw a few new briquettes in to be lit from the extras. Throwing the 2nd batch in the chimney is really easy with lit ones at the bottom. If I don't end up needing to replace them, I can use the newer ones for heating the oven up for cleaning and oiling.

dbhost likes this.