Missing Awning

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by breprih, Jan 11, 2021.

1. breprih

breprih New Member

Hi all,

Picking up my pop up in the Spring (purchased last fall, the previous owner is storing it for me right now).

It doesn't have an awning. She said she is the 2nd owner and purchased it without one as well.

My question is, should I get one and if so where from?

Attached Files:

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

A simple eazy-up type awning (stand alone) would be more useful .... cheaper ..... easier to use.

kitphantom likes this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have had a popup with an attached awning and one without. My preference is to have the attached awning. It is very helpful when it's raining out. As Raycfe said though, it's cheaper to get a stand alone awning. A bag awning will cost you anywhere from $250-600 depending on which one you choose, while you can buy an Ez-Up style for less than $100 (The ez-up name brand starts closer to $200)

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

An awning is a personal decision. Many here just use a canopy right beside the camper as it’s quick and easy and way way cheaper. Many others here, like myself, don’t mind the setup of an awning and Want to put one on. However when I saw the price for a new 12’ awning for my camper I improvised and just used a heavy duty tarp and a few tarp poles. Even then I don’t bother with an awning if I’m only camping for the weekend. There are multiple places that sell awnings one that comes to my mind is “awnings r us”.

5. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

I have one blanket statement about everything camping including equipment. DON'T. Don't buy something just because it seems is a good idea. Go out and camp and prove that something is really needed. We bought stuff that we thought was needed but didnt. Determine the type of camper you are. We dont have a canopy becasue we dont sit in front of teh camper all day contemplating the lint in our navel. There is freedom in the less crap you carry, deploy and maintain.

kcsa75 likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

"We dont have a canopy becasue we dont sit in front of teh camper all day contemplating the lint in our navel"
    If this is frowned upon , i need a new hobby.

kcsa75, firepit and Econ like this.
  7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I like to go to the camp store and listen to the soda machine kick on and off.

kcsa75, firepit, Econ and 1 other person like this.
  8. theseus

theseus CamperMod Addict - Thinking about the Dark Side... Silver Supporting Member

I personally like the Campout awning from Carefree of Colorado. You don't need guy lines with it. It isn't cheap though.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I made an awning for our first popup , and learned quite a bit about best materials to use. Second popup didn't have one either, we ordered one from an ebay seller (bannerbeeze). Since our popup was an 8' one, we never installed the awning, preferring to just pack it in the tow vehicle when we planned to use it.
    The awning was handy on that popup, allowing us to set up an outside cooking area next to the camper. The downside is that it was not easy to retract once set up, given that we camp where winds can be a factor, it was always a worry when we had it out, so we tried to choose where we used it wisely. Only once did we guess wrong, we were inside when a wind gust from a thunderstorm lifted it, then dropped it, making it interesting to get out of the camper. We didn't have the outside kitchen set up, at least, because of bear regs where we were.
    .We continued to use a separate shade/rain canopy, since those are very handy where we camp.We also acquired a screen house, which we use if it is likely to be buggy, and not too windy. (Canyon winds flattened it the second time we used it, so we're careful now.)
    The awning on our small TT is easier to roll in and out, but doesn't give much protection in the rain, except at the doorway. We use a separate shelter for the outside kitchen, it is also used as a seating area (most places, I'd rather sit in the campsite than next to the trailer), and occasiona drying shed for my husband's hiking and backpacking equipment.

10. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

We used ours once before it fell off (and um while it fell off). It was nice! I've looked into replacing it but bag awnings suck. If I replace it I'll do so with one that can be cranked from the ground.

My popup is pretty tall. A free-standing structure won't clear the door. We do often use a screen room over the picnic table though.

11. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I would skip the awning and spend the money somewhere else.
    They give almost no shade anyway.
    I made the mistake of finally using ours and thought it was pretty cool.
    Now I am not so sure...It's a pain to set up and roll back in.
    It doesn't really block any rain (Too Small).
    The wife likes it and thinks it's cute so now I am doomed to
    always setting it up.
    As others have said...A free standing canopy is a better route in my opinion.

12. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I like to sit and watch the Sunday morning campers pack up and leave.
    Usually it's me packing up so every once in awhile it's to be on the other side
    of the dreaded Sunday pack up.

13. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm in the get an awning camp. If you're camping in the summertime and your Pup is facing some semblance of west, an awning is going to come in handy.

But ultimately, it's up to you. If you decide to go forward I would recommend RV Workshop www.rvworkshop.com. When we replaced the awning on our Pup, these folks were great. The price was fair and the service second to none.

14. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I call it tree supervision and I've found it quite rewarding. ;)

Sjm9911, Econ and Kyle R Thorson like this.
  15. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Why not go camping and see if you miss it?

kitphantom and Econ like this.
  16. Barbara Van Deraa

Barbara Van Deraa New Member

I’m up earlier than my husband , I go out make my coffee and enjoy the morning..., ours had an add a room , so I could be warm while waiting for my husband to wake.. portable heater... when we didn’t use the add a room , I simply hung some tarps to block the chill. We bought an Aframe in October. We are buying a pahaque canopy for it . It will keep things out of the open for thieves. I liked a canopy....

17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I get up early also. I still like to watch the animals thrashing around other peoples sites looking for food. Something about it is strangely relaxing. Maybe its just that there not going through my stuff. But i dont leave anything out. Lol.

kcsa75 likes this.
  18. afidmt

afidmt Member

As mentioned in previous posts - I had a PUP with no awning, I carried a pop up canopy and I made one out of a Harbor Freight Tarp -- Used both - both had pro and con

jmkay1 likes this.
  19. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I love having an awning. It allows for windows to be open on that side when it’s raining, a place to sit in the rain or direct sun, a dry cooking area, a dry place to take off muddy boots etc. When my original Dometic frame failed (camper is a 2000) I went with a Shademaker and I have been very pleased with the quality and price. I believe I’m on my 4th year with it and no problems.
    Putting it up solo did require a learning curve but with practice I put it up solo with ease.

kcsa75 likes this.