Mississippi Palisades State Park, Sullivan IL

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by dgsh3, Jun 15, 2014.

1. dgsh3

dgsh3 New Member

Returned last week from my first trip to Mississippi Palisades with my sister. The park was mostly empty, and we ended up changing sites from the one originally reserved, moving from site 6 near the front to site 213 near the back. There were mostly tent campers while we were there, in fact mine was the only popup we saw. While the park was nice and well kept, the shower/bathroom nearest our site wasn't so great. The worst thing though, were the hoards upon hoards of gnats. No amount of bug spray, smoke from the campfire, flailing arms, or words of condemnation would keep them at bay! There we all over you pretty much from sun up to sun down. Setting up and tearing down was brutal. Not sure if this is a normal occurrence there, but it sucked. We ended up driving to Galena on Saturday to spend the day instead of camp, fish, and hike. We ended up calling the trip short and headed home early, as did several other camper from what that checking station told me. Still, the area is beautiful with rolling hills reminding me of TN where my mom lives. I might have to give it a try again in the fall, hopefully when the gnats are gone.

2. EK41

EK41 Member

Thanks for the post, I'm going to head over there in a couple of weeks. The gnats have been especially bad this year. My camping goal this summer is to visit as many campgrounds in the driftless area as possible. If you are not familiar with this area, SE Minn, NE Ia, SW WI and NW IL were not leveled by the last glaciers to pass through so they are very hilly and heavily forested.

3. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

We just stayed there last week for a few days too. I have been there a few times. It is a nice park. I would say probably one of the better state parks IL has and it is very big. Lots of nice hiking trails. The bugs were very bad too. We had a mixture of rain and bad weather while we were there so we didn't get to spend a ton of time outside and no hiking this time because everything was so muddy. We were originally scheduled to stay at Thomson Causeway just south of there which is one of your favorites for that part of the state but they closed it due to the flooding. One thing we were proud of with Mississippi Palisades was that every site had been re rocked. Something that more parks need to do. I will agree with the OP that the showers closest to where we stayed were not that great, but the main shower bath house was better if you drive down to it. Beware if you have little children, there is no playground at this park which was a major bummer for my 3 year old. He has just come to expect that every campground will have a playground [LOL]

4. EK41

EK41 Member

Just returned today from Mississippi Palisades St Park. This is a great park with some nice hiking trails and scenic views of the river. I went on Thursday for two nights and stayed in a nonelectric site that was first come first serve. There are over 200 sites in this park but the way its laid out they are not all grouped together or nor does it feel overcrowded. On Friday night there were still dozens of sites vacant. Only complaint were the trains. Thursday night they seemed to run constantly, Friday night didn't seem nearly as bad. As mentioned in previous posts the showers were dated, but they were clean and had plenty of hot water. For $10 ($20 for electric) a night this was an excellent campground. Savanna is a small town, but still had a lot of restaurants if you like that while camping. This is also a popular area for motorcyclists as they can make a loop up one side of the river and down the other.

[​IMG]

5. dborn

dborn New Member

Hiking around the palisades can give you some breath taking views! Almost forget you are in Illinois. Careful though, because the trails can be narrow steep and slippery from the sand stone.

Gnats, as terrible the gnats are, they do no like the vanilla smell. So next time you go bring a spray bottle and fill it with a mixture of vanilla extract and distilled water. You will have to experiment with the right ratio, but because vanilla has a pleasant smell, there is no hesitation of putting a lot on. Learned this tip the hard way when we were camping a Wyalusing State Park along the Mississipi at the confluence of the Mississippi and Wisconsin river. Gnats were absolutely terrible!! Good thing we ran into a lot of nice people willing to share!!

6. prop630

prop630 Member

We camped here last week, been taking advantage of the nicer weather this fall and doing several trips during the week. About half of the campsites are closed due to flood damage but still plenty of nice sites available. We stayed Monday thru Thursday and had out loop all to ourselves except one evening a couple 5ers pulled in after dinner, spent the night, and pulled out early in the morning. Did a lot of hiking and sight seeing, the views are great and hardly anyone there. Nice campground, clean toilets and showers as well as lots of shady sites.

7. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Poopsies for lunch. Place is just down the road from the park. Don;t mind the biker theme it's a great place.

8. prop630

prop630 Member

That is a great place but didn't go there because we had the dog with us. We do go there several times during the summer on the motorcycle. Can't beat the poop pile and a beer for a tasty lunch.

9. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

I'm not a big fan of biker bars and everyone I know who rides tells me I need to go there. So last summer my son and I rode out to J&P cycles in Iowa (I needed some different mirrors for my wife's freewheeler) and after stopping at the motorcycle museum we headed back to Savanna. We stopped at poopsies for lunch. Not at all crowded during the week. I'm not the kind of guy who rides from bar to bar so I tend to stay away from all the "biker" places. Too many guys who haven't worn the newness off their tires usually hanging out at those places.