Missing Galley Kill Switch?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by SWalker, Jun 15, 2017.

1. SWalker

SWalker New Member

HI,
    We have a NTU 1991 Coleman Shenendoah. Mostly in good shape, but the wiring is not working. I plugged in to shore power using an adapter from house current, and get nothing, no lights or power at all, 110 or 12v. I noticed that we are missing the kill switch for the galley. We also do not have the furnace (not likely to need it in Houston Texas).

Under the roadside seat are a black and red wire not connected to anything, and the wiring for the furnace is bundled and taped with a label. The converter is a Magtec 6400a 6409. Open to suggestions on how to trouble shoot this. Not got a battery to connect and see if the 12v works. Brake and turn signals work fine from the tow vehicle.

Thanks
    Shaun Walker

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

have you turned off the 120v breakers and then back on (front of power center)?
    Have you reset any GFCI outlets near the sink?

I'd start trying to get the 120v working first.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Not sure if it's the same with your camper, on my old 1990 Jayco it never came with a kill switch. Then again it never had a battery either. So once it was disconnected from the power source it turned off. My old camper however did have some wires run up from the base of the camper to ceiling inside the canvas and those wires could get krimped and not work.

4. Jml96sv

Jml96sv Member

5. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Have you looked at the converter to see if there is a switch for shore power/battery. The older converters were not autoswitching.

6. SWalker

SWalker New Member

Hi all,
    There is a switch, and the breakers are the auto-resetting type. Might just remove it and try to rebuild it. upgrade it to charge the battery too.

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

the switch has NOTHING to do with 120v outlets not working.

The 120v side is simplely a sub panel, 120v via the breakers to the outlets, power goes thru one (15A) to the internal converter.

can ya post a pic of these auto-resetting type breakers?

8. SWalker

SWalker New Member

I think I need to rebuild or replace it anyway. It is a Magtec 6400a 6409

Attached Files:

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

you did what it says above the breakers?

10. SWalker

SWalker New Member

Hi,
    I did try to depress them, as you can see the PO broke them. Honestly, bad design to not have it covered anyway. I will set her up later and try again.

thanks

11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

In is ON, and out is OFF.

If IN, one push and it should be off and out, another push and it should stay in/on. The tip being broke is not a problem unless the breakers are actually defective.

12. SWalker

SWalker New Member

Hi,
    I did try that this weekend, but I pushed a little further than I had in the past (that thin plywood flexes so much) and it clicked, and the unit started to hum. Now the lights work and we get 110 also. I plan to pull the box out and reinforce that wall. It should be said that it is not a good design to be sticking out so far from the wall with no cover.

Thanks for the advice.